AOB3398

Can't Shake my Overswing. Help!

8 posts / 776 viewsLast Reply

Looking for help and suggestions in how to overcome a nasty tendency to overswing.  I started golfing 6 years ago and improved from a 28 handicap when I started to a 10 two years ago.  I was consistently getting better but irons were always the weakest part of my game.  While I had a short, compact stroke, I never really took divots and my iron shots were too inconsistent for my liking.  I started taking lessons and tinkering with my swing and somehow I developed a really bad overswing.  I've been battling for 2 years to shorten my swing but I have a hard time stopping before the club goes past parallel because I feel like I have no power behind my shot otherwise.  My swing is now too long, out of control, and I feel like I'm all arms.  My most common misses are duck hooks, fat shots, or the dread cold shank.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions on how to possibly overcome this.  It's been killing me for 2 years!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

2 hours ago, AOB3398 said:

Looking for help and suggestions in how to overcome a nasty tendency to overswing.  I started golfing 6 years ago and improved from a 28 handicap when I started to a 10 two years ago.  I was consistently getting better but irons were always the weakest part of my game.  While I had a short, compact stroke, I never really took divots and my iron shots were too inconsistent for my liking.  I started taking lessons and tinkering with my swing and somehow I developed a really bad overswing.  I've been battling for 2 years to shorten my swing but I have a hard time stopping before the club goes past parallel because I feel like I have no power behind my shot otherwise.  My swing is now too long, out of control, and I feel like I'm all arms.  My most common misses are duck hooks, fat shots, or the dread cold shank.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions on how to possibly overcome this.  It's been killing me for 2 years!

Post a swing in our Member Swings section. Folks will help. I know a few members who have had the same issue.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Start filming your swing. Do very slow swings at first. You’re probably going to have to really exaggerate the brevity of your swing to see a difference. 

You can make this change. It will feel awful, alien and downright silly. Start with a backswing no higher than a 20yd chip. Film it. You must. Because as short as you think you’re swinging, you’re not. You’ve ingrained your ‘muscle memory’ to feel that over swing is necessary for power. You can ingrain that a shorter swing is too and probably will be better. It takes time.

I think the main culprit, in over-swinging, is believing that it is necessary to really clobber the ball.  It is never a good idea to add something extra...just in case.  Try playing some shots with what you think is a 3/4 swing and compare the distances you get to those obtained with an "over-swing".  Chances are pretty good that you aren't getting anything "extra" from reaching beyond your shoulder turn.  Keeping your arms and hands in sync with the rest of you requires that you don't allow them to wander off at the top of your swing.  

P.S.  I didn't truly appreciate what I was doing, right and wrong, until I took some lessons that included video.  What we imagine we are doing is often inaccurate.  Having a clearer mental image is quite helpful.  Bon Chance.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Start filming your swing. Do very slow swings at first. You’re probably going to have to really exaggerate the brevity of your swing to see a difference. 

You can make this change. It will feel awful, alien and downright silly. Start with a backswing no higher than a 20yd chip. Film it. You must. Because as short as you think you’re swinging, you’re not. You’ve ingrained your ‘muscle memory’ to feel that over swing is necessary for power. You can ingrain that a shorter swing is too and probably will be better. It takes time.

I agree. An instructor recently told me that, if you're making a change and it doesn't "feel" awkward alien and downright silly, then you're probably not doing it correctly.

10 hours ago, AOB3398 said:

Stop trying to shorten your swing!!! Lol! I been going through same thing...started just trying to SWING SMOOTH instead. Less mechanical which means less thinking, and its easy to tell if your doing it right cus everyone knows smooth. As mentioned before, just cus u think your swing is shorter, doesnt mean it is. 

Done this last 3 weeks and it helped me transform my scores. From can’t break 100 to 92, 88, 90. Good luck!!

4 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

started just trying to SWING SMOOTH instead. Less mechanical which means less thinking, and its easy to tell if your doing it right cus everyone knows smooth.

It would be interesting to see video of your ‘not smooth’ vs ‘smooth.’ It’s true we know what ‘smooth’ means but what it feels like is completely different from person to person for a golf swing. 

On 6/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Piz said:

I think the main culprit, in over-swinging, is believing that it is necessary to really clobber the ball.  It is never a good idea to add something extra...just in case.  Try playing some shots with what you think is a 3/4 swing and compare the distances you get to those obtained with an "over-swing".  Chances are pretty good that you aren't getting anything "extra" from reaching beyond your shoulder turn.  Keeping your arms and hands in sync with the rest of you requires that you don't allow them to wander off at the top of your swing.  

P.S.  I didn't truly appreciate what I was doing, right and wrong, until I took some lessons that included video.  What we imagine we are doing is often inaccurate.  Having a clearer mental image is quite helpful.  Bon Chance.

Couldn't agree more with everything here. I really struggle with overswinging at times, but I've found that what I think is a 3/4 swing is really a full swing, so I don't lose any distance with it, while also being far more consistent.

And video was my best friend. I assumed I was just making a full swing, but video helped me see how out of control my backswing was when I was trying to smoke the ball. I highly recommend getting some video to see whether you are overdoing it. People on this site are also quite helpful with pointing out ways to combat this if you post in member swings.