Jump to content
IGNORED

New York City Public Golf Compared


LICC
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, billchao said:

That's crap, dude. Stop claiming everything "NY area" just because it's within 2 hours driving distance. I live in Central Jersey, not NYC Metro area. By your standard, NYC and Philly are "Central Jersey Area" so I claim everything you claim as my own, plus extras. Bethpage Black is in a 2 hour radius from me, so it's mine :-P

Even on Long Island, Montauk Downs is in no way the "NYC Metro Area." There isn't a whole lot "metro" about most of Suffolk County. 

Plus, I live in Eastern Connecticut and can practically get to NYC in two hours. 

Jamieson Weiss

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TS3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 3-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's crap, dude. Stop claiming everything "NY area" just because it's within 2 hours driving distance. I live in Central Jersey, not NYC Metro area. By your standard, NYC and Philly are "Central Jersey Area" so I claim everything you claim as my own, plus extras. Bethpage Black is in a 2 hour radius from me, so it's mine :-P

If by central Jersey you mean Summit, Chatham, Montclair, Westfield, Clifton, etc., then I hate to break it to you but that is the NY-Metro area.

Just now, jamo said:

Even on Long Island, Montauk Downs is in no way the "NYC Metro Area." There isn't a whole lot "metro" about most of Suffolk County. 

Plus, I live in Eastern Connecticut and can practically get to NYC in two hours. 

Suffolk County is no doubt part of the NY Metro area.  NYCers drive out to Montauk for weekends. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, LICC said:

If by central Jersey you mean Summit, Chatham, Montclair, Westfield, Clifton, etc., then I hate to break it to you but that is the NY-Metro area.

None of those and you can't tell me where I live, dude. I can commute to NYC just as easily as I can commute to Philly.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

NYCers drive out to Montauk for weekends. 

They also drive down to the Jersey Shore. That's part of the NY Metro area now, too?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, billchao said:

None of those and you can't tell me where I live, dude. I can commute to NYC just as easily as I can commute to Philly.

From Wikipedia: The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's crap, dude. Stop claiming everything "NY area" just because it's within 2 hours driving distance. I live in Central Jersey, not NYC Metro area. By your standard, NYC and Philly are "Central Jersey Area" so I claim everything you claim as my own, plus extras. Bethpage Black is in a 2 hour radius from me, so it's mine :-P

You should start a thread about all the great golf courses in the Central NJ metro area. It can extend all the way to Baltimore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

From Wikipedia: The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

These are US OMB designations, so take it up with the Federal government if you don't like being designated as part of the NY Metro Area ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Just now, LICC said:

From Wikipedia: The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

Damn, you brought out the Wikipedia, keeper of all knowledge, knower of all things, and ultimate decider of all debates. I guess you win 🙃

What is Demographia and why should I care what they have to say?

3 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

You should start a thread about all the great golf courses in the Central NJ metro area. It can extend all the way to Baltimore.

It's all encompassing. I claim NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, part of the D.C. Metro area, Atlantic City, parts of Connecticut, the list goes on.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Damn, you brought out the Wikipedia, keeper of all knowledge, knower of all things, and ultimate decider of all debates. I guess you win 🙃

What is Demographia and why should I care what they have to say?

It's all encompassing. I claim NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, part of the D.C. Metro area, Atlantic City, parts of Connecticut, the list goes on.

Like I said, go complain to the Federal government since you seem to have a problem with how the NY Metro area is defined by them. I'm not sure why you are even pushing back on this. The topic is about golf courses in areas around NYC. If it really bothers you that an under two-hour drive is too wide a radius, ok, let's call it 1-1/2 hours and not count Montauk Downs. Hope that makes you feel better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
9 minutes ago, LICC said:

Like I said, go complain to the Federal government since you seem to have a problem with how the NY Metro area is defined by them. I'm not sure why you are even pushing back on this. The topic is about golf courses in areas around NYC. If it really bothers you that an under two-hour drive is too wide a radius, ok, let's call it 1-1/2 hours and not count Montauk Downs. Hope that makes you feel better.

My point is you picked a 2 hour radius as your designation for NYC area. Most people don't typically consider a 2 hour one way drive to a golf course as "in the area" because it's too far a drive for regular play. Atlantic City Country Club is less than 2 hours from me, and I don't consider that in my area. By that definition, Torrey Pines is in the LA area and we all know it's not.

NJ has a great selection of golf courses. NYC does not. You have to leave what most people would normally define (not the Federal government definition) as a metropolitan area to play at most of the courses you listed.

When's the last time you played Neshanic? What's metropolitan about that town? I've never met anyone there that claims to be a New Yorker or lives in the NY metro area.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who live in NYC will drive to Montauk and play. Neshanic is an 1 hour and 20 minute drive from midtown. Probably 1 hour from Jersey City. If a Jersey friend and I plan to play then Neshanic is an option. I wouldn't go there otherwise because where I live I can play courses just as good or better that are closer to me, but if you are looking at public golf course options in the NYC- Metro area then Neshanic is one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
32 minutes ago, LICC said:

People who live in NYC will drive to Montauk and play. Neshanic is an 1 hour and 20 minute drive from midtown. Probably 1 hour from Jersey City. If a Jersey friend and I plan to play then Neshanic is an option. I wouldn't go there otherwise because where I live I can play courses just as good or better that are closer to me, but if you are looking at public golf course options in the NYC- Metro area then Neshanic is one. 

I don't know what to tell you, man. I'm inclined to say you're willing to drive farther because you have to. I can play good to great courses 30 minutes from me, so I'm less likely to drive an hour and a half or more to play golf, unless it's a special occasion (like when I drag @nevets88 to the course, then we will find somewhere nice to play).

I don't consider an hour or longer drive to be local. Like I said, ACCC (and so is BPB) is an option for me, but I consider neither one in my area.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The origin of this post was because someone said New Yorkers pump up Bethpage because public golf in the NY area is not good. Bethpage is an hour or more drive from midtown. No one would consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course. I don’t know what else to tell you either, man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
28 minutes ago, LICC said:

The origin of this post was because someone said New Yorkers pump up Bethpage because public golf in the NY area is not good. Bethpage is an hour or more drive from midtown. No one would consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course. I don’t know what else to tell you either, man.

If you're referring to my post, I never said NYers pump up Bethpage Black. And I stick to what I said, it's just one person's opinion, you're entitled to yours, which you've made known. And by area, I meant like within a half hour of Bethpage.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

If you're referring to my post, I never said NYers pump up Bethpage Black. And I stick to what I said, it's just one person's opinion, you're entitled to yours, which you've made known. And by area, I meant like within a half hour of Bethpage.

 

I was not referring to your post. @billchao do you consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, LICC said:

@billchao do you consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course?

I can't think of anyone who doesn't.

But if you're trying to say Bethpage is a NYC area course and you are X distance from Bethpage therefore all courses within X distance from you are in the NYC area, I'll politely remind you that Bethpage is 13 miles as the crow flies (1/2 hour driving without traffic) from Glen Oaks. Bethpage is a lot closer to NYC than many of the courses you list as being in the greater metro area.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

If you're referring to my post, I never said NYers pump up Bethpage Black. And I stick to what I said, it's just one person's opinion, you're entitled to yours, which you've made known. And by area, I meant like within a half hour of Bethpage.

 

You don’t think there are some decent courses within 30 minutes of Bethpage? Obviously nothing at the level of the Black but I think there are good courses out there. Harbor Links, Willow Creek, Timber Point, Lido, some people like Wind Watch, Oyster Bay. 

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

I can't think of anyone who doesn't.

But if you're trying to say Bethpage is a NYC area course and you are X distance from Bethpage therefore all courses within X distance from you are in the NYC area, I'll politely remind you that Bethpage is 13 miles as the crow flies (1/2 hour driving without traffic) from Glen Oaks. Bethpage is a lot closer to NYC than many of the courses you list as being in the greater metro area.

Ok so limit it to 90 minutes away. Most of the courses I mentioned still apply. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
18 minutes ago, LICC said:

You don’t think there are some decent courses within 30 minutes of Bethpage? Obviously nothing at the level of the Black but I think there are good courses out there. Harbor Links, Willow Creek, Timber Point, Lido, some people like Wind Watch, Oyster Bay. 

There should be more choices given the population. I like HL and Middle Bay, not crazy about the others. Like I said, whether you like a layout is subjective.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
40 minutes ago, LICC said:

Ok so limit it to 90 minutes away. Most of the courses I mentioned still apply. 

How about no? Give a man an inch...

I explained Bethpage and its proximity to NYC. Bethpage is probably at the limit of what's considered a NYC area golf course going east, because you're already at the edge of Nassau County.

So I'll concede you Bethpage is a NYC area course and thus the same 13 miles or 1/2 hour drive from anywhere in NYC. Half your original list doesn't qualify.

And you put Galloping Hill on the same tier as Neshanic? I'm beginning to doubt your judgment in golf course assessment.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to New York City Public Golf Compared

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • Had my first outing with a partner and a friend today. He shoes up with some pure blade Tommy Armour irons and fat stick woods, plus a hybrid or two, and an old Ping putter like mine. I knew we'd get along.  I hit some good and some not so good, and two or three--pure CRAP! But the shot of the day, the one that makes it sweet, was captured in digital today. Traci got this shot of me playing my second shot on the first par three.  It finished about seven inches to the low side. No birdies but that par was a good one.
    • Do you just grip the club to light to begin with? Also, as long as you are not restricting wrist mobility and forearm rotation, you got a lot of leeway to grip the club tighter than you think. The club pulls on the hands with a lot of force. 
    • I played very little during Covid (probably 2 or 3 rounds a year), just started playing more again now and I've been struggling with consistency.  I notice now that my left arm (right handed) bends a lot on my back swing (even with shoulder turn) so I've been practicing to keep the left arm straight (with just 3/4 back swing with shoulder turn). However now I have another issue, in order to to keep my left arm straight on the back swing, I feel the tension on the whole arm including my grip,  When I try to relax my hand to have a loose grip my elbow bends again. Does anyone have any advise or drill on how to keep the left arm straight with the tension only in the arm to keep the elbow straight while relaxing the hand/grip?  
    • Being able to walk the golf course was probably the main reason my wife and I joined a private club years ago. There weren't many options in our area to walk unless you were a member at a private club. We usually only walk about half the year (the other half being the hotter months in Florida), but I would rather walk if I can. For some reason (and I have tried to figure out why), I play better when I walk.
    • @iacas how do the True Lux knit fit? I am 11.5 in all True shoes. The lux sport feels a tad tight in the toes the Ripstop felt a tad big. Washed them and now fit great. Originals 11.5. Perfect! I wear the lux sports every weekend to golf how do the lux knits compare?
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AlohaMarine
      AlohaMarine
      (51 years old)
    2. DCCarpenter
      DCCarpenter
      (42 years old)
    3. GL08191951
      GL08191951
      (71 years old)
    4. Morgan Mullins
      Morgan Mullins
      (73 years old)
    5. samie
      samie
      (60 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...