IGNORED

Regressed to the Point of Not Even Making Contact

Bearhawk
Note: This thread is 1757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

The most difficult shot to hit is the one right after a shank. Shanks get in your head and mess with your mind. I crushed a drive today on the 8th hole. I was looking at an easy pitch onto the green and the possibility of a birdie putt. I shanked the pitch into the bunker which is the worst place for me to be. Fortunately I put my Philly Mick 64 back in the bag and escaped - nothing earth shattering but at least was on the green putting for par which I missed by this much.

I've hit a hosel rocket with a persimmon driver - well you might call it the wrong side of the heel of the club. I've done it with a modern driver too. I think tension causes them. When you're trying too hard.

My shanks result in either water or OB. Period. The problem is the shank is my natural talent, my innate contact point. I can try any method of swing and the ‘miss’ will be a shank. HH and his stupid ‘ fix your big miss’..shank. Earnest who ever and his ‘just swing the club’...shank. So I cannot play golf without technically some sort of compensation as that mechanic ( a good swing with all 5 keys) is a large deviation from my norm which is...a perfect and effortless strike on the hosel. 

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well, I agree with that for those of you who only suffer the occasional shank and therefore have the luxury of taking it so light heartedly. For me:

9DB19478-7F87-4B88-981B-C0187DEFFEAE.png

Holy metal fatigue Batman!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree with @Vinsk, a shank is strictly hosel first contact with the ball. The most rare of shanks is the reverse shank where you get the club so far outside that the hosel actually directs the ball to the left (for a right-hand player)

Colin P.

18 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I agree with @Vinsk, a shank is strictly hosel first contact with the ball. The most rare of shanks is the reverse shank where you get the club so far outside that the hosel actually directs the ball to the left (for a right-hand player)

Like a baseball player you could foul it off your left ankle.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well, I agree with that for those of you who only suffer the occasional shank and therefore have the luxury of taking it so light heartedly. For me:

I removed that offensive image from the quote above and would respectfully remind you that there are sensitive people and young children reading here... :-D

• Like 2

You all clearly need to work on your mental game 🙃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

You all clearly need to work on your mental game 🙃

Mental would be a couple of weeks of this carnage ....not 30 years.😐

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Mental would be a couple of weeks of this carnage ....not 30 years.😐

30 years and you still have the same miss? How bad can it be if you're an 8?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Slow down your swing. It’s possible that with your frustration you are swinging harder and harder. Try going as slowly as possible to make solid contact. Do that the whole day until you can consistently hit the ball at that speed. Then slowly get faster and faster until you start mishitting, then slow it down.

7 hours ago, billchao said:

30 years and you still have the same miss? How bad can it be if you're an 8?

It’s like a cold ...but much more often. I play rounds with no shanks. When I’m not inflicted I get around pretty well. I’m a poor putter and of course make the usual mistakes but can make many pars. But when the shanks come, it’s game over. That’s why I’m notorious for the Sat/Sun 78/94. You’re right about the mental as far as confidence however. When I get off the first tee with a good tee shot and know I’ll have an iron shot for the approach the nerves set in. Especially at my course where 14/18 holes have water on the left ( I’m a lefty). 

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Have you tried the clubs with no hosel?

I actually did. A few years ago I bought that wedge that was ‘shank proof’. After about 5 shots I managed to shank it and just laughed. It was the only gimmick I bought and actually sent it back for a refund. Usually they just accumulate in my closet.

The key here is making solid contact with the center of the club face. I tore my right rotator cuff two years ago and the mis-hits started coming. I've found that if I practice with my feet together and focus on slowly swinging the club to the inside on my take-away my contact improved. That should help eliminate both "toe shanks" and regular shanks as described here.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s like a cold ...but much more often. I play rounds with no shanks. When I’m not inflicted I get around pretty well. I’m a poor putter and of course make the usual mistakes but can make many pars. But when the shanks come, it’s game over. That’s why I’m notorious for the Sat/Sun 78/94. You’re right about the mental as far as confidence however. When I get off the first tee with a good tee shot and know I’ll have an iron shot for the approach the nerves set in. Especially at my course where 14/18 holes have water on the left ( I’m a lefty). 

I actually did. A few years ago I bought that wedge that was ‘shank proof’. After about 5 shots I managed to shank it and just laughed. It was the only gimmick I bought and actually sent it back for a refund. Usually they just accumulate in my closet.

Damn Doc..😯. A 30 year on and off relationship with a skank...err.. I mean shank.. 

Yeah, that can wear out some wood..err..I mean metal. Sorry to hear and wish there was an elixir.

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s like a cold ...but much more often. I play rounds with no shanks. When I’m not inflicted I get around pretty well. I’m a poor putter and of course make the usual mistakes but can make many pars. But when the shanks come, it’s game over. That’s why I’m notorious for the Sat/Sun 78/94.

That sounds to me like your game is based on your ability to time your compensations properly. One day you'll have it, another day you're off.

You already know what my answer to that is: find your priority piece and make a dedicated effort to change the picture. I see no reason that you can't make the swing change if you're talented enough to break 80.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

You’re right about the mental as far as confidence however. When I get off the first tee with a good tee shot and know I’ll have an iron shot for the approach the nerves set in. Especially at my course where 14/18 holes have water on the left ( I’m a lefty). 

Yea I was only partially joking about the mental game thing. People seem to be really bothered by mis-hits, to the point where nerves can have a negative impact on their game.

I'm kind of the opposite. I have this dumb idea that I can execute any shot I need to, even if the odds are against me. So a bad mis-hit in my mind is always a one off shot, even it already happened multiple times during a round. Like if I chunked a 9i approach on an earlier hole and now I have a 9i approach over water, the thought of "what if I chunk this" never even crosses my mind.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
On 6/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, billchao said:

You can "shank" from off the toe. The clubhead doesn't catch enough of the ball so it deflects off the corner of the club. Same result.

It's a toe shank, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I feel for you @Vinsk. My miss is a stunning pull hook, and not a low one, a giant sweeping hook that always lands in a spot that is impossible to recover from. I can hook a PW 30 yards off target except if I actually tried to do it. Keep working on it.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I feel for you @Vinsk. My miss is a stunning pull hook, and not a low one, a giant sweeping hook that always lands in a spot that is impossible to recover from. I can hook a PW 30 yards off target except if I actually tried to do it. Keep working on it.

When I hit that pull hook, it's with the highest smash factor I can achieve, it's prolly like 1.51 and it literally moves completely sideways at its apex without any vertical movement for what seems to be about 7 seconds and then it ends up in Canadia.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!