IGNORED

USGA Takes it On the Chin from Anonymous Whiny Tour Babies

iacas
Note: This thread is 1768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The USGA suggests that at least a 2-foot radius surrounding the hole “should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade.” The hole shouldn’t be placed on a steep slope on which a missed putt from above the hole will roll a long distance past the cup. “A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole,” according to Rule 15-3(iii).

Usga apologists please explain

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Pastalini13 said:

Explain what?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Pastalini13 said:

The USGA suggests that at least a 2-foot radius surrounding the hole “should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade.” The hole shouldn’t be placed on a steep slope on which a missed putt from above the hole will roll a long distance past the cup. “A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole,” according to Rule 15-3(iii).

They don't say it should be easy to make the ball stop there, especially in a major championship.  They don't say a shot to a bad spot on the green should be a simple 2-putt.  I don't like to see a ball roll up to a hole, stop, and then roll back.  But I don't mind seeing a not-quite-perfect putt from above the hole keep going.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 hours ago, colin007 said:

I loved Chambers Bay, I thought it looked so cool.

Chambers Bay is very cool.  Might be the best vistas of any course I have played and I consider it to be a bucket list round.  The problem was that the USGA pushed the greens too far and/or the greens were fescue and shouldn't have been.  I believe that a ladies Open is scheduled for there and the greens will all be poa at that time - will be interesting to see how it performs.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

All the greens have been replaced and the course re-opened about 2 months ago.  The next U.S. Open there will be well received.

Hopefully it gets another look. Have a feeling it’s going to be a while. Opens are already booked through 2027, so you’re probably looking at the 2030s at this point.

1 hour ago, gbogey said:

Chambers Bay is very cool.  Might be the best vistas of any course I have played and I consider it to be a bucket list round.  The problem was that the USGA pushed the greens too far and/or the greens were fescue and shouldn't have been.  I believe that a ladies Open is scheduled for there and the greens will all be poa at that time - will be interesting to see how it performs.

I've read that the weather is what pushed the fescue greens to dormancy, unusual weather for the season.  When water was applied to try to help the fescue recover, if fueled the growth of poa, resulting in the bumpy surfaces.  Sometimes the best science doesn't work the way you hope it will.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Davepo43, it's not that it keeps rolling it's that it keeps rolling and then rolls right off the green. The pga got it right with Bethpage. Long rough, tight fairways, and they didn't mess with the course between rounds. The problem comes in when a couple players shoot a good score and then the usga tricks up the greens overnight to artificially bring the field back to par.

• Administrator
Just now, Pastalini13 said:

Davepo43, it's not that it keeps rolling it's that it keeps rolling and then rolls right off the green.

What if a good putt does stop near the hole? Does the USGA have to choose hole locations that keep even bad putts near the hole, too?

And, how often have there actually been "bad" hole locations? One or two on Saturday at Shinnecock, and then, before that, the one at Shinnecock again, and then… Olympic Club when Payne Stewart was still alive?

You're reaching, @Pastalini13.

Also: https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/mention-members/

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, Pastalini13 said:

Davepo43, it's not that it keeps rolling it's that it keeps rolling and then rolls right off the green. The pga got it right with Bethpage. Long rough, tight fairways, and they didn't mess with the course between rounds. The problem comes in when a couple players shoot a good score and then the usga tricks up the greens overnight to artificially bring the field back to par.

Outside of Shinnecock 2004, when did they “trick up” the greens overnight intentionally to bring scores down? 

Edited by ChrisP

So clearly the usga can do no wrong right? Why is it that no one complained about Bethpage? It was a hard ass test. Only like 6 players were under par. Yet the greens weren't clown golf. There's a way to have a tough tournament without penalizing good shots. We already have the blueprint. Set up a difficult course and quit worrying about protecting par. If I wanted to watch people make bogeys and pars all day I'd go golf with my friends. When you make it rediculos the players won't take risks. I want to see risk/reward down the stretch not safe boring golf.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Pastalini13 said:

So clearly the usga can do no wrong right?

Nobody said that.

Bill Parcells says you are what your record says you are.....USGA deserves the criticism they are getting from the tour players and other insiders

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

5 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Bill Parcells says you are what your record says you are.....USGA deserves the criticism they are getting from the tour players and other insiders

They deserve Mickelson's criticism?  The USGA has screwed up every US Open for 30 years?  The USGA has made some mistakes, but not nearly to the level that many of the players are alleging. 

• Like 1

Dave

• Administrator
6 hours ago, BallStriker said:

The Tour player whined about the size of the purse. It’s the largest in golf.

So no, they don’t.

• Like 1

I think there are merits to each side. The players seem petulant in complaining publicly.  The USGA has made a long list of screw ups that should be stated. Rulings such as the way they bumbled DJ's ball moving ( though there was no evidence), selecting Erin Hills and praying for wind ( The Open courses can stand on there own and they do not have to have wind - The fact that these courses are located on the North Sea guarantees a substantial wind).

Each year, the military has petitioned the USGA to allow a limited amount of tickets to be given to active duty troops for USGA events. The bow-tied aristocrats refuse the request each year.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, BillK said:

Each year, the military has petitioned the USGA to allow a limited amount of tickets to be given to active duty troops for USGA events. The bow-tied aristocrats refuse the request each year.

They sell out. They do offer discounts.

1903E0F5-448C-42C7-8478-017A2C49AE9B.jpeg

I haven’t heard that from a player complaint, so that’s your own issue.

The petition was for Active duty troops to attend the actual event. If it is not a player complaint it is not important?

Note: This thread is 1768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!