13 posts / 1022 viewsLast Reply

I’m coming from tennis where I have spent my last 20 years doing swings. I grip the racket with a very strong grip, meaning the racket head is pointing down. This is how I feel most comfortable. I just set my wrists early and then I can swing through without much thinking.

I

n Golf this would mean a very strong grip to have the same feelings.

O

f I try a more neutral grip it feels like I won't swing the club anymore, only carry it back and forward with stiff wrists.

Has anyone experienced some similar or other transition processes from Tennis to Golf?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Besides the process of improving at both sports being somewhat similar (I say this as a former collegiate level tennis player) I wouldn’t generally consider it wise to draw any kind of parallel between the two sports as the mechanics are quite different.

I've played tennis at a high competitive level.   I guess I've never made a comparison between the two sports when it comes to fundamentals.    

Why not start a Member Swing.   Even golf setup can be helped via video.   You'll find the membership warm and welcoming especially if you participate frequently.

Member Swing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

agreed. As a former competitive player I just look at it as two different sports and do not play tennis golf. Better to take lessons and groove the correct grip and it will feel natural before too long. Maybe even an hour. 

I have an older cousin who is a semi retired, professional tennis coach. He now donates his time, and knowledge to a local highschool in his area. 

We have talked about tennis vs golf. Other than swinging a "tool" to hit a ball, and hand eye coordination, he says there are very few similarities in the two games. 

He does tend to grip a golf club with too much of a physically strong grip. This because of the grip pressure he uses with a tennis racquet. 

Funny, Billchao. Tennis is possibly even tougher than golf to learn (say, the equivalent to scratch ability) but people tend to feel more comfortable with a lack of ability in tennis than in golf, the special pastime that reminds you every day precisely where you stand. 

As for the grip pressure, Patch, I was taught to hold on to the racquet as loosely as possible and only grip it at the moment of impact and release it. That did wonders for my body. In golf I need to grip it a bit earlier and longer. 

Edited by Epopt
mistaken word that confused the post

11 hours ago, Epopt said:

Tennis is possibly even tougher than golf to learn (say, the equivalent to scratch ability)

Not even close.

Having played tennis for years, (no way is tennis more difficult), my only thought is that a tennis swing might promote too much shoulder turn.  The last thing you want to do is crank a forehand winner with your driver.

John

19 hours ago, Epopt said:

Funny, Billchao. Tennis is possibly even tougher than golf to learn (say, the equivalent to scratch ability) but people tend to feel more comfortable with a lack of ability in tennis than in golf, the special pastime that reminds you every day precisely where you stand. 

Not even close.

7 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Having played tennis for years, (no way is tennis more difficult), my only thought is that a tennis swing might promote too much shoulder turn.  The last thing you want to do is crank a forehand winner with your driver.

I think tennis can teach you about spin. I learned soccer and tennis before golf.

True that! There was a time when I played a lot of tennis. I, and a friend, would play almost every day after work, and we got pretty good. He was 6'3", I'm 5'9", and he liked to take me deep and charge the net, Once I figured how to hit a deep topspin lob, he stopped doing that! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman