IGNORED

Orlando Area Golf

IronByron
Note: This thread is 1115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

First thing in the morning, I think its a 730 AM direct to Dulles.

Bummer, we arrive Friday ay 8 pm.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

First thing in the morning, I think its a 730 AM direct to Dulles.

If you're up for it, we'll be here around 8:15-8:30 pm for dinner and a beer.

b74dce40-de8c-4ae4-aab3-8996005b9d2b.jpg

Menu for Rock & Brews in Orlando, FL. Explore latest menu with photos and reviews.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

If you're up for it, we'll be here around 8:15-8:30 pm for dinner and a beer.

b74dce40-de8c-4ae4-aab3-8996005b9d2b.jpg

Menu for Rock & Brews in Orlando, FL. Explore latest menu with photos and reviews.

We'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

@Vinskand @David in FL, we only have 3 for Friday the 22nd at Disney's Magnolia course and 2 at Shingle Creek on Tuesday the 19th.  I haven't booked Saturday yet, but if either of you are interested in joining us to play, let me know and I'll add you to our tee time, if they haven't joined us up with someone yet.

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

We're back, and I thought I'd add a few comments on the places we played.  I want to thank everyone who posted suggestions throughout the life of this thread, it was very helpful.  I'll arrange these comments from least favorite to most favorite.

Mission Inn - Las Colinas.  Our first day of golf, the layout is pretty decent, with small greens and some really narrow driving areas.  There's a bit of vertical relief as well.  But the course was in so-so condition, thin grass in the fairways, and some patchy areas (repaired with plugs and still healing) on the greens.

Falcon's Fire.  A nice layout, moderately flat, decent shape.  We had the coldest and windiest weather playing here.  

Shingle Creek - Not particularly demanding, but really nice condition.  Another pretty flat course, which is pretty much what I expected for Florida golf.   A lot of lateral water, but lots of room off the tee as well.  This round was the slowest of the week, a bit over 4-1/2 hours.

Southern Dunes - A bit out of town to the south, this course had much more severe slopes, lots of sand, really large really undulating and really fast greens.  REALLY fast.  Also, really friendly service.

Orange County National.  We played Crooked Cat first, and decided to play Panther Lakes a few days later.  Really well conditioned, ample elevation changes (not as much as Southern Dunes), reasonably demanding shot requirements, this is a really good facility all the way around.  On the other hand, its a bit of a "golf factory", so service seemed a little less personal.  Also, the practice range is a long way from the main clubhouse, so if you're going here, allow extra time for check-in and warm-up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

We're back, and I thought I'd add a few comments on the places we played.  I want to thank everyone who posted suggestions throughout the life of this thread, it was very helpful.  I'll arrange these comments from least favorite to most favorite.

Mission Inn - Las Colinas.  Our first day of golf, the layout is pretty decent, with small greens and some really narrow driving areas.  There's a bit of vertical relief as well.  But the course was in so-so condition, thin grass in the fairways, and some patchy areas (repaired with plugs and still healing) on the greens.

Falcon's Fire.  A nice layout, moderately flat, decent shape.  We had the coldest and windiest weather playing here.  

Shingle Creek - Not particularly demanding, but really nice condition.  Another pretty flat course, which is pretty much what I expected for Florida golf.   A lot of lateral water, but lots of room off the tee as well.  This round was the slowest of the week, a bit over 4-1/2 hours.

Southern Dunes - A bit out of town to the south, this course had much more severe slopes, lots of sand, really large really undulating and really fast greens.  REALLY fast.  Also, really friendly service.

Orange County National.  We played Crooked Cat first, and decided to play Panther Lakes a few days later.  Really well conditioned, ample elevation changes (not as much as Southern Dunes), reasonably demanding shot requirements, this is a really good facility all the way around.  On the other hand, its a bit of a "golf factory", so service seemed a little less personal.  Also, the practice range is a long way from the main clubhouse, so if you're going here, allow extra time for check-in and warm-up.

Nice, I’ve played all of those courses except Southern Dunes and Shingle Creek, but I’ll be playing Shingle Creek on Tuesday.  

-Jerry

On 1/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, DaveP043 said:

I played Shingle Creek today, as noted by @DaveP043, this is not a demanding course off the tee by any stretch, there was lots of water around but unless you were way offline, it didn’t really come into play.  Conditions were great, greens rolled very well (not too fast).  There are better courses in the area for the price, but we went out before our tee time and got done in about 3.5 hours, so was nice and ther weather was 70, great day on the course with my Dad.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

On 1/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, jsgolfer said:

@Vinskand @David in FL, we only have 3 for Friday the 22nd at Disney's Magnolia course and 2 at Shingle Creek on Tuesday the 19th.  I haven't booked Saturday yet, but if either of you are interested in joining us to play, let me know and I'll add you to our tee time, if they haven't joined us up with someone yet.

Crap, I just saw this!  Sorry, but I make it.  Maybe next time...

Looks like the weather is going to be great for you.  Hit ‘em well and have fun!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Crap, I just saw this!  Sorry, but I make it.  Maybe next time...

Looks like the weather is going to be great for you.  Hit ‘em well and have fun!

We still have three for Friday and two for Saturday and Sunday if they haven’t put anyone with us yet.

Playing Disney Palms on Friday with my Dad and @kpaulhus, playing Forest Lake on Saturday with my Dad and North Shore with my Dad Sunday morning before heading back to VA.

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

@DaveP043Good thing I'm going back to Orlando in a couple more weeks.  Playing and staying at Orange County National. 

-Jerry

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

@DaveP043Good thing I'm going back to Orlando in a couple more weeks.  Playing and staying at Orange County National. 

I enjoyed both courses there, both layout and conditioning.  If you get a chance, I thought Southern dunes was also really solid.   Have fun!

Dave

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I enjoyed both courses there, both layout and conditioning.  If you get a chance, I thought Southern dunes was also really solid.   Have fun!

I like both of the Orange County Courses, as well, have played them both a few times.

Forest Lake Golf Course on the other hand, don't bother playing it.  Terrible shape, layout not all that inspiring either.

-Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Played MetroWest today, what a dreadful golf course.  One and done with this track. 25 minutes behind on tee times, didn’t have enough carts, they were waiting for players to finish so they could do a quick clean and get them to next group.  And then the grass was sparse, greens had fungus all over them.  We got in 14 holes and then quit, as it was getting dark and actually cold, plus it was so slow....

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

On 1/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, DaveP043 said:

A bit of a bump here, glad you got away to Orlando and had a good time. If I went to O I would seek out Royal St. Cloud again. With a little imagination you are playing somewhere in the Brittish Isles. They have 27 holes of links style golf that is just 'pleasant'. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I want to mention a course which is much more downmarket, but which we enjoyed so much we played it twice during our last holiday in Kissimmee: Oaks National. It has some really memorable holes, including a dog-leg where you hit your tee shot over water, then play almost at a right angle to the green, again over water. The best is a hole where the men‘s tee requires a drive over around 170 yards over high swamp vegetation to a fairway you can‘t see from the tee. I believe the green fee was around $30, and we really enjoyed the rounds we played there. To top it all: on the 10th hole a bald eagle sat on the ground and watched us play!

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!