IGNORED

Dustin Johnson Spitting

joneal
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it a bad habit, sure... It's not the end of the world. It's a waste of energy to make a big deal of this sort of thing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dustin Johnson chews..   though relatively inconspicuously.     You really wanna lose your shit, get some eyes on Kevin Kisner sometime.   

honestly, though.  who cares?  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I saw Brooks Koepka spit a few times yesterday! EVERYONE GRAB YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

I am more partial to tar and feathers. 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's hard to take the OP seriously after there was a similar thread about Woods after the Masters. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

17 hours ago, joneal said:

Last time I looked, this site was called The Sand Trap, not The Dugout.  Different game, different etiquette.   Chewing and spitting in baseball have long been part of the game, some may say part of its charm.  I have no problem with this practice in baseball.  Golf is a different game.  I never saw Arnie or Jack spit.  We choose our heroes, I suppose.  I prefer those who spit less on the golf course.  That's all.

Agreed.  We all do it--spitting, that is--at one time or another (cold, allergies, whatever).  It's just about spitting all the time...

I would rather see someone spit than a smoker leaving ashes all over the place. Cigar smokers on a golf course are the worst offenders. Last week I found a large cigar ash on a green that was probably still an ember when it landed and it burned the green. Spitting does zero harm unless it is something like Sergio did when he spit in the cup.

Bill M

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Is it a bad habit, sure...

Is it?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

17 hours ago, joneal said:

Different game, different etiquette

Out of all the players out there who don't spit on the course, I wonder how many of them properly repair their pitch marks, if at all?

When I go on a run, I end up needing to spit, rather frequently.  I try to be low key about it, and when I spit on the course I stamp it into the turf a bit with my shoes so there isn't a wad of spit sitting there.  Never do it on the green though, it can wait.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

21 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Out of all the players out there who don't spit on the course, I wonder how many of them properly repair their pitch marks, if at all?

When I go on a run, I end up needing to spit, rather frequently.  I try to be low key about it, and when I spit on the course I stamp it into the turf a bit with my shoes so there isn't a wad of spit sitting there.  Never do it on the green though, it can wait.

This thread is the spittin' image of another similar thread on here.

• Like 1

yawn....I better put on my monocle and spats and go create a new etiquette book.

(spitting - as long it doesn't spray seeds or butts,......yawn)

Bill - 

21 hours ago, joneal said:

Last time I looked, this site was called The Sand Trap, not The Dugout.  Different game, different etiquette.   Chewing and spitting in baseball have long been part of the game, some may say part of its charm.  I have no problem with this practice in baseball.  Golf is a different game.  I never saw Arnie or Jack spit.  We choose our heroes, I suppose.  I prefer those who spit less on the golf course.  That's all.

Agreed.  We all do it--spitting, that is--at one time or another (cold, allergies, whatever).  It's just about spitting all the time...

I played with a group of seniors today, them spitting was the least of my worries. They watered every tree on the back side if you know what I mean. 😂

On 6/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, TRUCKER said:

Are you still playing with the AVX?

yes

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I played with a group of seniors today, them spitting was the least of my worries. They watered every tree on the back side if you know what I mean. 😂

yes

LOL. When you older young man, you will fully understand how older folks' rrigation systems work like they do.......

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

21 hours ago, iacas said:

You sure as heck saw them smoking. That’s worse by far.

Beat me to it. While we're at it, maybe we shouldn't fart, blow our noses, loosen our pants to re-tuck our shirts, sneeze, cough, burp, scratch, adjust our undies, sweat, eat, drink, swear, or do anything else remotely human while playing golf! 

As a non US citizen, DJ represents DJ, not at all the US or a a PGA tour player. Not even a golfers, just him. 

I don´t like it when they spit but i don´t think they do it on pourpuse, they just need to do it like going to the bathdroom, so i´m good with it.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I spit quite often. I have always had a situation with fluid build up/congestion. I can deal with it often but if I have any minor cold or similar the amount saliva I create is massive. So outside I spit a lot. When I golf/bike/hike I spit often. When golfing I typically spit away from sight and in non primary areas. If that's offensive, I don't care. It's not done to be offensive, it's done to remove excessive saliva build up. Maybe DJ has a similar situation.   

I'm by no means highfalutin but the spitting in all sports does bother me too.  I watch a lot of hockey and the constant spitting is a turn off. 

I saw Koepka spitting a ton this past wknd.  If he was under the weather or had allergies that's one thing but when it gets habitual as a way to stay in a competitive posture through the round/game that I'll just never understand. 

And I do agree that a pro who gets a lot of TV coverage does have influence over young kids and I just don't see the point of propagating that kind of behavior.

I think it's generally accepted that spitting unless for necessity every once in a while is seen as low-class behavior.  Why does that change during a round/game?

In the end, it's something I don't really care that much about and I'll still watch but I'd prefer to not see it.

Also, having to spit a ton to play golf?  C'mon.

43 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

I spit quite often. I have always had a situation with fluid build up/congestion. I can deal with it often but if I have any minor cold or similar the amount saliva I create is massive. So outside I spit a lot. When I golf/bike/hike I spit often. When golfing I typically spit away from sight and in non primary areas. If that's offensive, I don't care. It's not done to be offensive, it's done to remove excessive saliva build up. Maybe DJ has a similar situation.   

You know reading this maybe that's what the players are trying to do.  Maybe they are trying to do it out of sight but the cameras seem to be catching them doing it.

Still in all, I think plenty of athletes spit unnecessarily out of habit. 

Edited by hespeler

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!