Herkimer

Mosquito Repellent

14 posts / 539 viewsLast Reply

I got bitten up like crazy over the holiday.  I'm still scratching up and down my arms.   I use "Off" with Deet.  It didn't seem to help.  Does anyone use a mosquito repellent (store-bought or homemade) that does a great job keeping them away?    I'm open to any and all suggestions. 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Our mens night plays at a course near a lot of water. Bugs were bad monday night. They were swarming around me but no bites.

I use Muskol. I really use a lot. all exposed skin and my cap. Always wear long pants

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve always had good luck with Skin So Soft...

Don’t tell my dad though, he was a chemical engineer who worked on Raid and Off back in the day.  ;-)

I use Bullfrog.......  it is also a 30 SPF Sunscreen........  Just keep it in the bag......

See the source image

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

Not sure if this will help , but -

REVW2539.jpg

The best mosquito repellent protects without irritating. We consulted mosquito experts, researched active ingredients, and tried 20 on our own...

An article on the “4 best mosquito repellents”, but admit in the article that they didn’t use any mosquitoes in the testing!  :doh:

6 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I have nothing but hear say but heard that dryer sheets work well.   

I used them quite a bit in the Navy in the late 80's. Worked like a charm. I occasionally use them now but not as much since I now use Off more often. 

Edited by Ballgame59

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

An article on the “4 best mosquito repellents”, but admit in the article that they didn’t use any mosquitoes in the testing!  :doh:

Probably a law against mosquito abuse! We're fortunate not to have many of the bloodsucking beggars here.

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

I’ve always had good luck with Skin So Soft...

Don’t tell my dad though, he was a chemical engineer who worked on Raid and Off back in the day.  ;-)

In Racine, with SC Johnson? One of our competitors, but and excellent company. 

Deep Woods Off for me. Works better than any other IMO and is great for ticks too.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

In Racine, with SC Johnson? One of our competitors, but and excellent company. 

Deep Woods Off for me. Works better than any other IMO and is great for ticks too.

Yep!

I think I would be reticent to use both mosquito repellent and sun block.  And I can tell you that sun block applied at least every 9 holes is a must in Florida summers.  So I like IowaGreg's suggestion of Bullfrog.

Though I find it peculiar that mosquitos are a problem during the day.  I play some courses that are on the edge of the everglades and I don't think I have ever see one until the sun is pretty low in the sky.