6 posts / 468 viewsLast Reply

Been teaching my son to play golf left handed so I have tried to learn to hit some shots this way . So I decided to learn to play left hande for a couple of months. Got a great deal on a set of Callaway x14 I'm pretty sure I can break 100 but want to see if I can break 90

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I carry 13 clubs.  One of them is left-handed.  The idea, way back when, was to become proficient enough from the left side that it made more sense to play a left-handed shot than it did to take a drop.  That was years ago and I have no qualms, now or then, about playing off-handed.  I think working on your swing, from both sides, is a great idea.  Why wouldn't you want to develop a talent to play shots from either side?  Ever play handball?  It takes a very short time to go from awkward to reasonably confident to good.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am borrowing a left-handed sand wedge from a friend and periodically hitting a few shots at home left handed.  It's interesting.  Every time I have attempted a left-handed swing at the course (with a right-handed club turned upside down) I have whiffed the first attempt, but having the head face the right way seems to help at least a bit.  

I'd like to learn to hit at least a quarter and half swing left handed.  I figure it's a good challenge but I'm not going to devote much time to it, especially since I have enough trouble with right-handed shots for now. 

recently came across the following sam snead quote:

If you hit as many shots left-handed as you did right-handed, you wouldn't have a back problem. It's all those swings going one way and not the other that throws your back out of balance.

i'm not sure if what he said is true but it makes intuitive sense to me. i also read somewhere that dustin johnson hasn't had back issues (other than the stairs mishap) and swings well from the other side.

does anyone here have thoughts/opinions or anecdotal evidence? 

7 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

recently came across the following sam snead quote:

i'm not sure if what he said is true but it makes intuitive sense to me. i also read somewhere that dustin johnson hasn't had back issues (other than the stairs mishap) and swings well from the other side.

does anyone here have thoughts/opinions or anecdotal evidence? 

It makes sense to me that the left side and right side don't get equal billing when you spend all your time on one side or the other.  That goes for the body and the brain.  Playing 50 to 75 yard shots...and walking it out to 100...helps me to loosen up.  When I do that from alternate sides...I feel better.  That is good enough for me.

Think about weight training.  It doesn't do to ignore reciprocal movements.

I know a couple of lefties who have only ever played golf right-handed - because they didn't have access to left-handed clubs when starting out.

It makes me wonder whether I, as a righty, could actually be _better_ using left-handed clubs. Could it be an advantage to make your lead side your dominant side?