IGNORED

Teebox Location With Dog Legs and Shot Shape Consideration

Note: This thread is 1744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, garyt said:

How so? You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Do the math.

Moving left or right a few feet doesn’t significantly change the angle at 250 or 300 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do the math.

Moving left or right a few feet doesn’t significantly change the angle at 250 or 300 yards.

Again, if we're talking about just moving over a few feet in the box, I agree. But if we're saying move right in the box and aim well left to accommodate a fade I disagree. 

• Administrator
Just now, garyt said:

Again, if we're talking about just moving over a few feet in the box, I agree. But if we're saying move right in the box and aim well left to accommodate a fade I disagree. 

Why would someone who plays a fade aim right? We're talking about moving left or right on the tee box.

Here you go:

fades.png

That's someone moving sideways as far as they could go, and playing a fade to the center of the fairway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Years ago I read in golf magazine that you should tee up on the "side of danger" so that you imagine you are aiming away from something dangerous.   The key word is imagine.   I will do this sometimes and generally it's all a mental helper.  

—Adam

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why would someone who plays a fade aim right? We're talking about moving left or right on the tee box.

Here you go:

fades.png

That's someone moving sideways as far as they could go, and playing a fade to the center of the fairway.

I said aim left.

For me I sometimes move left or right just for the visual. At least for me it can help against misaligned tee boxes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

So watching the "Best Rounds" on Golf channel where they showed the old Tiger footage from Pebble.

A few times hes standing outside the teebox with the ball at the edge. What was his reasoning? Did he do that a lot back then as I dont recall him doing so in recent rounds I've watched?

It was hard to tell if he was doing so against a mis aligned teebox.

Edited by cutchemist42

• Administrator
8 hours ago, garyt said:

I said aim left.

I know. The point and the topic is about moving left or right on the tee box.

Not about AIMING differently. It would be pretty darn stupid for someone who plays a fade to aim right regardless of where they are on the tee box, left-to-right.

If you think it helps you it probably does, but you’re conning yourself if you think moving laterally a bit changes anything much.

Considering the fact that they move the tee boxes around from one side to the other and back and forth. I really don't think it matters that much. Just find a flat spot and take the time to pick your target and line up your shot. If you're playing a power draw, select the club that will keep your ball from going too far and into the woods or tall cabbage just in case you don't get your ducks in order and hit the ball straight. Same thing if you're playing a power fade. I noticed you're a 21.9 HC so you probably should focus more on landing the ball in the fairway at the elbow of the dogleg. I'm at 19 - 20 and that's what I do. Play a club that gives you the best chance at doing that. Moving from one side of the tee box to the other is mostly psychological unless it's to find a flat spot. IMO that is. This may be less technical that our fearless leader, but I think it's about the same. You have to play the course set before you.

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I do agree that a good flat area to stand is most important. I will tee it up one side or another based on trying to get a good visual alignment. The pros do this all the time. Is that why are they are doing it?

13 minutes ago, AlDena said:

I do agree that a good flat area to stand is most important. I will tee it up one side or another based on trying to get a good visual alignment. The pros do this all the time. Is that why are they are doing it?

Pros do all sorts of things that have no effect or have a negative effect.  Examples include plumb bobbing and laying up to a full wedge distance.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!