IGNORED

Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

"Amazing how @tigerwoods has become the moral authority on issues pertaining to women," Haney tweeted Tuesday. "I spent six great years coaching Tiger, and not one time he ever hear me utter one sexist or racist word. Now, in addition to being a 15 time major champion, I guess he thinks he's also a mind reader? #glasshouses"

Wow. Hank just Tweeting himself to death. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

"Amazing how @tigerwoods has become the moral authority on issues pertaining to women," Haney tweeted Tuesday. "I spent six great years coaching Tiger, and not one time he ever hear me utter one sexist or racist word. Now, in addition to being a 15 time major champion, I guess he thinks he's also a mind reader? #glasshouses"

I really think Hank should just quit while he's behind. 

Dude, what are you doing? 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Following this from a distance it is very clear that Hank Haney is tone deaf as to what the actual issue is to which he is flaming a fire.
I agree with the earlier comments here, that he doesn't really know much, if anything, about the LPGA or it's players so he made a comment and then has dug in his heels because he can't see anything wrong with what he said. But just because he doesn't see anything wrong with it doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong with what he's said or how he has said it.
So, his comment about his interactions with Tiger (years ago), are also tone deaf - as he has no idea how what he said is interpreted by others.

He might as well dig in - because his days with a radio show are almost certainly over, as are his days as a golf "celebrity". His rise to fame was in being an advisor to Tiger; but Tiger has done well under others as well, so it isn't like he has some magic formula (as we can see, as he doesn't have any other players he has turned into great pros)

Players play, tough players win!

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I really think Hank should just quit while he's behind. 

Dude, what are you doing? 

Wonder if he's back on the sauce.

I don't follow Hank Haney and would not speculate whether he is a racist or sexist.  His statement, however, was belittling and dismissive of the women players because so any of them are Asian and therefore he could not be less interested.  As a golf "commentator" he would be wise to be more informed regarding the players on the LPGA and look into why such a small country as South Korea could produce so many talented female golfer (something about Se Ri Pak as a role model?).  What is true is that the USA is where the money is and regularly seeing a leader board with few Americans does not help with the purses and general interest in the USA.  By the way, I am one golfer that flipped between the Memorial and Women's US Open and quite frankly the Americans made a good showing.  The LPGA players are very talented and worth watching even though they could not compete with the PGA Tour.  But I would rather watch in football Michigan/Notre Dame, Alabama/Auburn, or Army/Navy than any NFL Super Bowl.  Hank, check out the LPGA, you might like it.

The bigger issue isn't  this  particular situation, it is the totalitarian instinct  of most people calling Haney out.  It is what Jonathan Haidt calls "call out culture", where everyone tries to one up each other in being offended. And the most aggrieved hold the most power. This woman thinks Haney shouldn't even be allowed to make a living anywhere in golf!!! Think how divorced from reality that is. 

gettyimages-1124524453-e1559148239396.jp

Hank Haney's racist, sexist, xenophobic behavior was on display for anyone who listens to him on PGA Tour Radio. If he is not fired, golf's leadership is saying it condones his remarks.

I can see how his comment would offend someone sensibilities. But the reaction is way out of proportion to the content.  I hope Haney continues to punch back.   You can't show weakness to terrorists.  

And it is interesting how quickly so many top golfers are quick to mess with someone's livelihood. Tom Watson getting McCord off the air. Jack and Arnie with Casey Martin. Tiger with Fuzzy Zoeller and now this.  

13 minutes ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

Tiger with Fuzzy Zoeller and now this.  

I know this is off topic, but I thought I remember Tiger coming out in support of Fuzzy? 

But I might be misremembering, wasn't that like 1996ish? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The shocking thing to me is that Hank seems to be of the belief that Tiger didn't hear the radio show, or at least the controversial comments portion.

27 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I know this is off topic, but I thought I remember Tiger coming out in support of Fuzzy? 

But I might be misremembering, wasn't that like 1996ish? 

I believe it was 1997, shortly after Tiger won his first Masters.   IIRC, Tiger was out of communication for a few days (this was more common in the previous century, when this incident took place) and didn't even know of the controversy until after it had been out for a few days.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, Haney does have a point. Tiger Woods is not the person to be talking about how to treat woman. Not after his previous track record.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

54 minutes ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

The bigger issue isn't  this  particular situation, it is the totalitarian instinct  of most people calling Haney out.  It is what Jonathan Haidt calls "call out culture", where everyone tries to one up each other in being offended. And the most aggrieved hold the most power. This woman thinks Haney shouldn't even be allowed to make a living anywhere in golf!!! Think how divorced from reality that is. 

Hank Haney's racist, sexist, xenophobic behavior was on display for anyone who listens to him on PGA Tour Radio. If he is not fired, golf's leadership is saying it condones his remarks.

I can see how his comment would offend someone sensibilities. But the reaction is way out of proportion to the content.  I hope Haney continues to punch back.   You can't show weakness to terrorists.  

And it is interesting how quickly so many top golfers are quick to mess with someone's livelihood. Tom Watson getting McCord off the air. Jack and Arnie with Casey Martin. Tiger with Fuzzy Zoeller and now this.  

That article you posted is crap (I know you're just posting it; I'm not saying it reflects you nor am I inferring you agree with it).  The article basically WANTS people to jump on the virtue-signaling podium.  As far as I can tell, most outlets have already said that his comments do not reflect their values and yadda yadda.  Keeping someone on staff doesn't mean you share their beliefs.  Reasonable people can work together even with those with whom they disagree--even vehemently disagree.  He said some insensitive remarks.  Big deal.  Pulling out all the -ism cards in the book on him is overkill; it is even more so to attribute those same remarks to leadership.  

10 minutes ago, Patch said:

Well, Haney does have a point. Tiger Woods is not the person to be talking about how to treat woman. Not after his previous track record.

I think Tiger was speaking on behalf of women golfers. Not of women in general. Hank was disrespectful to the LPGA and Korean female golfers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

Tiger didn't really say anything about sexism or how to treat women. He just said that Hank got what he deserved, and that's it.

1 hour ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

Tiger with Fuzzy Zoeller and now this.  

Think you're not remembering this correctly. Tiger accepted his apology pretty quick and moved on:

Tiger Woods clears up one major off-course distraction by meeting with Fuzzy Zoeller and accepting Zoeller's apologies for racial remarks he made...

It was similar with Sergio.

On the other hand, Tiger has a big bone to pick with Haney because of Haney's book. I have no doubt that's why he twisted the knife when he was asked about it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I just found the actual audio of this. At the 1:10 mark

Had I heard this live, it would not have registered as anything.  It was more mild than I ever imagined. This is crazy.  Haney should go on the offensive.  "Get in the hole" guy permeating golf is bad enough. Now call out culture on college campuses is infesting golf shouting people down.

39 minutes ago, Patch said:

Did I miss a Tiger story?  I remember the infidelity, which isn't great (I forget if it was ever resolved if he and Elin had an open relationship conditioned on not being a press story), and the texts, which who knows if the recipient was or wasn't okay with that language.   

If it were someone like Darren Sharper or Christian Peter were giving Haney flak over this, I'd agree that they aren't the people to talk about it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Think you're not remembering this correctly. Tiger accepted his apology pretty quick and moved on

I remember the situation as well as you can for it being 20+ years later.

That was five weeks later after Fuzzy lost his major sponsor K-Mart.  Tiger initially said something along the lines of how hurtful Fuzzy's comments were and how disappointed he was in him.  I distinctly remember an interview where Fuzzy was not his playful self and pretty sour on Tiger about how Tiger handled the situation basically not sticking up for him and feigning outrage. I think Fuzzy chalked it up to Tiger's handlers though.

2 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

I don't think it's a race to outrage.   He made a stupid statement that was in a lot of peoples' opinion, ignorant.  It's the doubling down and refusing to see that it was hurtful, ignorant or doing harm to the sport or more specifically women's golf.

There are a number of people who are in the spotlight who do something wrong, mostly because they didn't initially think it was wrong.  but the ones who don't get grief are the ones who think and at least acknowledge that there is cause that people could have been offended.

I am more disappointed in him that he couldn't have the grace to keep his mouth shut with both the win and to criticize Woods, when Woods was asked a question.  To my knowledge, the only people that can question Woods' moral authority on his life are his friends and family who he has relationships with.   he never broke any laws or did anything without someone else's consent.

—Adam

In this day and age, it's pretty tough to say anything, about another group, without offendinding someone who has a soap box. 

Along those lines, I just read an article on espn that "someone" in the nba wants to do away with the word "owner". The claim is, it implies the owners of the nba teams, own their players, much like the slave owners of yesteryear. 

Again, like Haney's remark,  I took this nba thing as just a funny remark, without substance. A joke if you will. However, apparently it is picking up some steam. 

Imho, in Haney's case the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Yeah, it was dumb remark, but still. That soap box thing again.  That said, Haney seems to be keeping the dialog going, which I think is wrong on his part. Best he lies low for a while, till it all dies down. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!