IGNORED

NHL 2019-20

iacas
Note: This thread is 1288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As. Ranger fan the Canes are the gift that keeps on giving. First they wipe the flow with us and help us to the #1 pick and now they are down 1-0 to The Bruins and we own the Canes first round pick this year so I’m all aboard The Bruin train at least for round 1. 

These playoffs have been great and I admit that as being a voice who said “Shut it down” all along. I never thought they could pull it off. Hats off the The NHL. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

56 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Hope you enjoy it. Don't worry, we won't give you a pop quiz afterward.

Really, hockey is a pretty straightforward game once you get the basic icing and offside rules figured out. The rest of it is sort of self-explanatory even if certain referees calling of penalties isn't. Probably a lot simpler game than football for example.

Also understand that TV does the sport no justice. If you got the time and money, hit up a game when the virus gets under control. Along with the NHL's Kings and Ducks, there are a number of minor league teams in California. Seeing it in person is a different experience.

Thanks!  What I'm trying to get into is understanding what the strategy going on on the ice is.  For example, when I watch football, I find line play and pre-snap adjustments to be more fun than the routes or a pass.  At some point I'd like to be able to tell if something was a good shot on goal by some metric other than "did it go in?"

I have a Ducks hat, courtesy of when I gave blood back in I think May.  It was the first chance for me to give blood post-lockdown that didn't involve walking into a hospital, and it was at the Pond.  However, I don't think they're who I'd end up rooting for if I get into hockey enough to pick a team (it's going to be the Coyotes barring something bizarre, like finding out I know a player or something).

I'll definitely get out to a game though when reopening happens.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Thanks!  What I'm trying to get into is understanding what the strategy going on on the ice is.  For example, when I watch football, I find line play and pre-snap adjustments to be more fun than the routes or a pass.  At some point I'd like to be able to tell if something was a good shot on goal by some metric other than "did it go in?"

Going in the net is the best measure. It's the only one that counts.

Most goals are scored close to the net. So good opportunities are between the face-off circles and in towards the crease (the blue area the goalie stands in). People get excited when a player winds up for the big slap shot from the blue line, but NHL-caliber goalies are going to save those most of the time if they have clear sight of the shot. Having offensive players close to the goal can result in these shots getting tipped past a goalie or provide a screen to make it harder for the goalie to see the puck. Also spectacular to watch are breakaway goals where a player streaks in on net. Understand these are normally clear-cut defensive mistakes when they happen.

Naturally, there is strategy involved. It's not quite as systematic as football of course. Different players have different responsibilities in a given situation. Coaches attempt to match the opponents line with the line he thinks can best do the job against them. Other than off face-offs, you don't necessarily have the chance to design a play like you would in football, so play is much more free-flowing.

Really appreciating what a particular coach is doing involves knowing who is on the ice both for your own team and the opponent. Fortunately, the action involved in hockey makes the sport infinitely watchable even if you only have a very loose concept for the strategy involved.

• Informative 1

Stupid early games cost me the chance to watch that 5-0 Habs win in Game Two.

Where did that come from?

Now about ready to see the home-state boys play Tampa.

On Friday, the Coyotes spent the first two periods trying to freeze the Colorado goalie by not attempting many shots on goal (8 in two periods) in hopes he'd be rusty by the third period.  It didn't work well.  They tried something else on Saturday and won.  27 minutes into today's game, they're back to Friday's failing strategy, 4 shots on goal so far and down 0-3 already (two of those were power play goals). 

And as I type this, tripping call on Arizona. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 8/17/2020 at 6:53 PM, Shindig said:

On Friday, the Coyotes spent the first two periods trying to freeze the Colorado goalie by not attempting many shots on goal (8 in two periods) in hopes he'd be rusty by the third period.  It didn't work well.  They tried something else on Saturday and won.  27 minutes into today's game, they're back to Friday's failing strategy, 4 shots on goal so far and down 0-3 already (two of those were power play goals). 

And as I type this, tripping call on Arizona. 

Didn't watch the game, but very few teams ever make it a strategy to "freeze a goalie by not attempting many shots". If a team isn't getting many shots on goal, it's usually because the other team is maintaining possession (in other words, skating much better). In certain cases, teams do a very good job in the defensive zone of jamming the shooting lanes. But, I don't think I've ever seen a team make a strategy out of not shooting the puck in order to bore the goalie to death.

One team to make note of here is the old Soviet Red Army teams. Those guys were so talented that they skated and passed the puck until it was in position for a high percentage shot. It's not really something North American teams have ever particularly done. Here shot volume is usually a good thing, along with crashing the net.

• Administrator

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe so.

He has previously represented himself as entirely new to the sport. Plus what he posted there wasn't very funny, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I’m back to thank the Canes for continuing to fuel The Ranger rebuild. 

in the past 12 months they have given us Fox, Gauthier, taken Skjei’s contract off our hands, given us a first round pick guaranteed to be between 20 and 24th, and given us the #1 overall pick in exchange for:

a second and third round pick, Skjei and Joey Keene, and an embarrassing sweep in the play in. 

lol. All I have is the promise of a decade of competing and I’ll take it. 

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

28 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Maybe so.

He has previously represented himself as entirely new to the sport. Plus what he posted there wasn't very funny, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Probably not a bad assumption.   Erik is right here, though :  I was trying to find a funny way to spin some optimism into a dismal performance by the Coyotes.  They got eliminated last night (spoiler, I guess, but not a surprise to anyone I think) but I've been really enjoying watching.  Hopefully I can continue to figure out what's happening on the ice. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

24 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Probably not a bad assumption.   Erik is right here, though :  I was trying to find a funny way to spin some optimism into a dismal performance by the Coyotes.  They got eliminated last night (spoiler, I guess, but not a surprise to anyone I think) but I've been really enjoying watching.  Hopefully I can continue to figure out what's happening on the ice. 

Sorry. Hope you didn't take offense to my saying you weren't funny.

Rather like my Canadiens, Arizona sort of got in through the back door. Didn't realize it was the first playoff for them since 2012, but it sounds like they got some work to do. 

As for the Habs, I was very pleased with their efforts last night to force game 6 against Philly. After those two goals against on the major penalty to Kotkaniemi, they really pulled together. Still an uphill battle against the East's No.1

11 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Sorry. Hope you didn't take offense to my saying you weren't funny.

Rather like my Canadiens, Arizona sort of got in through the back door. Didn't realize it was the first playoff for them since 2012, but it sounds like they got some work to do. 

As for the Habs, I was very pleased with their efforts last night to force game 6 against Philly. After those two goals against on the major penalty to Kotkaniemi, they really pulled together. Still an uphill battle against the East's No.1

No offense taken.  You should hear the things I've said watching football in bars and the weird looks I've gotten. 

I saw the Habs game too.  A friend of mine (the one who gifted me the books last year) sent me a YouTube video right after the second Philly goal during the major penalty of a Sharks v Knights game from I think last year where the Sharks did major damage during a major penalty. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

Okay, I thought I had just predicted a goalie save, which is something I'm trying to figure out for shots on goal if I can.  Yep, that's a save, I thought, for the first time being really cognizant of the thought, only to see the puck go in the goal.  

(Bruins' first goal on 8/23 in case anyone is seeing this late and wants to look up the play I thought was a for-sure save)

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well crap, Tampa is still partying, and the Oilers next season is already looking gloomy.  McDavid just tested positive for the 'Rona, and the teams closest thing to a number one d-man reportedly has an arthritic shoulder.  Business as usual...

Corey

On 8/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, Antneye said:

I’m back to thank the Canes for continuing to fuel The Ranger rebuild. 

in the past 12 months they have given us Fox, Gauthier, taken Skjei’s contract off our hands, given us a first round pick guaranteed to be between 20 and 24th, and given us the #1 overall pick in exchange for:

a second and third round pick, Skjei and Joey Keene, and an embarrassing sweep in the play in. 

lol. All I have is the promise of a decade of competing and I’ll take it. 

Welcome to NY, Alexis!!!!! :banana:

• Like 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

18 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Welcome to NY, Alexis!!!!! :banana:

I'm really liking our draft even outside of LAF. The lights are shining bright on Broadway!

2 hours ago, Antneye said:

I'm really liking our draft even outside of LAF. The lights are shining bright on Broadway!

I don't really get into the weeds of it all but from what I understand it's been a good draft so far.

Sorry to see Lias go but that relationship was over so at least we got something decent for him.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!