BC-to-MI

My Swing (BC-to-MI)

26 posts / 2323 viewsLast Reply

10 minutes ago, BC-to-MI said:

Yeah, my clean strikes are probably 50/50 regular trajectory vs looking like knockdown shots, which is clearly a pain when trying to hit elevated greens or stay below the hole. That all makes sense. Thanks.

So keep doing the backswing piece, but on the downswing you're going to feel like your head stays back as your hips go forward.

You can practice this feel at home if you stand at address with your head close to a wall or a doorway on your left side. Just make mock swings without your head crashing into the wall or tipping away from it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

So keep doing the backswing piece, but on the downswing you're going to feel like your head stays back as your hips go forward.

You can practice this feel at home if you stand at address with your head close to a wall or a doorway on your left side. Just make mock swings without your head crashing into the wall or tipping away from it.

I'll try this out starting tonight. Thanks.

IMO i think you need to leave the swing mechanics alone for a bit. Grip, posture alignment etc, all stuff that is always good to work on, but you need to work on tempo and shortening your swing. 

You have a big overswing. And it seems like from your vids that the overswing is throwing all kinds of stuff out of wack. I bet if you just shortened your backswing your consistency would improve. Its difficult to make a consistent move through the ball if your swinging your arms that far back, and it appears you dont have the hand-eye coordination or internal timing to work with that length swing. Its like you're out of control. Bubba Watson can swing like that, but not many people are blessed with his athletic instincts. 

Without focusing on mechanics at all, id work on getting a feeling of making a three quarter backswing and see if you can get a more consistent hit on the ball from there. Once you feel comfortable with a shorter stroke, then you can work on the mechanical stuff a little more. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 6/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

IMO i think you need to leave the swing mechanics alone for a bit. Grip, posture alignment etc, all stuff that is always good to work on, but you need to work on tempo and shortening your swing. 

You have a big overswing. And it seems like from your vids that the overswing is throwing all kinds of stuff out of wack. I bet if you just shortened your backswing your consistency would improve. Its difficult to make a consistent move through the ball if your swinging your arms that far back, and it appears you dont have the hand-eye coordination or internal timing to work with that length swing. Its like you're out of control. Bubba Watson can swing like that, but not many people are blessed with his athletic instincts. 

Without focusing on mechanics at all, id work on getting a feeling of making a three quarter backswing and see if you can get a more consistent hit on the ball from there. Once you feel comfortable with a shorter stroke, then you can work on the mechanical stuff a little more. 

Yeah, as I believe I have mentioned previously, the overswing is definitely something that I know I have struggled with pretty consistently since I started golfing. I've been trying to do more mirror work recently since the feel ain't real is very evident here. Even in my last video, I was trying to cut back on the backswing, but clearly didn't get very far with that.

Aside from that, I'm still really focused on the centered pivot and working in the piece @billchao mentioned about not sliding my upper body too far forward before impact. The last two rounds out have been solid, shooting a 91 and an 84, which are both in my three best scores ever, so that has been encouraging. Even beyond just the scores, I've noticed more consistency with my ball flight and fewer thinned shots.

The centered pivot is getting a lot closer to second nature at this point. There are times, especially at the end of a walking round when I'm getting a little tired physically and mentally, where it gets inconsistent, but I don't need to focus on it as much any more. Still need a lot more consistency with controlling the backswing and not letting my torso drift too far forward on the downswing, but most of my misses are now a couple grooves low and thinned, but straight, rather than unplayable slices.

Driver has been an absolute train wreck the last couple rounds, basically unplayable, as it's been a wicked slice that I'm just praying I can control and have it roll at a 45 degree angle to about 250 or so. Today, I just really focused on making a proper centered pivot and having the feeling of just bringing my arms along for the ride. I still ended up with a long backswing, but my last 15 swings were 10 of the best drives I have ever hit, three solid ones, and a couple offline, but usable ones. Instead of low line drives, even on good contact, I was hitting high 5-yard fades and carrying about 270-280 into the wind. Definitely one of the best golf feelings I've ever had. Hoping to be able to replicate this tomorrow.

Got out on the course yesterday. Driver wasn't quite as good as it was on the range the day before, but I was getting solid distance and everything was either fairway or within a few yards of it without needing to wildly overcompensate with my starting line.

Approach shots were either on the green or just off. Obviously, it is a lot easier to manage wedges and short irons into greens from the fairway than mid-to-long irons from the rough. Funny how that works.

Chipping and putting were a disaster, which led to a higher score than my ball striking should've led to, but overall, I'm much more focused on the long game right now, so I was pretty happy with the process vs the results.

The last few weeks have been a lot of playing and not much time at the range, so I can definitely feel myself slipping back into some old habits at times and losing some consistency. I had a three-round stretch of horrible ball striking, not full out shanks, but hitting irons at a 45-degree angle, but realized I was getting rotation in my upper body, but not with my lower half, so I was able to get that back on track a little bit.

I've started to dial in my 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4, full wedge distances, so that part of my game has really started to improve. Between that and a tweaked putting grip helping me to get my putts on the correct line extremely consistently, my scores have been dropping whenever I can find the fairway.

Unfortunately, finding the fairway has been quite the issue recently. I've been fighting an extreme "fade" that isn't quite the nasty slice I used to have, but often puts me OB or in a spot where I need to punch out from, nonetheless. Regardless of where I aim, I start the ball in the middle of the fairway, it goes straight for about 60% of its flight, then takes a right turn toward the white stakes and lands about 40-50 yards short and 40-50 yards right of my straight drives. (This can be seen in the DTL video).

Just after these videos were taken, I started working on a drill that I have done previously with some success to get the club into a better position at A5 and A6, rather than having it swing out and around, causing the left-to-right ball flight. It definitely helped to straighten out the flight, so I'm going to incorporate that into my next range session.

Been really focused on driver recently and it feels like I am starting to make some progress. I've tried to really get the hip rotation down and stop my arms from wrapping too far back behind my body to the point where I can see the driver head in my peripheral vision. I didn't get any video, so I have no idea whether I am actually doing this, but the feel is definitely different, and it seems like it allows me to do a better job of cleaning up my swing path and closing the club face in relation to the path.

There are still 2-3 disaster drives each round, but even those are generally playable. Most recently, I was able to hit all great drives except one (which I was able to scramble a par out of) and shoot a lifetime-best score of 36. Had a few shots I'd like back that would have allowed me to break par for the first time, but I can't be too disappointed.