Sign in to follow this  
Jwp

Rogue X Irons Are Too Dang Long

10 posts / 1617 viewsLast Reply

Having trouble controlling distance with Rogue X irons. Should I try chopping a 1/2 inch off them was told that it may help reduce distance 6-10 yards per club? I chopped an inch off my driver and 3 wood and already seeing the opposite effect though, they are flying further but I think it’s because I now have more control and am hitting the sweet spot. My question is if this is the case why do they make them so dang long to begin with? The distance gaps between these irons is huge because they go so far just trying to simplify club selection, 5 iron is flying like 220 and 4 iron is flying 240. I would be happier with a 12-15 yard gap like my previous player irons because I’m flying my targets. Should I just shorten irons or do all the wedges as well to keep the gaps all the same? Was thinking 1/2 inch on everything but not sure. I took an inch off driver and 3 wood and 3/4 inch off my 3 hybrid gaps seem to be somewhat consistent off the tee so far with driver carrying roughly 280-290 rolling out to 310-320, 3 wood seems to be carrying around 260-270 rolling to 290 and 3 hybrid seems to be carrying 245-255 and pretty much staying put because it gets up so high.  Problem is my 4 iron is 240 and still rolls out, these darn irons are long so was just wanting to get some opinions on butt cutting them down a 1/2 an inch, what do y’all think?

Edited by Jwp

Those clubs really weren't meant for you. If you can hit a 300 yard drive then you shouldn't be in the Rogue X.

Not having much time to practice anymore was making it difficult to continue using my players style irons although distance control was good accuracy was not. Wanted to try a more forgiving club but the distance is now uncontrollable. Perhaps the apex would have been a better fit for me 🤷‍♂️ Stuck with these for awhile and slowing swing speed down I get all over it and turn it left but is taking off a 1/2 inch will help knock off 5-10 yards per club I would do it today.

Hard for me to say. As you said, your driver actually ended up going further after cut down. Lucky for you, the answer is super simple to figure out. Just take your irons out and grip down a 1/2 inch and hit some balls. You could also try a full inch and see if there's any difference. Besides the grip feeling slightly smaller, everything else will perform and feel about the same whether you grip down or cut down the shafts. At that point, you can decide if you see enough of a difference to warrant cutting them or just keep gripping down.

6 hours ago, Jwp said:

I chopped an inch off my driver and 3 wood and already seeing the opposite effect though, they are flying further but I think it’s because I now have more control and am hitting the sweet spot.

So do the opposite. Get an inch longer shaft for the irons, and miss the sweet spot a tiny bit on each shot, and maybe you'll get a shorter shot.

6 hours ago, Jwp said:

My question is if this is the case why do they make them so dang long to begin with?

That's a great question. Most club manufacturers try to make clubs go shorter, because that what people look for in a golf club.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you get fitted for these clubs before you bought them.  Ideally, you should get fitted before deciding to shorten the clubs.  Of course, shortening these clubs will help improve accuracy.  Don't worry so much about your clubs being too long or too short.  Worry more whether they are consistent.  Very little variation in distance and you can then hit the relevant club for the distance.

If shortening the shafts had a significant effect on distance, one length iron sets wouldn't work.  I think you may simply have the wrong clubs for your swing.  The 6 iron in that set has 24 degrees of loft, which would be a traditional 4 iron.  I would think you would be better off having the lofts bent to get tighter gapping.  Going just by the distances you get with your driver, you probably have tour level speed.  I don't think you mentioned the shaft, but the stock stiff shaft in the Rogue X is a light weight KBS which I can't see matching someone with such a high swing speed.  You might need a heavy weight x flex shaft.

How long have you had them? Did you get fitted? Some stores have a 60 day playability guarantee and they'll replace them with something else more appropriate. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Going to hope shortening them 1/2 inch decreases the gaps between clubs a bit while at the same time will allow them to play a little stiffer. Looking back at when I tried them out I was probably not fully “warmed up” so they weren’t flying this far. I’m guessing I should shorten every single club in the set from 4iron all the way through SW for consistency?