IGNORED

Hank Haney Made Some Controversial Comments, Sues PGA Tour

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

In general, it seems like a big stretch to hold a third-party accountable for the actions of someone else. It's also going to be hard to prove.

Granted, I haven't read the lawsuit, so I could be wrong about this. 

I asked you because as a lawyer I thought you might have some interesting angle.

Oh well. 😄 😄 😄 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seeing as how this is was PGA Tour Radio, It seems logical that the PGA Tour has some significant rights as far as approval and continuing employment of on-air personalities.  Much as the Masters has to approve announcers that CBS assigns at their tournament, as the NFL has approval over who Fox uses for NFL games.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I asked you because as a lawyer I thought you might have some interesting angle.

Oh well. 😄 😄 😄 

It's the holidays. I'm a federal government worker. I'm half assing things right now 🙂

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

17 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It's the holidays. I'm a federal government worker. I'm half assing things right now 🙂

We expect a full legal analysis after the new year! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Well if you're half-assing things at work, you have more than enough time to help us to understand all the legal aspects of this!  

• Like 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Well if you're half-assing things at work, you have more than enough time to help us to understand all the legal aspects of this!  

Right. It was on the PGA Tour station on Sirius, wasn't it? So it's not really a third-party…?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You all are a pretty demanding lot! 

I read through the complaint, and Haney is going to have a lot of trouble proving his allegations. Among them:

• The PGA Tour pressuring small bookshops (or maybe golf stores, hard to tell) not to sell Haney's book. 
  • The PGA Tour pressuring the Golf Channel to cancel Haney's show.
  • The PGA Tour pressuring Avis (is he really talking about the rental car company?) to cancel Haney's sponsorship.
  • The PGA Tour has a motive to ingratiate itself with the LPGA Tour so it can monopolize all professional golf. I don't even know where to start with that one.
  • He says that there was going to be no punishment from Sirius until the PGA Tour stepped in. There is nothing backing that up except an e-mail from a Program Director the day Haney made the comments. And it doesn't back up that story at all - it's just instructions on how other hosts should handle the controversy. 

It's possible that Haney will find evidence for all this stuff in discovery, but it's pretty half-baked right now. 

Beyond that, making a case for tortuous interference with contract or business relations is tough. He's probably going to have to show that Sirius breached the contract he had with Sirius. That contract gives Sirius the right to terminate the contract, without reason, with 30 days written notice. It's pretty unlikely that Sirius breached the contract given its right to terminate without cause. On a quick research of Florida law (the law I'm guessing will apply), a contract that is terminable at-will does not allow someone to sue for tortuous interference with contract. Haney's contract appears to be terminable at-will, so he has to overcome that hurdle.

He's also going to have to prove that the PGA Tour intentionally and unjustifiably interfered here. That's going to be tough. The PGA Tour will be able to argue that its actions were not unjustified, given that it could lose business by being associated with Haney. Finally, he's going to have to show that the PGA Tour caused Sirius to end the contract. Given the response and outrage from his comments, it's going to be difficult to prove that the PGA Tour was the cause here. In other words, but-for the PGA Tour's actions, would Sirius have ended Haney's contract? 

• Informative 1

-- Daniel

its an odd lawsuit. But i dont know enough about federal standing statues to say if a circut judge will throw it out or not. Usually the complainant has to demonstrate that he has sustained clear and undeibable injury and must trace it back to the defendant actions. Being that theres a third party here i dont know how Haney has any legal redress. Which is a component of standing in most areas of law. Its a weird one. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's possible that Haney will find evidence for all this stuff in discovery, but it's pretty half-baked right now.

Are they just hoping to find it all in discovery?

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Are they just hoping to find it all in discovery?

It seems like it. It reads like a lot of conjecture right now - there's very little substantive evidence backing it up. Normally, that's fine for this stage of a lawsuit, but given what Haney will have to show to prove his claims, it's pretty flimsy. He doesn't have any actual evidence showing that the PGA Tour told Sirius to fire him. He doesn't have any evidence showing that the PGA Tour even interacted with Sirius, period. 

16 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

You all are a pretty demanding lot! 

I read through the complaint, and Haney is going to have a lot of trouble proving his allegations. Among them:

• The PGA Tour pressuring small bookshops (or maybe golf stores, hard to tell) not to sell Haney's book. 
  • The PGA Tour pressuring the Golf Channel to cancel Haney's show.
  • The PGA Tour pressuring Avis (is he really talking about the rental car company?) to cancel Haney's sponsorship.
  • The PGA Tour has a motive to ingratiate itself with the LPGA Tour so it can monopolize all professional golf. I don't even know where to start with that one.
  • He says that there was going to be no punishment from Sirius until the PGA Tour stepped in. There is nothing backing that up except an e-mail from a Program Director the day Haney made the comments. And it doesn't back up that story at all - it's just instructions on how other hosts should handle the controversy. 

Beyond that, making a case for tortuous interference with contract or business relations is tough. He's probably going to have to show that Sirius breached the contract he had with Sirius. That contract gives Sirius the right to terminate the contract, without reason, with 30 days written notice. It's pretty unlikely that Sirius breached the contract given its right to terminate without cause. On a quick research of Florida law (the law I'm guessing will apply), a contract that is terminable at-will does not allow someone to sue for tortuous interference with contract. Haney's contract appears to be terminable at-will, so he has to overcome that hurdle.

He's also going to have to prove that the PGA Tour intentionally and unjustifiably interfered here. That's going to be tough. The PGA Tour will be able to argue that its actions were not unjustified, given that it could lose business by being associated with Haney. Finally, he's going to have to show that the PGA Tour caused Sirius to end the contract. Given the response and outrage from his comments, it's going to be difficult to prove that the PGA Tour was the cause here. In other words, but-for the PGA Tour's actions, would Sirius have ended Haney's contract? 

By the way, @iacas, @DaveP043, and @boogielicious, this will be $500. Cash or check is fine. 😛

-- Daniel

Just now, DeadMan said:

By the way, @iacas, @DaveP043, and @boogielicious, this will be $500. Cash or check is fine. 😛

Its in the mail.  I sure hope it doesn't get lost in the Christmas rush!  If it does, though, I'll be happy to buy you a beer next time you're near DC.

Dave

1 minute ago, DeadMan said:

It seems like it. It reads like a lot of conjecture right now - there's very little substantive evidence backing it up. Normally, that's fine for this stage of a lawsuit, but given what Haney will have to show to prove his claims, it's pretty flimsy. He doesn't have any actual evidence showing that the PGA Tour told Sirius to fire him. He doesn't have any evidence showing that the PGA Tour even interacted with Sirius, period. 

You bill out pretty cheap. My wife bills out for a bit more in the private sector!

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

@DaveP043 included my share in his check. He owes me for letting the Caps beat the Pens, finally, in the playoffs a few years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, DaveP043 said:

Seeing as how this is was PGA Tour Radio, It seems logical that the PGA Tour has some significant rights as far as approval and continuing employment of on-air personalities.  Much as the Masters has to approve announcers that CBS assigns at their tournament, as the NFL has approval over who Fox uses for NFL games.  

Not exactly the same thing, but the two radio announcers who broadcast the Cleveland Indians games are not employees of the radio station, or the radio network. They are employees of the Cleveland Indians. 

On 12/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, iacas said:

@DaveP043 included my share in his check. He owes me for letting the Caps beat the Pens, finally, in the playoffs a few years ago.

Damned Ovechkin!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, DeadMan said:

If you think that, you're really not making an effort to get into the LPGA at all. There are tons of great personalities on the LPGA. The Korda sisters are great. Danielle Kang. Michelle Wie, obviously. It's a little more corporate than the days of Julie Inkster, I suppose, but the personalities are definitely there. Some of the foreign players don't seem to have as much personality, but the language barrier is definitely an issue there.

They definitely don't hit the ball like the men do, but they're still hitting the ball a long way. According to their stats, the median LPGA player is hitting the ball ~260 off the tee. The top couple of players are over 280. That's not PGA Tour long, but it's longer than most average men.

I really enjoy the LPGA. It's a very different game than the bomb and gouge the men play, but it's entertaining. And you have many different styles win - you have bombers like Lexi and the Korda sisters, but you also have Lydia Ko winning with finesse. 

Say that you don't really care to watch the LPGA, I don't have a problem with that. But to say it's devoid of personalities and the women don't hit it far enough is really just showing that you aren't really paying attention to it.

I personally was disgusted with Haney's comments. Beyond the racism there, he's a golf media personality. His job is to know stuff like this! The venue for the women's US Open is a cool Raynor course. The LPGA has some great golf, and great, fun golfers. It's stunning ignorance from the guy who's job it is to know this stuff. If I were getting paid to talk for hours on the radio, I would at least put a little research into what I'm talking about.

The average LPGA drive is like 240 yards

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, mighty said:

The next-to-last ranked player for 2019's driving distance was over 240 yards.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2020 at 2:43 AM, mighty said:

Why would you post something that is not even close to being true?

You may as well say " The average PGATour pro has 36 putts per round".

You can have an opinion about the personalities of players, but to just make up a "statistic" that is generally between 10 and  20% out  is ridiculous.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Why would you post something that is not even close to being true?

You may as well say " The average PGATour pro has 36 putts per round".

You can have an opinion about the personalities of players, but to just make up a "statistic" that is generally between 10 and  20% out  is ridiculous.

Agree, especially when you can look up the factual number very quickly.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!