Sign in to follow this  
BillyD

Hands close to body at address

5 posts / 750 viewsLast Reply

My first post after years of lurking. No, I don't have a video (which would help).

I've played for years as a 15-16 hdcp. Amateur "experts" on the course will tell me I set up with my hands too close to my body on iron shots.

Because I have a large chest and small waist, setting up with my arms on top of my chest seems to extend my hands too far out and I have problems making a full turn or even a decent takeaway. So I start with my hands close to my thighs like Jim Furyk so I can fully turn, but when I come down I am not blocked. In other words, my downswing is conventional.

Does anyone else have this "problem"? I get all kinds of criticism from low cappers when I'm having a bad day, which tends to happen no matter what. They the hands are my problem.

Anyone else with this issue and how do you manage?

If you look at My Swing thread you'll see I had a similar set-up a few years back:

The first thing I changed was that set-up, on the advice of @iacas.  I straightened my knees some, bent a little more from the waist, which allowed me to set up a little further away from the ball, and let my hands separate from my body a bit.  I obviously don't have the "large chest/small waist" situation that you describe.  That change made my NEXT change possible, but I did my best to work on just one thing at a time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades