Frank-0-Sport

Korn Ferry Replaces WebDotCom as Developmental Tour Sponsor

19 posts / 1846 viewsLast Reply

On Wednesday June 19 2019, the PGA Tour announced that the Los Angeles-based consulting firm of Korn Ferry has become the new sponsor of the PGA Tour's  Developmental Tour (prior names -- Hogan, Nike, Nationwide).

»» Details From PGATOUR-dot-Com ««

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Sounds corny. Like something only a fairy would approve of. But hey, I’m sure they’ll get plenty of KFC at all their events....

Ok ok. I got it all out of me. I’m good.

And I barely just got used to calling it the web.com tour.  Okay, we have a new name for the Nike Tour finally. ;-)  

But for real, I'm going to make an effort to figure out who they are.  At some point.  Or they'll make me informed, that'll be cool too.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never thought I'd pine for Nationwide, but here we are. 

What a poor choice. Just a silly name. Sounds ridiculous.

15 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Sounds corny. Like something only a fairy would approve of. But hey, I’m sure they’ll get plenty of KFC at all their events....

Ok ok. I got it all out of me. I’m good.

Good work. Good work. 

Guess it must be really hard to justify / recoup the corporate investment necessary for this tour - seems like its a new name every 5 years or so. Only people who must love this are the logo companies!

On 6/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, Vinsk said:

What a poor choice. Just a silly name. Sounds ridiculous.

Yes. A crazy and "poor" choice to take their money. They should hand over their millions and change their name because you don't like it. That would make great financial sense. Or are you suggesting the Tour should reject their sponsorship because you think the name sounds "ridiculous"?

Edited by leftybutnotPM

13 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Yes. A crazy and "poor" choice to take their money. They should hand over their millions and change their name because you don't like it. That would make great financial sense. Or are you suggesting the Tour should reject their sponsorship because you think the name sounds "ridiculous"?

Making up numbers, but if they were offered $1,000 by Korn Ferry and $900 by, say Callaway, you could absolutely make the argument that they should take slightly less money for the more recognizable/less stupid-sounding sponsor. 

Not saying that was actually an option on the table - maybe Korn Ferry, whomever they are, blew away the competition - but if they simply blindly went with whomever offered the most money, that could have been a mistake. 

8 hours ago, jamo said:

Making up numbers, but if they were offered $1,000 by Korn Ferry and $900 by, say Callaway, you could absolutely make the argument that they should take slightly less money for the more recognizable/less stupid-sounding sponsor. 

Not saying that was actually an option on the table - maybe Korn Ferry, whomever they are, blew away the competition - but if they simply blindly went with whomever offered the most money, that could have been a mistake. 

But isn't it about brand recognition for Korn Ferry rather than the Tour? I totally get what you're saying - I think they should call it the INSERT SPONSOR'S NAME HERE Secondary PGATour.

At least that would tell non-fans what it was.

One thing that I find a little annoying is when they change references to previous tournaments.  IIRC, when they switched from Nationwide to Web-dot-com, they referred to previous winners on Web-dot-com, when the tour was called Nationwide at the time.

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

One thing that I find a little annoying is when they change references to previous tournaments.  IIRC, when they switched from Nationwide to Web-dot-com, they referred to previous winners on Web-dot-com, when the tour was called Nationwide at the time.

This is normal for naming rights on the PGA Tour -- you buy naming rights to the entire tournament, not just a year's event too.  Their record books will tell you that Paul Harney won the Farmers Insurance Open for his sixth and final tour win, although even if he were alive today, he might not tell the story the same way. 

I also think the name sounds ridiculous but please don't accuse me of even thinking that they shouldn't have taken the money, the sponsor and the name.  But that won't stop me from thinking the name sounds silly and ridiculous.  Maybe the Shitz Company should have taken over the tour and called it "The Shitz Tour."  How about "The Popeye's Chicken Tour?"  Some names just don't belong.  Or will take a while to get used to.  "Hey Charlie!  I made it to the Korn Ferry Tour!!"

On 6/23/2019 at 4:31 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

I'm not sure where stating that the name sounds stupid suddenly becomes equivalent to suggesting a change in action or rejecting sponsorship dollars.  Straw man argument.  Sometimes people just make comments without the intent to force others to agree or take action.