Sign in to follow this  
Waddaplaya

Driver shaft questions

5 posts / 614 viewsLast Reply

Quick question for everyone. I understand the modern driver shafts have gotten longer. I choke up on my driver regularly. What are my options with shorter driver shafts? I know that some people cut their shafts down and then try to re-balance the club. Can't you just get a new shorter shaft that is closer to the length you want? If so, how do you going about finding one? I can't seem to tell how driver shafts are sold. I don't see 43 inch or 44 inch shafts being sold. They usually don't even list the length of the shaft. Is it even possible to buy a shorter shaft and swap it out on your driver? 

You can buy some shafts that are pre cut, adaptered, and gripped different places including eBay. I would be very careful though with anything like that from eBay. However that does not change the issue of rebalancing the club, you will still have to add weight to the head if you are trying to get back to a certain swing weight.

The simplest way would still be to just cut down your current shaft and regrip, then lead tape it to get it back to weight. If you are wanting a new shaft then I would either buy it raw and have someone do the reshaft, or some retailers will do the prep work and install the adapter, cut to length and grip for you. Again eBay is more of a gamble unless you know your seller.

Ok so what I will probably do is have my local fitters put me in a shaft they think will work better and then I imagine they can add weight to balance it out without lead tape. However they add the weight I am not sure, but I thought it was as simple as buying another shaft and popping it on there. I didn't know those most shafts you buy would need to be cut down anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Waddaplaya said:

Ok so what I will probably do is have my local fitters put me in a shaft they think will work better and then I imagine they can add weight to balance it out without lead tape. However they add the weight I am not sure, but I thought it was as simple as buying another shaft and popping it on there. I didn't know those most shafts you buy would need to be cut down anyway. 

Raw shafts are 46 inches 99% of the time. A few come raw 47 inch. If you buy a fairway wood shaft they are usually around 43 inches raw. In any case, you have to cut them down unless you are looking to play a 47 1/2 inch driver.

@Waddaplaya  Most driver shafts are 46 inches long and feature a parallel tip section of 3 to 6 inches.  That allows the club builder some latitude when assembling the club.  Keep in mind that "driver shaft" is something of a misnomer - the same shaft, trimmed appropriately, can be used to build a 3 wood, or 5 wood, provided the bore diameter is suitable.

Oh well...great minds think alike.  Excuse the redundant post.

Edited by Piz
addendum

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this