Sign in to follow this  
BrendanR

Practice mat that indicates divot location?

8 posts / 1233 viewsLast Reply

I'm looking for a mat that indicates divot location, specifically location of first ground strike.

All I've found is a patent application, nothing seems to be on the market (this patent would be perfect): 

A golf practice mat that allows a golfer to practice hitting golf shots from a synthetic turf surface that emulates natural grass while still being able to...

True Strike etc are nice and soft and allow divots to be hit, but don't show exactly where the divot is located.

I want to work on my skills and develop skills for hitting the ground consistently in a place of my choosing. I need an indicator to do this, as there's not enough grass in my backyard (and the wife would disapprove), and the council will chase me off city parklands.
Regards and thanks – Brendan

Just a thought, but could you put down some powder, or something similar that would show where the club is striking the mat?

Maybe even sand?3 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Athletes foot spray works great too. Spray it down, let it dry and you’ll be able to see where you’re hitting. Should work on any kind of mat! Also works great on the clubface to see where you’re hitting the ball there too.

13 hours ago, Big Duffer said:

@iacas

could you explain how to use the string, I've heard of this but it somehow escapes me

I've been using a piece of painters tape instead of a string or anything that is loose. The string or piece of grass can be moved by breeze created by the swing. The tape only moves if you hit it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Have her visit Merchant's Square near Willam and Mary. 
    • I do not know why that clip has been edited so, but my favorite part was when he wanders into the wrong door first - abuse.   One of their best, and entirely apropos. Please film that for me.   I'm quite curious about what is the down side is of simply allowing the guys to dominate the courses so that scores dip lower and lower.
    • Here in the Detroit area we are fortunate to have a good number of Ross courses, including a couple City Of Detroit Muni tracks.All the rest I am aware of are private clubs, but I have been fortunate enough to play most of them back in the 80's and 90's. Unfortunately one, Chandler Park was irreparably harmed when they built I-94 back in the 50's. But one Detroit Muni that isn't even in the City itself is still intact, Rogell Golf Course, next to the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak is a fairly unmolested Ross course. Given the entire areas lack of natural elevation changes, without excessive use of bulldozers, Ross displays his mastery of deception with false fronts etc. Country Club of Detroit (private and actually in Grosse Pointe) is a real gem,and a prime example of Ross' genius on flat landscape..
    • I have just reentered the game  in Sept. after a 22 yr hiatus. I have found the clubs I am going to stick with for a while whilst I figure out how well I will end up striking the ball. Today I played two balls off every tee, then hit two from the one I picked, etc. Still shot an 84 on a little 6300 yard track because I have only played 1 previous round with these irons, and (Mainly) my touch and feel around the greens, and especially putting need a lot of work. Mid round I changed the setting on my Taylormade SLDR driver to dead neutral (no, I didn't take a penalty for that). My worst issue with reentering the game as an old wound ball player seems to be finding a ball I like. Well, today under a leaf  I found a Bridgestone B XS with with a lot of what I have been missing with the balls they seem to make today. It was fairly easy to work, but more importantly, it had a nice, active and predictive response to spin imparted with the money clubs on shots under a full swing. I'm going to have to investigate the Bridgestone line further. The Titleist Pro V my coworkers play and got me to try was alright, I could jerk the string on full shots, but for me, it wasn't it for finesse spin on less than full shots.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. anhthinhspkt
      anhthinhspkt
      (25 years old)
    2. DARTSO
      DARTSO
      (40 years old)
    3. davem1955
      davem1955
      (65 years old)
    4. matteson83
      matteson83
      (37 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...