IGNORED

How Do You Treat Your Aches and Pains?

Jb20901
Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I do alot what you do. Yoga, heat and ice, etc. I use motrin too like some others have mentioned. I other treatments i use are tiger balm, and KT tape on my neck. 

Does the Tiger balm work? I’ve hesitated to try it. I do use all the other ones you mentioned.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, boogielicious said:

Does the Tiger balm work? I’ve hesitated to try it. I do use all the other ones you mentioned.

It works great. 

But the cons are that the heat can be uncomfortable sometimes if you apply too much and it kinda stinks. Its also on the expensive side. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on the ache and pain. If it's a muscle spasm type of thing, then I go with alternating ice/heat and anti-inflammatory. If it's something like muscle fatigue, then I just rest up and do some light stretching.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ibuprofen for normal aches. Muscle relaxer if it is bad.  I have found that when I use my lightweight irons (65 gram graphite shafts) my back pain is far less than when using my set with standard weight steel shafts. 

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882

Rest.  Period.  Taking drugs is okay so long as you don't take them all the time.  I will say, however, that the best time to take an anti-inflammatory is before activity and not after.  Instead of taking a couple after...try taking one before.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I try to remember daily stretching just for overall health, but it makes a big difference for helping me feel better and stopping any muscle issues on the course, as well. When we aren't trying to sneak a round in really quick, I like to go through a dynamic warm up before some light swings, then start with some full speed swings.

If all else fails, ibuprofen means I be playin.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

I ice my lower back first thing in the morning every day.

I also eat ibuprofen like potato chips!   :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

I think you can't go wrong with resting and foam rolling

I use a peanut for that as well. You can go right down the spine and loosen up all your back muscles. I use it on my SI joint too.

2895_Dual_Point_Massager_01_1080.jpg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

When hitting balls on the range, just take your time! I can take an hour and a half to hit a small bucket of 50-55 balls! I'm not in a hurry. If I AM in a hurry, I don't go to the range! It's one or the other! There is NO compromise. I'll either spend the time or I won't! 

On game day I will take advantage of pain killers. Particularly Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), which turned out to work much better for me than Ibuprofen (Advil). 

Golfers should take care when using these, as they can make your skin more sensitive to the UV in sunlight. So, make sure you have some good sunblock in your bag.

Thanks, very good advice.  I usually rip through a small bucket of balls in 15 minutes.

My knees are shot, and this caused me to discover something else. I like to have a beer after the round, but I refuse to sit in an air conditioned lounge to enjoy it. I'll find a shady spot out in the warm, and let my body cool down gradually. Sitting in air conditioning makes my knees scream blue bloody murder! 

I had to do it 🤣

Sorry not sorry 😜

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Despite some severe ACL damage about two decades ago after a car wreck and a very painful rotator cuff injury (after conducting an orchestra daily for 6 weeks), I have since I have returned to golf from reappearing is a lot of pre-activity warm-ups combined with following good actions in my swings.

After the activity, some ice may be used, though rarely. If I hurt, I usually take simple aspirin, as it works best for me.  If I need a bit more, I will take Aleve. Maybe a hot shower before I go to bed.  (Oh, yea, a good brandy has passed my lips every now and then to help with relaxation).

If I need Tiger Balm® before a match to relax muscles, I will cancel for the day

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 6/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

It works great. 

But the cons are that the heat can be uncomfortable sometimes if you apply too much and it kinda stinks. Its also on the expensive side. 

I love Tiger Balm®.  It works very well; but I agree that most people apply way too much. A little goes a long way.  I use it for severe pulls only, but that is me. Use sparingly and the stink is less that good old Ben-gay and a little less greasy feeling.  Yes, expensive, but if properly used, a little goes a long way!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

At this point, I am basically on a 2 advil every day when I wake up, and 2 advil before I go to bed Regimen.   2 more after I play on days that i play.   Seems to be doing the trick.  

I seem to be spending a lot of money on Advil, though..   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Hate taking pills...but if I must its plain ol' aspirin.   For the most part I've been very active exercise-wise.  Over the years I've incorporated yoga into my workout routine and got great results in terms of flexibility and my golf swing. 

This doesn't mean I'm not sore after a round, but its helped my bounce-back ability a lot

9 hours ago, lastings said:

At this point, I am basically on a 2 advil every day when I wake up, and 2 advil before I go to bed Regimen.   2 more after I play on days that i play.   Seems to be doing the trick.  

I seem to be spending a lot of money on Advil, though..   

Maybe find a place that sells a generic equivalent. It's just ibuprofen, and no longer patent protected. 

Light dynamic stretching after a round. Often some foam rolling aswell. Massages when necessary. Hot showers to loosen up the back.

Cold packs for more persistent aches. I do this for a couple hours total. On/off for like 20-30 minutes at a time. Neoprene sleeves and wound wraps(the elastic reusable kind) are great for keeping the packs in place while watching tv etc.

Painkillers are a last resort. If it gets that far Ill usually take 3*800mg ibuprofen and do appropriate rehab work. A max of couple weeks is usually enough for minor injuries. Having to rely on painkillers long term is a no no. Been there, done that and in the end it tends to come back and bite you...

Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!