Sign in to follow this  
barnum1

Ping G400 7-wood: SFT vs standard

11 posts / 3222 viewsLast Reply

Hi!

Anyone has experience with the Ping G400 7-wood and tried both SFT and standard?
I see that the SFT has 22 degrees loft and the standard 20.5, what is the reason for that?

I have both the G400 driver and 3-wood in the SFT version, and I love them both.
I see that the 7-wood is available as standard where I live, but the SFT isn't (I guess they are pushing the G410 now).

Anyway, any thoughts?

I think they add loft to the SFT versions because it helps keep the ball flights straighter. I'm not sure if thats true or not just passing on what I have heard. 

The G400 7 Wood SFT is my go to club!

Thanks for your reply @SiamSerpent!

May I ask what distance you hit compared to for example your 4-iron
Yes, I am planning to replace my 4-iron 😊

Or, compare to the G400 3-wood (if you have that).

(I hit my 4-iron 175 yards and the 3-wood 210 yards.)

@barnum1 I have a G400 4 hybrid which goes around 170-190. 7 wood SFT 180-200 yards depending on how hard I swing. My 3 wood SFT goes 190-210 carry again depending on how much swing I put on it. I did manage 240 yards with roll this weekend but that is very rare.

Id say its a perfect 4 iron replacement. I pretty much hate my g400 4 hybrid. it seems like a lot of effort to get the ball in the air vs the 7 wood which pops it up in the air with minimal effort and stops on greens very well. 

I would buy the 7 wood SFT if I was you based on my experience.

What irons are you playing?

If we are juts talking about carry then yes I can swing the 7 Wood hard enough to close the gap down to 10 or so yards.

The massive difference is in the roll out. The 7 Wood goes high and juts stops. The 3 wood rolls out alot more. 

I can confidently use the 7 wood on longer par 3s and it stops very quickly on the greens.The 3 wood tends to bounce straight off the greens if you hit them.

Hope that helps

I've got the 7-wood now! First impression is that it is so much easier to hit than a long iron. I'm still working on getting the shots where I want, but the distance is very close to my 4-iron, so that is exactly what I need, The only thing I'm afraid of is the effect of wind, as it goes much higher than the 4-iron.

All in all, this look very promising :-)

Good luck with your 7-wood. I have the G30 7-wood and really love it and the versatility it offers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/16/2019 at 3:31 AM, barnum1 said:

I've got the 7-wood now! First impression is that it is so much easier to hit than a long iron. I'm still working on getting the shots where I want, but the distance is very close to my 4-iron, so that is exactly what I need, The only thing I'm afraid of is the effect of wind, as it goes much higher than the 4-iron.

All in all, this look very promising :-)

Glad to hear it! 

How is it going now?