IGNORED

New York City Public Golf Compared

LICC

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

How about no? Give a man an inch...

I explained Bethpage and its proximity to NYC. Bethpage is probably at the limit of what's considered a NYC area golf course going east, because you're already at the edge of Nassau County.

So I'll concede you Bethpage is a NYC area course and thus the same 13 miles or 1/2 hour drive from anywhere in NYC. Half your original list doesn't qualify.

And you put Galloping Hill on the same tier as Neshanic? I'm beginning to doubt your judgment in golf course assessment.

Ok Master of Drawing New York Area Boundaries, it doesn’t really matter to me what you think. To say Suffolk County courses are not NYC area courses is just getting silly in my opinion. What courses that  mentioned do you consider not in the NY area?

Golfweek ranks Neshanic 4th best public in NJ and Galloping Hill 15th best. Neshanic is better but they are both top 15. 

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

How about no? Give a man an inch...

I explained Bethpage and its proximity to NYC. Bethpage is probably at the limit of what's considered a NYC area golf course going east, because you're already at the edge of Nassau County.

So I'll concede you Bethpage is a NYC area course and thus the same 13 miles or 1/2 hour drive from anywhere in NYC. Half your original list doesn't qualify.

And you put Galloping Hill on the same tier as Neshanic? I'm beginning to doubt your judgment in golf course assessment.

How about this for an objective list?

Golf Guides USA is the most comprehensive source anywhere for golf courses in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, along with golf course rankings and full descriptions. Detailed information...

I’ve never seen someone debate pure opinion so incessantly.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually, it would be only fair to consider municipal courses and public courses with in the city limits. 

Columbus Ohio doesn't consider Dublin Ohio golf courses in its prevue, why should NYC consider anything outside its municipality?

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve never seen someone debate pure opinion so incessantly.

We can’t even get to a discussion because some people have to fight me on calling courses in Suffolk County part of the NY area. 

I think one of the reasons Bethpage is considered a "NYC" course is because you can take the train from Penn Station to it. And it's actually walkable from the station. You can't do that for a lot of courses in the burbs. Of course now there's ride hailing, but the train never runs into traffic.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, saevel25 said:

Actually, it would be only fair to consider municipal courses and public courses with in the city limits. 

Columbus Ohio doesn't consider Dublin Ohio golf courses in its prevue, why should NYC consider anything outside its municipality?

So Bethpage is not a NYC area course to you. Taking that rationale further, neither is Winged Foot. Ok. You are pretty lonely in that opinion I would think. 

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

So Bethpage is not a NYC area course to you. Taking that rationale further, neither is Winged Foot. 

Bethpage is not a NYC course. It's a Long Island course. It's kinda presumptuous for NYC to take claim to a course that isn't even its municipality. 

When it comes to something like this, in all fairness the literal definition makes the most sense. Bethpage is not in NYC its in Long Island.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

You are pretty lonely in that opinion I would think. 

Fine with me. I don't need the consolation of being part of the majority in this case. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Bethpage is not a NYC course. It's a Long Island course. It's kinda presumptuous for NYC to take claim to a course that isn't even its municipality. 

When it comes to something like this, in all fairness the literal definition makes the most sense. Bethpage is not in NYC its in Long Island.

Fine with me. I don't need the consolation of being part of the majority in this case. 

It’s the NY Metro area, not NYC only. It’s seamless to drive or commute from one city or borough or county to the next. If you live in Queens for example, going to Bethpage is just the same as going to a course in Brooklyn. 

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It's kinda presumptuous for NYC to take claim to a course that isn't even its municipality. 

You're responding to someone who is taking claim for courses that aren't even in the same state as NYC area courses.

They don't have an NFL team, either 😜

12 minutes ago, LICC said:

It’s the NY Metro area, not NYC only. It’s seamless to drive or commute from one city or borough or county to the next.

Oh come on, I seamlessly drove to Erie, PA last month. I know people who commute from PA to NYC. That doesn't mean they live in the same area.

You have to pay tolls to get back to NY from NJ. That's hardly seamless.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I love how most of the people in this thread, who don’t live in NYC,  are explaining to others on this thread, who also don’t live in NYC, what’s is and what isn’t NYC area.

Take it from a life long NYer (mostly Manhattan, but also Brooklyn for many years), nobody here gives a shit what the “NYC area” is. Nobody cares how many miles something is as the crow flies either.

I can get to Bethpage Black - about 35 miles from the upper west side,  in 30 min on an early weekend morning. A few hours later, it can take me 2.5 hours or more to drive the same 35 miles home. Long Island (sorry any Islanders) can instantly turn into a giant parking lot in either or both directions anytime.

Actually, I can say the same for golf course physically located in NYC. Those can be even worse. Tell me to meet you in Staten Island for a round at La Tourette about 20 miles away? No way. I can literally spend half the day getting there and back.

So everyone please stop. And if you don’t live and golf in a city like NY or LA, thank your lucky stars.

Edited by chspeed
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I love how most of the people in this thread, who don’t live in NYC,  are explaining to others on this thread, who also don’t live in NYC, what’s is and what isn’t NYC area.

Take it from a life long NYer (mostly Manhattan, but also Brooklyn for many years), nobody here gives a shit what the “NYC area” is. Nobody cares how many miles something is as the crow flies either.

I can get to Bethpage Black - about 35 miles from the upper west side,  in 30 min on an early weekend morning. A few hours later, it can take me 2.5 hours or more to drive the same 35 miles home. Long Island (sorry any Islanders) can instantly turn into a giant parking lot in either or both directions anytime.

Actually, I can say the same for golf course physically located in NYC. Those can be even worse. Tell me to meet you in Staten Island for a round at La Tourette about 20 miles away? No way. I can literally spend half the day getting there and back.

So everyone please stop. And if you don’t live in a city like NY or LA, thank your lucky stars.

I'm not sure why you quoted me as all I was doing was trying to define a boundary for NYC area for the point of discussion, since the OP wants to claim as far as 2 hours away as NY metro area.

Nobody here gives a shit what the NY metro area is, either, just like how they won't say they live in the NY metro area. So far there's only one person here that seems adamant on defining the NY metro area as whatever the federal government defines it, as if that has any real meaning in our daily lives.

I'm not sure what the point of your post is, besides telling me New Yorkers don't give a shit what other people think. Yea, tell me something I don't know 🙃😜

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

43 minutes ago, billchao said:

You're responding to someone who is taking claim for courses that aren't even in the same state as NYC area courses.

They don't have an NFL team, either 😜

Oh come on, I seamlessly drove to Erie, PA last month. I know people who commute from PA to NYC. That doesn't mean they live in the same area.

You have to pay tolls to get back to NY from NJ. That's hardly seamless.

Ok now you are not even making sense. You pay tolls traveling within NYC. The midtown tunnel. The Whitestone Bridge. And it’s seamless- put EZPass in your car and that’s it. Disregard federal designations, the Golf Guides site, common sense, and just nitpick what is considered the NY area. Which adds nothing to the discussion. Why not give your view of the courses compared to what you have seen elsewhere? Contribute something useful to the discussion, please. 

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

Ok now you are not even making sense. You pay tolls traveling within NYC. The midtown tunnel. The Whitestone Bridge. And it’s seamless- put EZPass in your car and that’s it. Disregard federal designations, the Golf Guides site, common sense, and just nitpick what is considered the NY area. Which adds nothing to the discussion. Why not give your view of the courses compared to what you have seen elsewhere? Contribute something useful to the discussion, please. 

I live in Orlando and am quite happy with the choices of public courses. I probably haven’t played as many courses as you have across the country. But having been raised on the South as well as living in NYC for four years ....our golf season humiliates yours beyond any debate. So while you’re Driving by your possibly superior courses freezing your ass off and counting the days for the courses to re-open...I’ll be sipping a stiff bourbon on the rocks in shorts and an ugly white belt and taking in another 9. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, LICC said:

Contribute something useful to the discussion, please. 

I have, many times, attempted to make a clear definition of NYC area and the golf courses it encompasses that makes sense from a realistic and practical point of view for the average golfer. Yours is too large to be practical, and your topic dismisses resort destinations arbitrarily despite the fact that many people live and work in those areas (Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, etc.). Other people have pointed out these points, which you dismissed. Other people have cited lists and course reviews of other metropolitan areas as being better golf areas than NYC, which you've also dismissed.

You just keep moving the goalposts to make your definition of NYC area encompass better courses. Even other New Yorkers have pointed out that your travel radius ranges too far. At this point it seems all you're really trying to do is set the bar exactly where you want it so that your position is the only one that can be right.

I'd probably have more to say but it is late and I'm not going to discuss this topic anymore because it's pointless.

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I live in Orlando and am quite happy with the choices of public courses. I probably haven’t played as many courses as you have across the country. But having been raised on the South as well as living in NYC for four years ....our golf season humiliates yours beyond any debate. So while you’re Driving by your possibly superior courses freezing your ass off and counting the days for the courses to re-open...I’ll be sipping a stiff bourbon on the rocks in shorts and an ugly white belt and taking in another 9. 😀

That was almost useful except I never once said NY has superior courses to Orlando. 

Actually I am looking forward to golfing in Orlando within the next couple of years. Which courses would you recommend? I’ve had friends play Grand Cypress, Crooked Cat (I think that was the name), and some others. 

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I have, many times, attempted to make a clear definition of NYC area and the golf courses it encompasses that makes sense from a realistic and practical point of view for the average golfer. Yours is too large to be practical, and your topic dismisses resort destinations arbitrarily despite the fact that many people live and work in those areas (Pinehurst, Myrtle Beach, etc.). Other people have pointed out these points, which you dismissed. Other people have cited lists and course reviews of other metropolitan areas as being better golf areas than NYC, which you've also dismissed.

You just keep moving the goalposts to make your definition of NYC area encompass better courses. Even other New Yorkers have pointed out that your travel radius ranges too far. At this point it seems all you're really trying to do is set the bar exactly where you want it so that your position is the only one that can be right.

I'd probably have more to say but it is late and I'm not going to discuss this topic anymore because it's pointless.

More inaccurate posting. I dismissed Pinehurst? I agreed it has better golf than NY. And I’m not trying to advocate any position other than NY stacks up well compared to most of the country. Not that it beats every place. And I asked for people’s views, not magazine articles. 

In my opinion your harping on the 30 minutes from NYC boundary is silly. Golfers in NYC travel over an hour plenty for good golf options from time to time. You seem to just want to attack my posts for no reason. 

14 minutes ago, LICC said:

Which courses would you recommend? 

Grand Cypress a great choice for sure. Streamsong Red, Orange County National, Falcons Fire. The great thing is if you’re traveling with friends/family who don’t golf they’ll be plenty for them to do.

Hell, my podunk hometown has better golf within a 2-hours drive than what's available in New York. This is a town called Firestone in Colorado, by the way, where the population was ~1,750 when I was born and is still small enough now that my parent's live on a dirt road just 2 minutes from the "bustling city center".

In fact, compared to New York, Firestone is a true golfing hotspot! Here's a sampling of the notable courses available within 2 hours of driving:

• TPC Colorado
  • Castle Pines Golf Club (48 on the Golf Digest rankings, former PGA Tour stop)
  • Ballyneal Golf Club (46 on the Golf Digest rankings)
  • Cherry Hills Country Club (72 on the Golf Digest rankings, host to 3 different US Open Championships)
  • Colorado Golf Club (124 on the Golf Digest rankings)
  • Sanctuary (175 on the Golf Digest rankings)
  • The Broadmoor Golf Club (199 on the Golf Digest rankings)
  • Frost Creek Golf Club
  • Riverdale Dunes
  • Denver Country Club
  • Commonground Golf Club
  • Walnut Greek Golf Preserve
  • Arrowhead
  • The Omni Interlocken
  • Eisenhower Golf Course (on the Air Force base)

Not to mention the fact that Colorado has both 300 days per year of sunshine (that's a lot of time to get out and golf, even if you use colored balls when there's snow on the ground) and well over 150 course options within that 2-hour drive from Firestone. 

Truly, Firestone Colorado is a golfing tourism destination that clearly surpasses the New York metro area. The number, quality, and diversity of the options available far surpasses anything that 2 hours in New York traffic could ever encompass. Plan your next trip to Firestone today, and get a warm welcome from the <14,000 residents (note: you can't actually stay in Firestone, there are no hotels - you'll have to settle for a motel by the highway) as well as the owner of the only local 18-hole course, Whitey (no joke, that's the name of the owner of the only 18-hole course in Firestone itself).

• Like 1