humblepeasant

Hole Shortened Due to Maintenance

10 posts / 1258 viewsLast Reply

At my home course, there is a par 5 with the tees moved 200+ yards forward due to some maintenance they're doing on the fairway. With a solid shot, I can easily reach the green from the tee with my driver. According to the rules (for handicap score posting purposes), am I supposed to add a stroke to my score in this type of situation? There's nothing at the course indicating that I should (the sign with the par and yardages hasn't been modified). Thanks!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

For handicap purposes, treat it as if the hole was not played at all.  Post par, plus any handicap strokes to which you would be entitled.

For example, if your course handicap is 10, and this par-5 hole has a handicap rating of 6, you would ordinarily receive one stroke when playing the hole.  As such, you would post your par 5, plus your one stroke, for a net 6.   If the handicap rating for the hole is 12, as a 10 handicap you would not be entitled to a stroke on that hole, so you simply post par.  In this case 5.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

For handicap purposes, treat it as if the hole was not played at all.  Post par, plus any handicap strokes to which you would be entitled.

For example, if your course handicap is 10, and this par-5 hole has a handicap rating of 6, you would ordinarily receive one stroke when playing the hole.  As such, you would post your par 5, plus your one stroke, for a net 6.   If the handicap rating for the hole is 12, as a 10 handicap you would not be entitled to a stroke on that hole, so you simply post par.  In this case 5.

@David in FL is absolutely right.  If you want to read it for yourself, this is Rule 4-2 in the USGA Handicap Manual

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14377

Thanks, guys! My only question would be then, where do you draw the line? My example is obvious because it's such a drastic change. But tees are routinely moved a little bit periodically to different grass. Is 20 yards the line? 50 yards? Seems to me the course should have a sign to eliminate ambiguity (maybe they're supposed to). I suppose if the tee markers are simply outside of their normal boxes, maybe that's the line. Thanks for the help!!

I think if you have a question, ask in the pro shop before you post your score.  Minor changes shouldn't make a difference.  In theory things should even out.

5 minutes ago, Asheville said:

5-2g Posting a Score from an Unrated Set of Tees on a Rated Course offers another option.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

I agree, and it would be appropriate for the course (Handicap Committee if one is active) to do the calculation and let all members know the correct procedure if the construction is going to take an extended period to complete.  I believe the Committee would have the CR and Slope revised in the computerized system, so the change is made automatically when a player enters a score normally.  In general, to me its more appropriate for an individual player to use 4-2, while 5-2 is generally more appropriate to be used by the Committee or management.  I know if I'm on the Committee reviewing scores, I see that @humblepeasant played on Thursday, and entered a score with an odd CR and slope, I'll have questions for him.

31 minutes ago, humblepeasant said:

Thanks everyone! Knowledgeable people here! 😀

Quite civilized here too

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.