IGNORED

Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

The bigger issue isn't  this  particular situation, it is the totalitarian instinct  of most people calling Haney out.

Nope.

It is what Jonathan Haidt calls "call out culture", where everyone tries to one up each other in being offended.

And nope. I'm not offended, but it was an incredibly stupid thing of him to have said, and instead of admitting as such and moving on, he's proving what an imbecile he is with this tweets over the weekend and today.

I can see how his comment would offend someone sensibilities. But the reaction is way out of proportion to the content. I hope Haney continues to punch back. You can't show weakness to terrorists.

Really? You're going with "terrorists"? Dude.

And it is interesting how quickly so many top golfers are quick to mess with someone's livelihood. Tom Watson getting McCord off the air. Jack and Arnie with Casey Martin. Tiger with Fuzzy Zoeller and now this.  

Jack and Arnie with Casey Martin? Off topic, but… you're on the wrong side of that one. And Fuzzy's comments were racist as heck. Collard greens and calling Tiger a "little boy" and stuff? "Boy" was a racial term.

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Well, Haney does have a point. Tiger Woods is not the person to be talking about how to treat woman. Not after his previous track record.

He didn't comment on how to treat women, @Patch. He simply said that Hank deserved his suspension.

2 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

That was five weeks later after Fuzzy lost his major sponsor K-Mart.

Fuzzy lost his K-Mart sponsorship very quickly. Tiger was snorkeling or something for a week.

2 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

Tiger initially said something along the lines of how hurtful Fuzzy's comments were and how disappointed he was in him.  I distinctly remember an interview where Fuzzy was not his playful self and pretty sour on Tiger about how Tiger handled the situation basically not sticking up for him and feigning outrage. I think Fuzzy chalked it up to Tiger's handlers though.

Fuzzy's comments were horrible.

Let's stick to the topic, though, eh?

13 minutes ago, Patch said:

In this day and age, it's pretty tough to say anything, about another group, without offendinding someone who has a soap box.

It's not that difficult. And Hank clearly doesn't give a flip since he's on the offensive now.

13 minutes ago, Patch said:

Imho, in Haney's case the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Yeah, it was dumb remark, but still. That soap box thing again.  That said, Haney seems to be keeping the dialog going, which I think is wrong on his part. Best he lies low for a while, till it all dies down. 

He's not. That further justifies his suspension. For all you know, they chatted with him, and he continued to see nothing wrong or even mildly inappropriate, so they suspended him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

There are a number of people who are in the spotlight who do something wrong, mostly because they didn't initially think it was wrong.  but the ones who don't get grief are the ones who think and at least acknowledge that there is cause that people could have been offended.

That is 100% wrong and the worst possible advice. The people who don't apologize and punch back like Tucker Carlson or Brett Kavanaugh keep their jobs. I don't like Trump's character but he never apologized and got elected. The people who show weakness  end up like Jimmy the Greek never working again.  Never show weakness to the outrage mob.  There is nothing you can do to appease them. There is no redemption with these people.  That was Haney's big mistake with his initial statement.

Edited by TigerIsNumeroUNO
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Patch said:

In this day and age,

I’m no spring chicken, but my personal thinking is whenever I have a thought that starts with a phrase like that, I stop, and remind myself that the world is changing, and always has. I think David Bowie put it best:

And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Edited by chspeed

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

That is 100% wrong and the worst possible advice. The people who don't apologize and punch back like Tucker Carlson or Brett Kavanaugh keep their jobs. I don't like Trump's character but he never apologized and got elected. The people who show weakness  end up like Jimmy the Greek never working again.  Never show weakness to the outrage mob.  There is nothing you can do to appease them. There is no redemption with these people.  That was Haney's big mistake with his initial statement.

Ummmmm, no.

People are very willing to accept an apology.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I’m late to the party here but as someone who is close to being a PGA member, Hank is definitely in the wrong. Grow yourself, grow the business, grow the game. He did none of those things, and if anything did the opposite. If you don’t pay attention to the ladies tour, fine. But there’s no reason to say anything that would hurt the spirit of their game, especially as someone who is supposed to be helping to grow it. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

5 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

Never show weakness to the outrage mob.  There is nothing you can do to appease them. There is no redemption with these people.  That was Haney's big mistake with his initial statement.

The "them" and "these people" -  are they like the "they" Fuzzy Zoeller referred to when he was talking about the people who who eat collard greens? You love  a generalisation, don't you?

9 hours ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

All off topic. Please keep politics out of this. 

Hank keeps digging the hole he is in. He's proving that he is what people think he is. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

Men's US Open ratings: "Ratings: Gary Woodland’s US Open Victory Tees Up Father’s Day Win for Fox"  "Fox was first in ratings with a 1.4 rating/7 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and in total viewers with an average of 7.3 million, according to preliminary numbers. That was the golf’s numbers." https://www.thewrap.com/members/2019/06/17/us-open-gary-woodland-fox-ratings/

US Women's Open ratings "Up against Tiger Woods, U.S. Women’s Open earns record-low TV ratings"   "he final round of the U.S. Women’s Open on Sunday earned a 0.5 rating and 728,000 viewers on Fox Sports

5cf4615eae321.image.jpg?resize=850%2C630

Those beauty shots of the Country Club of Charleston and the Lowcountry during the U.S. Women's Open golf tournament looked fantastic on Fox Sports last weekend, but the TV ratings

Imagine if Stephen A. Smith got in trouble for not knowing anything about women's basketball.  Or imagine if instead of Korean players, Irish women dominated the tour and Haney's comments were about Irish women.

The biggest women's golf tournament got a third of the ratings random summer baseball games get. 

Edited by TigerIsNumeroUNO

(edited)
58 minutes ago, TigerIsNumeroUNO said:

Men's US Open ratings: "Ratings: Gary Woodland’s US Open Victory Tees Up Father’s Day Win for Fox"  "Fox was first in ratings with a 1.4 rating/7 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and in total viewers with an average of 7.3 million, according to preliminary numbers. That was the golf’s numbers." https://www.thewrap.com/members/2019/06/17/us-open-gary-woodland-fox-ratings/

US Women's Open ratings "Up against Tiger Woods, U.S. Women’s Open earns record-low TV ratings"   "he final round of the U.S. Women’s Open on Sunday earned a 0.5 rating and 728,000 viewers on Fox Sports

5cf4615eae321.image.jpg?resize=850%2C630

Those beauty shots of the Country Club of Charleston and the Lowcountry during the U.S. Women's Open golf tournament looked fantastic on Fox Sports last weekend, but the TV ratings

Imagine if Stephen A. Smith got in trouble for not knowing anything about women's basketball.  Or imagine if instead of Korean players, Irish women dominated the tour and Haney's comments were about Irish women.

The biggest women's golf tournament got a third of the ratings random summer baseball games get. 

If He had displayed his ‘lack of knowledge’ for WNBA in the manner HH did for the LPGA he would’ve had similar heat thrown his way. It’s not offense to not care much for women’s sports. It doesn’t give the right to belittle it and show poor taste when you’ve made your career from the sport, you’ve profited from it and you’re someone who’s supposed to help grow it. Erik made a great statement regarding what HH could’ve said and how to have said it professionally and respectfully.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 5 months later...

Aaaand ... now the lawsuit

henaynew-e1576687971442.jpg?w=640

Hank Haney is taking on the PGA Tour. The former golf coach and current on-air personality filed a lawsuit against PGA Tour, Inc. Wednesday morning in U.S. District Court for the Southern District …

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Aaaand ... now the lawsuit

henaynew-e1576687971442.jpg?w=640

Hank Haney is taking on the PGA Tour. The former golf coach and current on-air personality filed a lawsuit against PGA Tour, Inc. Wednesday morning in U.S. District Court for the Southern District …

For lawsuits, I recommend my lawyer, THE HAMMER! POW!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Haney is a great example of the size of his ego being disproportionate to the size of his brain.  

Must be great to play poker against.   whatever cards he has, he doubles down....

—Adam

• iacas changed the title to Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

That is an ... interesting lawsuit. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

That is an ... interesting lawsuit. 

Why?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

In general, it seems like a big stretch to hold a third-party accountable for the actions of someone else. It's also going to be hard to prove.

Granted, I haven't read the lawsuit, so I could be wrong about this. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!