bones75

GIRs and Short Executive Courses

14 posts / 1817 viewsLast Reply

I played a short executive course near LA (Scholl Canyon). I got 18 girs and was one over. The course has 11/12 of the par 3's under 150 yds, and all six par 4's play under 260 yds, so not trying to sound impressive at all. All irons, didn't use any woods or driver.

That said, it felt like a really good performance for my level, but I'm not sure. I can't remember the last time I've played an executive. 1 birdie (missed like six 6-footers for bird). two 3 putts for a +1 61 (par 60)

How do you guys do on short executives compared to regular courses (in relation to par)? Anyone gotten near 18 girs for a round, executive courses or regular? How'd you score?

Edited by bones75

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, bones75 said:

I played a short executive course near LA (Scholl Canyon). I got 18 girs and was one over. The course has 11/12 of the par 3's under 150 yds, and all six par 4's play under 260 yds, so not trying to sound impressive at all. All irons, didn't use any woods or driver.

That said, it felt like a really good performance for my level, but I'm not sure. I can't remember the last time I've played an executive. 1 birdie (missed like six 6-footers for bird). two 3 putts for a +1 61 (par 60)

How do you guys do on short executives compared to regular courses (in relation to par)? Anyone gotten near 18 girs for a round, executive courses or regular? How'd you score?

excellent golf ..... if your at the course that has the clowns and windmills you still have to hit the shots to score that well....that is outstanding golf by any measure...I'm convinced that if someone plays the club they have the most confidence in and has the discipline to stay with that strategy for 18 holes...they will score consistently better.....great round ...keep it up.... super...super...golf !!!!

I play 2 short little executive courses with my 83 year old dad quite a bit.  One is a par 60 and one is par 61.  

They’re great for tuning up my iron game.  I don’t use a tee, except for the very occasional driver, and play each shot as if it were an approach shot on a normal course.  

They're a blast, and although I’ve never shot better than even par on a full sized course, I’ll break par occasionally on them.   My best is a 57.   Jim Furyk, eat your heart out!   Of course, it’s also fun to play with my dad and his older buddies.  To them I’m that young, flat-bellied, long hitter.  :-D

...my rat-bastard golfing buddies call me popop.   :8)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kind of wish we still had a short executive course in my area. Those little par 3s where I'm hitting 7-iron or less are my kind of holes.

One of my favorite golfing days ever was when my brother Ed (a non-golfer) and I played a pitch-and-putt in Delaware. I was out there to help him move to New York and we took a break for one afternoon in his moving process and had a lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure it was this place: 

Edited by mcanadiens

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Kind of wish we still had a short executive course in my area. Those little par 3s where I'm hitting 7-iron or less are my kind of holes.

One of my favorite golfing days ever was when my brother Ed (a non-golfer) and I played a pitch-and-putt in Delaware. I was out there to help him move to New York and we took a break for one afternoon in his moving process and had a lot of fun.

I think Rollandia is open again. I saw people out there when I drove by a few weeks ago. They have added footgolf, so watch out for kids.

To the OP, I play a shorter regulation course when I need to build some confidence. It's a lot of fun since the par 5s are reachable and some of the par 4s are drivable. I played the front 9 a few weeks ago and shot 37 (+2). I should be able to play this course at or under par, but it's nice not having to play mid or long irons into greens like I do at my home course.

image.png

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think Rollandia is open again. I saw people out there when I drove by a few weeks ago. They have added footgolf, so watch out for kids.

Really? Those clowns still have FInk's face on the website, so I figured nobody was doing anything down there. May have to get my brothers together next time they are in town.. 

As far as the Community GC Dales Course (the scorecard shown) goes, it is a friendly course. Now more friendly than ever, with the ash borer knocking out a ton of the trees. Going down and back up the hill on No. 6 and 7 can take the piss out of you, but that back nine is made to order. 

I hit 13/16 GIR at a par-3 course about two years ago.  IIRC, they were doing some construction work and weren't expecting many people to play it.  It's the kind of course that stays open in the off-season, but for anything other than early morning play, they have you leave your payment in cash in an envelope and put that through a mail slot.  I look forward to playing that course again this summer, maybe I'll do better.

Here's the GG round from it.  At one point I had to ask GG to remove counting 13/16 as my GIR record (it is) as I want to know when I hit a new personal best GIR at a regulation course, and I know my personal best there is probably something like 10 GIR.

1766795_FtJjx9WL.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

13 hours ago, bones75 said:

For comparison purposes, when I'm playing well I hit the green about 70% from 60-120 yards and 60% from 120-150 yards and I think that I am somewhat close to average for my 7ish handicap.  So assuming that you had at least 15 shots over 60 yards that's really good shooting no matter the course, plus there's the fact that executive courses often have smaller greens to shoot at - congrats.

I am lucky to have Peachtree Golf Center near me.  It's a Par 3 course, which is actually next door to an (overpriced) executive course, that serves as a really good examination of how well you hit your irons.  From the blue tees, the holes range from 104 to 190 yards.  The 104 yard hole is the outlier, as it's the only hole under 110 yards.  There are four holes in the 110-130 yard range.  There are six holes that are from 135 yards to 149 yards, and the rest are over 150 yards, which means you need pretty much every iron in the bag.  The front nine ends with a hole that measures 183 yards, and the back nine finishes with holes that measure 172 yards (17) and 190 yards (18).  The 18th hole is a forced carry over about 170 yards over water to a green surrounded by mounds, which really make the green look like a table-top.

When I played the other night (yeah... it's lit!) I missed almost all of the greens, but I was generally in the fringe, and usually just a bit short, on a good line toward the hole.  I think I only hit three greens, and I shot 18 over, though I was 14 over when I got to 18.

Edited by bwdial

I actually have only played one executive course in my entire life. And i don't remember much about it aside from it being in new jersey. But i actually practice for tournaments sometimes by playing the ladies tees. It gets me more into a attacking mindset which carries over into my tournament rounds sometimes. 

Played one yesterday and playing it again tomorrow.   This course is 106 to 513 so you can work on all parts of your game.  

My home course used to be an executive course. Par 65. I still play it from time to time. Short courses don’t have to be easy. Sure length makes them much easier than regulation courses for the most part but the one I play is easily the tightest course I have ever played. One hole is less than 30 yards between OB on both sides down the entire length of fairways. Course rating is 63, but I have never seen any “guest” shoot their handicap. 

Here is a shout out to Par 3 courses!!!  In the book, "Tiger Woods Made Me Look Like a Genius: Five Simple Ways to Take Ten Strokes Off Your Game." written by his high school golf coach... the coach told his players that "All Holes Are Par 3s"   When it is a Par 3 it is a Par 3, When it is a Par 4, once you hit your drive, it is a Par 3, ....when it is a Par 3, you hit your tee shot and one other shot, and then it is a Par 3.   So if you REALLY want to get your score lower, play A LOT of Par 3 courses, since if you can not score even par from a Par 3 course, you probably never will from a full size course.  

And mentally for me, after my drive  on a Par 4, I think, now , I am playing a Par 3.

Just an idea...  that may encourage all of us to both think differently and seek out par 3 and even executive courses.

7 minutes ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

when it is a Par 3, you hit your tee shot and one other shot, and then it is a Par 3.   

Sounds like how I play par-3s! 

But really, the idea of hitting two shots on a par-5 and then mentally treating the rest as a par-3 helps me a lot, especially since I pretty much can't reach in two.  But I can hit two good shots to leave me a relatively easy par-3:  I think about where I want the "tee shot" to be from and strive to make it the shortest possible par-3.  At my home course, two good shots on the first and last par-5s leave me with manageable 60-80 yard par-3s;  a good drive or a good fairway wood can make that even shorter.