IGNORED

New York City Public Golf Compared

LICC

1 minute ago, billchao said:

That's crap, dude. Stop claiming everything "NY area" just because it's within 2 hours driving distance. I live in Central Jersey, not NYC Metro area. By your standard, NYC and Philly are "Central Jersey Area" so I claim everything you claim as my own, plus extras. Bethpage Black is in a 2 hour radius from me, so it's mine :-P

Even on Long Island, Montauk Downs is in no way the "NYC Metro Area." There isn't a whole lot "metro" about most of Suffolk County. 

Plus, I live in Eastern Connecticut and can practically get to NYC in two hours. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's crap, dude. Stop claiming everything "NY area" just because it's within 2 hours driving distance. I live in Central Jersey, not NYC Metro area. By your standard, NYC and Philly are "Central Jersey Area" so I claim everything you claim as my own, plus extras. Bethpage Black is in a 2 hour radius from me, so it's mine :-P

If by central Jersey you mean Summit, Chatham, Montclair, Westfield, Clifton, etc., then I hate to break it to you but that is the NY-Metro area.

Just now, jamo said:

Even on Long Island, Montauk Downs is in no way the "NYC Metro Area." There isn't a whole lot "metro" about most of Suffolk County. 

Plus, I live in Eastern Connecticut and can practically get to NYC in two hours. 

Suffolk County is no doubt part of the NY Metro area.  NYCers drive out to Montauk for weekends. 

1 minute ago, LICC said:

If by central Jersey you mean Summit, Chatham, Montclair, Westfield, Clifton, etc., then I hate to break it to you but that is the NY-Metro area.

None of those and you can't tell me where I live, dude. I can commute to NYC just as easily as I can commute to Philly.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

NYCers drive out to Montauk for weekends. 

They also drive down to the Jersey Shore. That's part of the NY Metro area now, too?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

None of those and you can't tell me where I live, dude. I can commute to NYC just as easily as I can commute to Philly.

From Wikipedia: The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

You should start a thread about all the great golf courses in the Central NJ metro area. It can extend all the way to Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

From Wikipedia: The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

These are US OMB designations, so take it up with the Federal government if you don't like being designated as part of the NY Metro Area ...

Just now, LICC said:

Damn, you brought out the Wikipedia, keeper of all knowledge, knower of all things, and ultimate decider of all debates. I guess you win 🙃

What is Demographia and why should I care what they have to say?

3 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

You should start a thread about all the great golf courses in the Central NJ metro area. It can extend all the way to Baltimore.

It's all encompassing. I claim NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, part of the D.C. Metro area, Atlantic City, parts of Connecticut, the list goes on.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Damn, you brought out the Wikipedia, keeper of all knowledge, knower of all things, and ultimate decider of all debates. I guess you win 🙃

What is Demographia and why should I care what they have to say?

It's all encompassing. I claim NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, part of the D.C. Metro area, Atlantic City, parts of Connecticut, the list goes on.

Like I said, go complain to the Federal government since you seem to have a problem with how the NY Metro area is defined by them. I'm not sure why you are even pushing back on this. The topic is about golf courses in areas around NYC. If it really bothers you that an under two-hour drive is too wide a radius, ok, let's call it 1-1/2 hours and not count Montauk Downs. Hope that makes you feel better.

9 minutes ago, LICC said:

Like I said, go complain to the Federal government since you seem to have a problem with how the NY Metro area is defined by them. I'm not sure why you are even pushing back on this. The topic is about golf courses in areas around NYC. If it really bothers you that an under two-hour drive is too wide a radius, ok, let's call it 1-1/2 hours and not count Montauk Downs. Hope that makes you feel better.

My point is you picked a 2 hour radius as your designation for NYC area. Most people don't typically consider a 2 hour one way drive to a golf course as "in the area" because it's too far a drive for regular play. Atlantic City Country Club is less than 2 hours from me, and I don't consider that in my area. By that definition, Torrey Pines is in the LA area and we all know it's not.

NJ has a great selection of golf courses. NYC does not. You have to leave what most people would normally define (not the Federal government definition) as a metropolitan area to play at most of the courses you listed.

When's the last time you played Neshanic? What's metropolitan about that town? I've never met anyone there that claims to be a New Yorker or lives in the NY metro area.

Bill

My Swing Thread

People who live in NYC will drive to Montauk and play. Neshanic is an 1 hour and 20 minute drive from midtown. Probably 1 hour from Jersey City. If a Jersey friend and I plan to play then Neshanic is an option. I wouldn't go there otherwise because where I live I can play courses just as good or better that are closer to me, but if you are looking at public golf course options in the NYC- Metro area then Neshanic is one. 

32 minutes ago, LICC said:

People who live in NYC will drive to Montauk and play. Neshanic is an 1 hour and 20 minute drive from midtown. Probably 1 hour from Jersey City. If a Jersey friend and I plan to play then Neshanic is an option. I wouldn't go there otherwise because where I live I can play courses just as good or better that are closer to me, but if you are looking at public golf course options in the NYC- Metro area then Neshanic is one. 

I don't know what to tell you, man. I'm inclined to say you're willing to drive farther because you have to. I can play good to great courses 30 minutes from me, so I'm less likely to drive an hour and a half or more to play golf, unless it's a special occasion (like when I drag @nevets88 to the course, then we will find somewhere nice to play).

I don't consider an hour or longer drive to be local. Like I said, ACCC (and so is BPB) is an option for me, but I consider neither one in my area.

Bill

My Swing Thread

The origin of this post was because someone said New Yorkers pump up Bethpage because public golf in the NY area is not good. Bethpage is an hour or more drive from midtown. No one would consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course. I don’t know what else to tell you either, man.

28 minutes ago, LICC said:

The origin of this post was because someone said New Yorkers pump up Bethpage because public golf in the NY area is not good. Bethpage is an hour or more drive from midtown. No one would consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course. I don’t know what else to tell you either, man.

If you're referring to my post, I never said NYers pump up Bethpage Black. And I stick to what I said, it's just one person's opinion, you're entitled to yours, which you've made known. And by area, I meant like within a half hour of Bethpage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

If you're referring to my post, I never said NYers pump up Bethpage Black. And I stick to what I said, it's just one person's opinion, you're entitled to yours, which you've made known. And by area, I meant like within a half hour of Bethpage.

I was not referring to your post. @billchao do you consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course?

6 minutes ago, LICC said:

@billchao do you consider Bethpage to not be a NY area course?

I can't think of anyone who doesn't.

But if you're trying to say Bethpage is a NYC area course and you are X distance from Bethpage therefore all courses within X distance from you are in the NYC area, I'll politely remind you that Bethpage is 13 miles as the crow flies (1/2 hour driving without traffic) from Glen Oaks. Bethpage is a lot closer to NYC than many of the courses you list as being in the greater metro area.

Bill

My Swing Thread

31 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

You don’t think there are some decent courses within 30 minutes of Bethpage? Obviously nothing at the level of the Black but I think there are good courses out there. Harbor Links, Willow Creek, Timber Point, Lido, some people like Wind Watch, Oyster Bay. 

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

I can't think of anyone who doesn't.

But if you're trying to say Bethpage is a NYC area course and you are X distance from Bethpage therefore all courses within X distance from you are in the NYC area, I'll politely remind you that Bethpage is 13 miles as the crow flies (1/2 hour driving without traffic) from Glen Oaks. Bethpage is a lot closer to NYC than many of the courses you list as being in the greater metro area.

Ok so limit it to 90 minutes away. Most of the courses I mentioned still apply. 

18 minutes ago, LICC said:

You don’t think there are some decent courses within 30 minutes of Bethpage? Obviously nothing at the level of the Black but I think there are good courses out there. Harbor Links, Willow Creek, Timber Point, Lido, some people like Wind Watch, Oyster Bay. 

There should be more choices given the population. I like HL and Middle Bay, not crazy about the others. Like I said, whether you like a layout is subjective.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

40 minutes ago, LICC said:

Ok so limit it to 90 minutes away. Most of the courses I mentioned still apply. 

How about no? Give a man an inch...

I explained Bethpage and its proximity to NYC. Bethpage is probably at the limit of what's considered a NYC area golf course going east, because you're already at the edge of Nassau County.

So I'll concede you Bethpage is a NYC area course and thus the same 13 miles or 1/2 hour drive from anywhere in NYC. Half your original list doesn't qualify.

And you put Galloping Hill on the same tier as Neshanic? I'm beginning to doubt your judgment in golf course assessment.

Bill

My Swing Thread