IGNORED

Aimpoint Green Reading, Extreme Slope

Note: This thread is 1754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/19/2019 at 8:32 PM, iacas said:

Yep, I remember it now. Tommy Armour III in our practice round couldn't keep it on the planet from the tee box with a hybrid.

I don't think the slopes are quite that severe. If they were there would not be more than like 1 or 2 pinnable positions.

You have a "4.5" marked in an area with almost no arrows, and a 3.6 nearby, neither of which are really even pinnable themselves. The 5 is not pinnable.

I'm not there, and you are, so while I want to believe you… I basically have a hard time remembering anything anywhere near this severe or that a set of greens like this could exist at anything above even about 7.5 stimp or so.

I measured it with a digital level.  I had a putt Wednesday where I got above the hole and had to putt 90 degrees to the pin to have the putt roll 4 feet past from 20 feet.  I did hit the uphill putt for par.

The person that I was playing with and I then hit several putts each from that spot and my first putt was the best, or at least left the best leave for the second.  If I had had my phone in my pocket I would have taken video.  I'll try and get some video it is a difficult green.  If you get into the rough behind the hole you are pretty much doomed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I’m not sure what the point of that post was. It doesn’t refute what I said.

Lake View has a severe green or two if you get above the flag. What it doesn’t have is “6-7% almost everywhere.” That wouldn’t be a playable course. That’s not what you have.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, inthecup said:

I took the "Classic" Aimpoint class with the book.  My course has greens with extreme slopes, 6-7% almost everywhere.  Is there a way to translate the book into these extreme slopes?  Does Aimpoint express address this?

I don’t think this is accurate, and a 3.6% slope isn’t “6-7” or “almost everywhere.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’m not sure what the point of that post was. It doesn’t refute what I said.

Lake View has a severe green or two if you get above the flag. What it doesn’t have is “6-7% almost everywhere.” That wouldn’t be a playable course. That’s not what you have.

I don’t think this is accurate, and a 3.6% slope isn’t “6-7” or “almost everywhere.”

OK, my choice of words was poor. How about the course has several areas where you could get in a situation where you were putting through areas with greater than 4% slope.  As I was measuring the greens it became apparent the slopes were more than Aim point was designed for so I measured less and less points.

I am not sure of your point?  The question was simply is there a logic or mechanism to use the book to judge a putt with greater than 4% slope.  Then everyone started saying it was impossible to have greater than 4%?  You are formally invited to play and experience it for yourself.  I'll buy you a meal and beer after.

• Administrator

I'm making three points, mainly.

1. The old books don't really deal with > 4%. AimPoint Express does.
  2. You're not going to have many putts that are > 4%. Not only would you have to be putting directly 90° to a slope, but the slope would have to be 5% or more, too. Now, the way the books work, technically putting 15° up a slope that's 5% can't really be read, but with Express it can.
  3. I'm still not sure I buy the numbers on some of those holes. This is almost beside the point, though, so I won't belabor it any more.

Lake View and some other courses nearby have plenty of putts where you actually aim quite a ways away from the putt. Greens where 3' putts can break 3' if you let them. Etc.

They just can't be that common because stuff would be unplayable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!