Jump to content
IGNORED

Wrist to Floor and Club Length Questions


Recommended Posts

Hi all, new forum member, hope I'm posting this in the right place, been really getting into golf this past half a year and been hovering around low 90's to very rare 88-89, and been wanting to get a fitting (last time I did I hardly knew anything about my golf swing, 3-4 years ago) Additional info if it helps (this is a titlist fitting) 

My first major question is I saw this site: http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm and I can't seem to wrap my head around it, so my current clubs are I think +.5 inches and they feel great, and sometimes when I try my friends standard length club they just feel sooo short, I'm 6'4 and my wrist to floor measures to be 32.5 inches, based on the chart I should be hitting SHORTER than standard length?! Can anyone give some feedback on this? Or how does this chart work here: https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx, how does this chart work? is it either or? https://imgur.com/xVQj97j

Also regarding lie angle, what I'm worried about is a lie angle fit to my needs, but isn't fit to my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild? I'm always looking to improve my swing, and I'd like to imagine my swing is decent (based on my short-termed over-inflated optimism hitting my last 9 holes 8/9 on regulation). So what would happen if my fitting shows a lie angle that may not be the lie angle that is appropriate for my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild?

Final question, I've been wanting to get an extra wedge in (currently have P, gap, SW) so a 60 degree, for those occasional shots that need to land super softly, I tried all sorts of bounce angles and clubs 52/56/60, and the high bounce clubs felt the best (12-14), from what I read, if you already dig into your shots a bit more (steep attack angle, my bad shots I sometimes chunk it a tiny bit more than I want to), high bounce works best. Here's where my confusion is: the high bounce clubs felt the best on the range mats, in what case do I know I WANT a low bounce wedge? (or which 52/56/60 should be 10 or below bounce?) For example: I've been working on my straight arm pitches with my gap wedge which i use often 30-60 yards, which would sweep the ball off the grass with a shallow attack angle, does that mean I want a low bounce instead on my gap wedge? but keep high bounce on SW and LW for sand and how they "felt" on the range mats? 

Thanks a lot for anyone that can help me with this matter, hope I worded things properly. Golf clubs do cost a bit and I hope I'm tossing money into correct decisions made!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Joseph Miau said:

Hi all, new forum member, hope I'm posting this in the right place, been really getting into golf this past half a year and been hovering around low 90's to very rare 88-89, and been wanting to get a fitting (last time I did I hardly knew anything about my golf swing, 3-4 years ago) Additional info if it helps (this is a titlist fitting) 

My first major question is I saw this site: http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm and I can't seem to wrap my head around it, so my current clubs are I think +.5 inches and they feel great, and sometimes when I try my friends standard length club they just feel sooo short, I'm 6'4 and my wrist to floor measures to be 32.5 inches, based on the chart I should be hitting SHORTER than standard length?! Can anyone give some feedback on this? Or how does this chart work here: https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/custom/clubfitting.aspx, how does this chart work? is it either or? https://imgur.com/xVQj97j

Also regarding lie angle, what I'm worried about is a lie angle fit to my needs, but isn't fit to my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild? I'm always looking to improve my swing, and I'd like to imagine my swing is decent (based on my short-termed over-inflated optimism hitting my last 9 holes 8/9 on regulation). So what would happen if my fitting shows a lie angle that may not be the lie angle that is appropriate for my ideal swing/posture/bodybuild?

Final question, I've been wanting to get an extra wedge in (currently have P, gap, SW) so a 60 degree, for those occasional shots that need to land super softly, I tried all sorts of bounce angles and clubs 52/56/60, and the high bounce clubs felt the best (12-14), from what I read, if you already dig into your shots a bit more (steep attack angle, my bad shots I sometimes chunk it a tiny bit more than I want to), high bounce works best. Here's where my confusion is: the high bounce clubs felt the best on the range mats, in what case do I know I WANT a low bounce wedge? (or which 52/56/60 should be 10 or below bounce?) For example: I've been working on my straight arm pitches with my gap wedge which i use often 30-60 yards, which would sweep the ball off the grass with a shallow attack angle, does that mean I want a low bounce instead on my gap wedge? but keep high bounce on SW and LW for sand and how they "felt" on the range mats? 

Thanks a lot for anyone that can help me with this matter, hope I worded things properly. Golf clubs do cost a bit and I hope I'm tossing money into correct decisions made!

 

Hello and welcome to TST. Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. Your height being 6’4 doesn’t take into account how you address the ball. Only a real fitting can determine what will work best for you. Don’t let what a chart says you should be hitting persuade you. 

You can also post a video of your swing in the ‘Members Swings’ forum and get some excellent advice. Cheers.

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Hello and welcome to TST. Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. Your height being 6’4 doesn’t take into account how you address the ball. Only a real fitting can determine what will work best for you. Don’t let what a chart says you should be hitting persuade you. 

You can also post a video of your swing in the ‘Members Swings’ forum and get some excellent advice. Cheers.

My question would be how tall is your friend and what is his wrist to floor measurement? How do they compare. Just taking a friend's club in hand and pronouncing it too short is not very precise! He doesn't match you physiologically, nor does he match you in posture. That, of course, is a guess by me but I'd bet I'm right! 

Static charts are a start, but the golf swing is dynamic. I wouldn't depend too much on the charts except as a starting point. Get your length and loft numbers sorted out first, and then go for a "dynamic" lie fitting. This will test your swing for every iron in your bag. And the adjustments don't have to be much. I read an article where John Daly was being fitted for a new set of clubs. He was into hitting his short iron and wedges and sent a bunch of them back to the fitter. He told the runner, "Have the guy bend these 1/4* flat." The runner brought them out and Daly was just flushing them. He said, "Most amateurs don't know how much 1/4 of a degree in lie can help them!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently had an iron fitting and did some manufacturer demo days. One fellow said I needed a standard length shaft, one said I needed a 1/4 inch longer shaft and one said I needed a 1/2 inch longer shaft so, when I found the clubs I liked, I split the difference and chose the 1/4 inch longer shafts. Same thing with the lie. One said I needed a standard lie angle, one said I needed a 1 inch up angle and one said I needed a 2 inch up angle so I again chose the middle option. The new clubs work great and are much better than the nut on the handle! :-D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone so far for the input and feedback everyone here is so friendly :D! I also need a some help on the bounce though, I feel stuck on choosing between low/mid/high. (As mentioned in the first post i had the best feedback from 12-14 high bounce clubs). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joseph Miau said:

Thanks everyone so far for the input and feedback everyone here is so friendly :D! I also need a some help on the bounce though, I feel stuck on choosing between low/mid/high. (As mentioned in the first post i had the best feedback from 12-14 high bounce clubs). 

Wedges certainly are about feel. However with your wanting a 60* for lob shots I wouldn’t go by how you strike the ball on mats. Without really having some good time testing different bounce levels on actual playing conditions I’m thinking going with the higher bounces would suit you better. You could produce that high soft lob easier than trying to open up a lower bounce wedge.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as length goes, if you're 6'4 and like the way 1/2 over feels, don't change it. Comfort is by far most important when it comes to length. As long as your short irons feel comfortable and your long irons don't feel unwieldy, that's what you want. 

For lie angle, go ahead and check it with the standard 1/2 over clubs and see how it looks. If it's just off by a degree or so, I would just play with it for a least a little if your swing is in fact in a state of flux.

Finally bounce. Most golfers will be better off with more bounce. I don't want to assume but taller golfers also usually have steeper AoAs so again more bounce. Bounce amounts kind of move in a bell curve on wedges with the 56 degree offering the highest bounce options. 52 degree often will only offer 1 or 2 options around 10 degrees. 60 will offer a low, mid, and high. From where it sounds like you are in your game, go with higher bounce. It's your friend!

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Joseph Miau said:

Hi all, new forum member,

Final question, I've been wanting to get an extra wedge in (currently have P, gap, SW) so a 60 degree, for those occasional shots that need to land super softly, I tried all sorts of bounce angles and clubs 52/56/60, and the high bounce clubs felt the best (12-14), from what I read, if you already dig into your shots a bit more (steep attack angle, my bad shots I sometimes chunk it a tiny bit more than I want to), high bounce works best. Here's where my confusion is: the high bounce clubs felt the best on the range mats, in what case do I know I WANT a low bounce wedge? (or which 52/56/60 should be 10 or below bounce?) For example: I've been working on my straight arm pitches with my gap wedge which i use often 30-60 yards, which would sweep the ball off the grass with a shallow attack angle, does that mean I want a low bounce instead on my gap wedge? but keep high bounce on SW and LW for sand and how they "felt" on the range mats? 

I have chosen to play my wedges the following way.  My SW is 55* and has a high bounce.  I bought a 60* low bounce LW and use them for my specialty shots around the green depending on lie.  I can play either with the ball off my front foot and with the club opened up for increased loft.  On hard pan surfaces, I prefer the low bounce LW which I can use to essentially 'pick' the ball with a very small to non-existent divot.  When the ball is on a more fluffy lie, I use the high bounce SW.  Works for me.  Ideally experiment with the clubs a bit and see what works for you

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Wrist to Floor and Club Length Questions
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, Vinsk said:

... Honestly I wouldn’t put much thought into what a static fitting chart says. Since you’re taking the game more seriously I would get a current fitting as you are swinging now. ...

Word from GolfWorks Academy: Wrist-to-floor is just a rough starting point for fitting a golfer for clubs. You do not want to cut shaft length or buy golf clubs based on w-t-f measurement.

Your posture at address and data from your swing motion are much better indicators of what shaft length and lie angle you need. You get this from an actual fitting with launch monitor data. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • n=1 with the SM bag. I carried today, and took 12 clubs. The SM bag is much lighter than the Ping Hoofer. It was so light that I feel like I could add my 4-iron and LW in the bag and still not be bothered by the load. However, the fabric/materials also appear thinner/lighter weight. Not that this means it is less durable, but maybe it could be. The Hoofer fabric feels like it could survive a cataclysmic event. The SM bag straps are a little wider and less thick than the Hoofer, but equally comfortable. The pad that rests on your back on the SM is thinner and not quite as comfortable as the Hoofer, which is padded by the rain hood in the pocket behind the pad. But the lightness of the SM bag meant it was not any less comfortable. The SM bag hung a bit more horizontal than the Hoofer, which gave me the uneasy feeling that a club might fall out (none did), so I need to adjust the straps to get this right. Not really a problem. The pocket design and configuration on the Hoofer is better, at least to my preference. I missed the easily accessible magnetic pocket on the Hoofer (where I kept my range finder out of its case). I used a carabiner to clip the rangefinder case onto the bag. It makes getting the rangefinder out and putting away take a little more time, but just something to get used to. The leg unfolding/folding mechanism works great. Overall, pretty pleased with the SM, although like I said, only n=1.
    • I just explained what happened and asked for any tips on removing/installing so I don't deform another grip. Never had this happen to such a large extent (sometimes there is a tiny bit of stretching on the lower part of the grip, but never the top part) on any other Pure grip, so I'm hesitant to try another adjustment without changing my technique. So I'm hoping they'll say what happened was unusual, or I used too much pressure, or to hold the grip in a certain way to prevent that, or something like that.
    • Im stuck between 2 clubs and cant find a comparison. 
    • I have a membership to TheGrint.    They have a place for rounds attested.   Since the guys I golf with aren't members and I will not ask them to verify a round via an email, I have 0% attested.   If I play a solo round I count it as a practice round.    My handicap although official shouldn't be any different than a solo round.   I can't prove it wasn't solo other than my integrity.    If my integrity is good enough for 0% attested rounds, it should be good enough for a solo round.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Andy B
      Andy B
      (58 years old)
    2. Dsavin
      Dsavin
      (35 years old)
    3. Jonh
      Jonh
      (27 years old)
    4. marksgd
      marksgd
      (57 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...