IGNORED

Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like Haney was right, a Korean woman named Lee won.  A woman that actually puts a 6 at the end of her name to differentiate her from the 5 other Korean women with the last name Lee on the on the tour.

Edited by golfonly

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Top ten (11 counting the tie for 10th) as of 5:35 or so.

• 2 Korean women.
  • 1 Chinese woman.
  • 1 Japanese woman.
  • 1 French woman.
  • 6 Americans.

A Korean woman is currently leading by several, but it doesn't make Hank's comments accurate or any better. If it was common for American girls to have the last name "Smith" then three or four of those six American women might have that last name.

So if everyone just had the last name of their country the final leader board looked like

1. Korea

2. France

T3. USA, Korea, USA

T6. USA, USA, Japan, China

T10. USA, USA

That is 6 USA, 2 Korea, 1 each France, Japan, China.

Just cuz a Lee won does not mean the comments Hank made were any less gross or put down the women playing the game at the highest level-Two LPGA players call my course home and they work their tails off-any more.

• Like 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

So if everyone just had the last name of their country the final leader board looked like

1. Korea

2. France

T3. USA, Korea, USA

T6. USA, USA, Japan, China

T10. USA, USA

That is 6 USA, 2 Korea, 1 each France, Japan, China.

Isn't that what I said before? 😛

12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Just cuz a Lee won does not mean the comments Hank made were any less gross or put down the women playing the game at the highest level-Two LPGA players call my course home and they work their tails off-any more.

I agree with that.

1 hour ago, golfonly said:

Looks like Haney was right, a Korean woman named Lee won.  A woman that actually puts a 6 at the end of her name to differentiate her from the 5 other Korean women with the last name Lee on the on the tour.

The other five women on the Korean LPGA Tour… yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

That's not how this works. It is their fault. It is their job to sell me and the general population that they are worth watching. They are the product. I am the consumer. I along with virtually everyone else on the planet do not consume their product.

That is complete nonsense. Lots of people would love to watch Lexi Thompson cheating her way to a win or whining Paula Creamer scowling her way around a golf course, or Michelle Wie focusing on Twitter rather than her golf. American supporters love that. What they don't love is Korean professionals with great games AND personalities doing well. That seems a bit like racism to me.

Look who decided to not shut up about this: 

hank-hanky.jpg

Hank Haney tweeted during the U.S. Women's Open doubling down on his statements that got him suspended, but clarifying his original tweet.

What a piece of garbage. This tweet sums up my thoughts pretty well:

Also wanted to share this, from an LET player:

IMG_2772.jpg?fit=1200%2C675&ssl=1&w=640

I’ll start this by being a bit of a hypocrite. I don’t want the golf media to talk about Hank Haney. But I’m going to. I really hope the majority of golf media covers the conclusion of the US Women…

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Hank also didn't "predict" That Jeongeun Lee6 would win.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My final thoughts:

Haney really does not like women's golf.  Fine, then don't talk about it.  If he does not like Koreans winning, again his problem, but this comes out as an inexcusable statement as he only complains about nationality. We have come to expect such media vitriol on many political stations; sorry hear sports is following this method. Hey, I am including you ESPN! I know it sells.

I have learned a lot for myself watching LPGA. the swing speed is close to mine.  I watch how they play the course because so much of what I have needs that aspect.

When I first learned the game, a multiple PGA champ, including majors, told me, after an early morning round,  which players to watch, given my style of play. He suggested both Lee Trevino and Nancy Lopez.  I won't bore you with why.  And he was right.

Finally, I find it amazing how many Haney supporters have the same or higher handicaps as this 68 years old duffer.  Perhaps they have a few LPGA golfers they could follow and not believe every thing the  broadcast verbal duffer says.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Kevin Van Valkenberg:

You don’t ever have to apologize for standing up for what you think is right. Virtue is its own advocate. The “you’re just trying to seem woke!” criticism always comes down to people who want to say whatever they want, but don’t want to be questioned or suffer any professional consequences for it. I don’t speak up about shit because I’m trying to get atta boys from the woke left. I speak up about it because I believe in it deeply. Because I have a lot of diversity in my own family (Asian, Latino, LGBTQ, you name it) and I have a ton of friends who have dealt with this kind of crap their whole lives. Mina Kimes is one of my closest friends at ESPN. She’d go to war for me if someone shit on me. You think I give a shit about woke points? I’d like to be able to look my friend in the eye when I see her instead of offering some mealy mouthed excuse as to why I just ignored a major name in the sport I follow (and used to cover) to make a statement about how South Koreans are so interchangeable, the winner will just be “one of them” and learning their first names is beneath me.

The is an entire army of chuds out there desperate to coddle to the dudes who are struggling with the fact that the world is changing, that someone like Michelle Wie has a voice she isn’t afraid to use and doesn’t have to just quietly take it the way the way previous generations of marginalized athletes did. And to be honest, the Clay Travis types and Dave Portnoy types, I don’t even think they really believe in the MAGA chud perspective. I think they see it as a business opportunity, a chance to tell these frustrated boy-men they don’t have to grow up or expand their worldview, they can keep cracking the same jokes they always did and everyone will nod along. It’s like Peter Pan’s Neverland, but for high school sophomores.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Kevin Van Valkenberg:

You don’t ever have to apologize for standing up for what you think is right. Virtue is its own advocate. The “you’re just trying to seem woke!” criticism always comes down to people who want to say whatever they want, but don’t want to be questioned or suffer any professional consequences for it. I don’t speak up about shit because I’m trying to get atta boys from the woke left. I speak up about it because I believe in it deeply. Because I have a lot of diversity in my own family (Asian, Latino, LGBTQ, you name it) and I have a ton of friends who have dealt with this kind of crap their whole lives. Mina Kimes is one of my closest friends at ESPN. She’d go to war for me if someone shit on me. You think I give a shit about woke points? I’d like to be able to look my friend in the eye when I see her instead of offering some mealy mouthed excuse as to why I just ignored a major name in the sport I follow (and used to cover) to make a statement about how South Koreans are so interchangeable, the winner will just be “one of them” and learning their first names is beneath me.

What's the context? Is the first paragraph a reaction to someone actually saying "you're just trying to seem woke"! to him, or is it just a preemptive passive-aggressive attack on the woke movement? (btw, it really pains me to see the usage of the word "woke" as an adjective).

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don’t even think they really believe in the MAGA chud perspective. I think they see it as a business opportunity....

Who cares what the underlying belief is, and how you justify your opinions? That doesn't get you off the hook at all. IMO, it's the actions that count.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, Big C said:

and the tour is basically devoid of interesting personalities. 

I know I'm late to the party here. But I disagree with this statement. 

I don't watch a lot of tv... okay almost none. When I do watch tv it's golf that I watch. 

Personally, I will watch either men's or women's golf. I enjoy both. I realize, of course, that I'm in the minority. 

Now, back to the topic. I think Hank did a great disservice to himself and to the LPGA with his statement. Will his statement have any long term effects on his career or the LPGA? Probably not. Is it the end of the world? Definitely not. But there's very little chance that Hank can come out not looking like the bad guy with that type of statement. He should know better. Plus his statement does nothing to help the LPGA. Hank needs to recognize that like it or not he's an ambassador for golf, all golf, male and female, and he needs to think about that before trying to be witty or glib. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Sally Jenkins (Dan's daughter) wrote a piece that appeared in the Washington Post today.  

2VXL6IEGD4I6TGGB5FC24XNY7M.jpg

Golf commentator missed a lot of good stories because he didn’t care enough to find them.

Interestingly enough, she wasn't particularly concerned about sexist or racist issues.

These are things a golf analyst presumably would pick up by doing even a passing amount of real work in the profession. But that’s just it: Haney doesn’t, not any more. He has become a stunt who tinkers with celebrity swings, Charles Barkley’s or Mario Batali’s. At this point, the Adam Levines and Ray Romanos are more serious about golf than Haney. Isn’t they?

If the PGA Tour and SiriusXM decide to dispense with Haney’s services, it should be because his first offense, ahead of sexism or bigotry, is pure professional laziness. 

She also doesn't care for his (mis)use of the English language.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Will his statement have any long term effects on his career or the LPGA?

I doubt it has any effect on the LPGA. But I'm guessing, after he doubled down on his comments over the weekend, his Sirius show probably is done. And, after that, are there many LPGA players or women that would want to be taught by him? He'll still get off on his Tiger fame, but this probably has hurt his career.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Sally Jenkins (Dan's daughter) wrote a piece that appeared in the Washington Post today.  

2VXL6IEGD4I6TGGB5FC24XNY7M.jpg

Golf commentator missed a lot of good stories because he didn’t care enough to find them.

Interestingly enough, she wasn't particularly concerned about sexist or racist issues.

She also doesn't care for his (mis)use of the English language.

I read that yesterday. That opening line is brutal (for Haney). This is how I imagine Sally as she was writing that article:

giphy.gif

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I read that yesterday. That opening line is brutal (for Haney). This is how I imagine Sally as she was writing that article:

Yeah, but it seems pretty accurate.  Really, Hank, trust you, that YOU have developed an amazingly effective pain relief cream?  And its called Voodoo?  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, but it seems pretty accurate.  Really, Hank, trust you, that YOU have developed an amazingly effective pain relief cream?  And its called Voodoo?  

It's 100% accurate. That's what makes it so brutal. He's not really a golf instructor at this point. He's a golf celebrity who sometimes gets paid to instruct people. Honestly, I couldn't name one person that has him as an instructor right now.

-- Daniel

• Administrator
2 hours ago, chspeed said:

What's the context?

Don’t know. I didn’t focus on the narrow specifics. Just the general tone.

Pretty sure he was responding to a Hank defender who was alleging faux wokeness or SJW stuff.

2 hours ago, chspeed said:

Who cares what the underlying belief is, and how you justify your opinions? That doesn't get you off the hook at all. IMO, it's the actions that count.

Not my quote. KVV’s quote, @chspeed.

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not my quote. KVV’s quote, @chspeed.

Yes, I know. I should've used quotes. I was responding to the KVV quote. 🙂

"Amazing how @tigerwoods has become the moral authority on issues pertaining to women," Haney tweeted Tuesday. "I spent six great years coaching Tiger, and not one time he ever hear me utter one sexist or racist word. Now, in addition to being a 15 time major champion, I guess he thinks he's also a mind reader? #glasshouses"

Wow. Hank just Tweeting himself to death. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!