Sign in to follow this  
barooo

T or F: "If I Swing Better, Eventually I'll Hit Better"?

8 posts / 843 viewsLast Reply

A thing I've noticed since getting back into playing, my swing *feels* very different.  Lots more lag, lots better positions and balance, a clear in-to-out path and way more of a "swing, not hit" feel.  My results... are not that different other than I'm consistently (say, 85% of the time) drawing/hooking vs slicing/fading the same percentage, and probably getting 15 yards extra when I flush it (160-165 yard 7 iron).  I still have a lot of slightly thin / slightly fat strikes, probably 70% thin 30% fat on mis-hits.  But I'm encouraged, and I can't help but think that better swings will eventually lead to better strikes and results.  In general does everyone think this is true, or is there very little correlation between how good a swing feels and how good the average result is?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh wow. I have had the same question.  My supposition has also been that this is true.

I bet the answer is more nuanced.  Are you practicing “smart”?

In my opinion, YES.  Better swings will, with time and practice, produce better results.  

On the other hand, swing "feel" can be misleading, you may not actually be doing what you feel like you're doing.    But the use of video can show you what you really ARE doing.  I'd never suggest that you "diagnose" your own video, post them on a My Swing thread and get some good advice here.

Positions are great guides and help generate the contact with a club face in the "pie" to put the ball on target. But you also have to deliver the low point of the swing consistently to the ball.

Definitely confirm that the swing is correct not just by feel but also realize that being a better ball striker is also about how tight the variations in contact are.

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my opinion, YES.  Better swings will, with time and practice, produce better results.  

On the other hand, swing "feel" can be misleading, you may not actually be doing what you feel like you're doing.    But the use of video can show you what you really ARE doing.  I'd never suggest that you "diagnose" your own video, post them on a My Swing thread and get some good advice here.

^^^ This ^^^

Feel ain’t always real...

But yes, a better swing should lead to better results.  The question for you is whether your swing is actually better, or just different.

Better swings will always promote better golf, and lower scores.

As for the "feel" part during the swing, idk if that is a big deal, or not. I don't feel much of anything when I make a good swing, and ball first contact. The ball flight tells me I made a good swing....or not. 

Now, if I thin, fat, or other wise hit a poor shot, I will feel that in my hands. 

On another note, some days I physically/mentally feel better. 

24 minutes ago, Patch said:

Better swings will always promote better golf, and lower scores.

As for the "feel" part during the swing, idk if that is a big deal, or not. I don't feel much of anything when I make a good swing, and ball first contact. The ball flight tells me I made a good swing....or not. 

Now, if I thin, fat, or other wise hit a poor shot, I will feel that in my hands. 

On another note, some days I physically/mentally feel better. 

The only feel I'm really talking about is "swing" vs "hit".  Everything feels smoother and more powerful.  Agreed on contact feel, good strikes basically feel like dry swings, bad ones feel like I hit something.  Objectively speaking my swing looks better.

I'll try and start a video thread soon.