IGNORED

Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

GettyImages-632781938.jpg

Haney was forced to address accusations of making racist, sexist comments on his radio show...

I don’t agree his remarks were sexist. He should’ve known the comment about guessing a Korean would win or someone named ‘Lee’ would draw hot water. I do think it would be better for the LPGA to own the fact it’s viewership pales in comparison to the PGA as is usually the case with male vs female sports. I just don’t think getting all huffed and puffed about an attitude like Hank’s, which is unfortunately very common probably, is the best way to handle this. This whole ‘apology’ nonsense is just that. It’s disingenuous and artificial. Hank should be called out for why he feels the way he does and offer possible changes to help. Instead he’s put in a social media choke hold to apologize and nothing really gets accomplished. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Lee comment was in poor taste. But I think his general point is correct. The LPGA has a problem and I don't see how they overcome it. The girls don't hit the ball a long way, and the tour is basically devoid of interesting personalities. Both of those things are extremely limiting factors in terms of developing fan interest and support. 

@Vinsk I'm not sure what changes he could suggest that would help to remedy the two things I mentioned above. It bothers me somewhat that it seems taboo to talk about the fact that the LPGA is fundamentally less compelling than the PGA. Haney crossed the line by alluding to race in a clumsy manner, so he is probably going to take more scorn than he really deserves. But the overall sentiment is correct as far as I can tell.

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

It bothers me somewhat that it seems taboo to talk about the fact that the LPGA is fundamentally less compelling than the PGA.

This exactly. This attitude I’ve read/heard from various LPGA players, announcers is ineffective and useless. It’s like we’re being forced to enjoy the LPGA and sexist if we don’t. I watch plenty of LPGA but it pales in entertainment for me to the PGA. So what? That’s the way it is for many people. Take what you have and do your best. Accept the differences instead of admonishing those who admit the disparity. And I also agree with his bumbling Korean remarks. That was just dumb. But the apology is such a joke. ‘ I highly respect these women’ yet clearly said, ‘ I can’t name six LPGA players’ and ‘ where are they playing anyway?’. Yeah...he really respects the LPGA.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I took Haney's remarks as funny, but some what.true. My exact next thought after that was, he would probably catch hell for saying it.

In this day, and age, when someone engages their mouth before their brain, they will usually get called out by someone. . 

Was his remark sexist? Racists?  Not to me. However, to others, yeah, it probably was, and they are entitled to their opinion(s).

Personally, I actually watch more lpga golf than I do the pga. (not much more)  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

I took Haney's remarks as funny, but some what.true. My exact next thought after that was, he would probably catch hell for saying it.

In this day, and age, when someone engages their mouth before their brain, they will usually get called out by someone. . 

Was his remark sexist? Racists?  Not to me. However, to others, yeah, it probably was, and they are entitled to their opinion(s).

Personally, I actually watch more lpga golf than I do the pga. (not much more)  

I’d just like to see a more mature and intelligent response instead of the usual ‘shame on you I’m offended’ rhetoric. I’d much more respect a response like:

” Hey Hank. We get that our viewership isn’t what we’d like it to be. But as a well known name in golf with a successful radio show it’d sure be great to have someone like you help promote our players and tournaments rather than just regurgitate the very unfortunate attitude we’re trying to change. How about a shout out for our ladies in their upcoming US WOMENS OPEN! ‘

So much more intelligent and thought provoking than ‘ Shame on you! Racism and sexism is never a laughing matter.’

• Like 2

• iacas changed the title to Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments on His Show
  • Administrator
Just now, mdl said:

Come on everybody.  You can be better than this.  "In poor taste", in this context, is a defensive, clueless white man's synonym for racist and sexist. If he meant to make a point about how the LPGA isn't as compelling and therefore he doesn't enjoy following those golfers and doesn't know about them, he could have said that.  Wake the f**k up and don't be an asshole.

QFT.

This isn't people being overly PC. The negative reactions he got are justified.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So much more intelligent and thought provoking than ‘ Shame on you! Racism and sexism is never a laughing matter.’

It was a lazy joke disparaging women and Koreans and not exactly comedy gold. He’s a muppet. I tell my daughters to ignore shit like this every week. 

Stevie T

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

QFT.

This isn't people being overly PC. The negative reactions he got are justified.

I agree he deserves negative reactions in regards to the Korean golfers comments. The other matter is a tough one. Why does the LPGA have such a smaller interest than the PGA? Why does the WNBA pale in comparison to the NBA viewership? I don't think it's fair to call someone sexist just because they don't enjoy watching LPGA as much as PGA tournaments. The way he said that was pretty stupid with the 'I can't name six LPGA players' and 'Where are they playing.' That's an asinine thing to say especially on air. But really had he said anything regarding lack of interest in the LPGA he probably would've been blasted as sexist and I don't think that's necessarily true.

• Administrator
Just now, Vinsk said:

I agree he deserves negative reactions in regards to the Korean golfers comments. The other matter is a tough one. Why does the LPGA have such a smaller interest than the PGA? Why does the WNBA pale in comparison to the NBA viewership? I don't think it's fair to call someone sexist just because they don't enjoy watching LPGA as much as PGA tournaments. The way he said that was pretty stupid with the 'I can't name six LPGA players' and 'Where are they playing.' That's an asinine thing to say especially on air. But really had he said anything regarding lack of interest in the LPGA he probably would've been blasted as sexist and I don't think that's necessarily true.

I didn't comment specifically on the details. Just the overall deal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I didn't comment specifically on the details. Just the overall deal.

Gotcha. He can be pretty belligerent on his show so he's certainly due some heat.

Being in the public eye like Hank etal are....You need to be aware of your comments with more concern than you or I do. I agree with much of what he said. I would not have said what he did if I were in his shoes...The talent on the LPGA is really quite good. Viewership for LPGA won't move because of talented play....There needs to be a bigger story. The PGA ratings were way down...Why? No Tiger. The story of Brooks wasn't enough...It's not like the PGA is rocking because of talented play. It is the sidebar stories that move the PGA. Right now Tiger owns the PGA.... So what will move the needle for the LPGA?  It is time for Bubba to come clean and acknowledge he views himself as a woman. Go play on the LPGA and look out...Viewership will skyrocket...Ha

2 hours ago, Big C said:

The Lee comment was in poor taste. But I think his general point is correct. The LPGA has a problem and I don't see how they overcome it. The girls don't hit the ball a long way, and the tour is basically devoid of interesting personalities. Both of those things are extremely limiting factors in terms of developing fan interest and support. 

@Vinsk I'm not sure what changes he could suggest that would help to remedy the two things I mentioned above. It bothers me somewhat that it seems taboo to talk about the fact that the LPGA is fundamentally less compelling than the PGA. Haney crossed the line by alluding to race in a clumsy manner, so he is probably going to take more scorn than he really deserves. But the overall sentiment is correct as far as I can tell.

Hell, I've made the same observation in the past. And it amazes me how those who preach tolerance suddenly become the most intolerant when you cross "their" line! 

It might be instructive to see why this situation exists in the first place. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the South Korean government can invest money to groom golfers. Why? My guess would be that we, the USA, provide the bulk of their defense against North Korea. True, Korean males have to serve a mandatory term in the military, but I don't know if females do. Thus, they are left free to follow that career path. 

I don't know that any such avenue exists here. Except for the college route. Being the international game that it is, many Korean ladies have played their college golf here in America. Heck, I live in Youngstown, OH, and we have two Thai golfers on our university's ladies team.  

I really loved and watched the LPGA when Carol Mann and Big Mama were playing, up through Sandra Palmer, Nancy Lopez, Juli Inkster, Beth Daniel and Dottie Pepper! Today about the only names I can quote from the LPGA is Michelle Wie, and Lexi Thompson!

Needless to say that will not stop me from going out to watch the YSU lady's invitational at Mill Creek this coming Labor Day  and the day after.These young ladies can hit the ball much farther than I do, and much more accurately. It's a delight and it doesn't cost a dime! 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Stop working so hard to justify asshole prejudice. It's fine to say you don't enjoy women's sports because you only care about sports because you want to view performance from the strongest, fastest, tiny elite of human performance, measured in velocity and acceleration, and don't care about skill, coordination, heart, competition, or anything else. But you're just defending hard sexism because you want to feel okay about your softer sexism.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 minute ago, mdl said:

Stop working so hard to justify asshole prejudice. It's fine to say you don't enjoy women's sports because you only care about sports because you want to view performance from the strongest, fastest, tiny elite of human performance, measured in velocity and acceleration, and don't care about skill, coordination, heart, competition, or anything else. But you're just defending hard sexism because you want to feel okay about your softer sexism.

You couldn’t be more wrong. You’re the kind I’m talking about. You think you have the omnipotent power to place someone as sexist if they don’t like what you like. The LPGA and the WNBA pale in comparison to their male counterpart’s sports. It’s biological not sexist. There is more explosive and mind bending displays of talent in the PGA. It has nothing to do with being sexist. Federer can humiliate Serena. That’s not sexist but I’m sure in your closed mind it most certainly is. And I’m not defending Haney. I’m saying it’s not fair to just place him or anybody else as sexists because they don’t follow a woman’s sport. What he said was disrespectful to the LPGA but it doesn’t automatically place it as being sexist.  

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

You couldn’t be more wrong. You’re the kind I’m talking about. You think you have the omnipotent power to place someone as sexist if they don’t like what you like. The LPGA and the WNBA pale in comparison to their male counterpart’s sports. It’s biological not sexist. There is more explosive and mind bending displays of talent in the PGA. It has nothing to do with being sexist. Federer can humiliate Serena. That’s not sexist but I’m sure in your closed mind it most certainly is. And I’m not defending Haney. I’m saying it’s not fair to just place him or anybody else as sexists because they don’t follow a woman’s sport. What he said was disrespectful to the LPGA but it doesn’t automatically place it as being sexist.  

You're not working hard enough. Yes, Federer would f***ing crush Serena. She's said so herself. That doesn't change the fact that Serena is the greatest tennis player who's ever lived.

And note how I said, twice, it's fine to say you only want to watch men's sports because they're more explosive. I'm calling you out because you're dancing hard around the fact the Haney didn't say that. He said some racist, sexist BS. Ask yourself why you need to defend him so hard. This isn't a troll or a mean internet call for a fight. I'm making a real request.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!