IGNORED

Breaking Bad

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But Heisenburg (thesandtrap's Heisenburg) mentioned it before the episode.

Aaaah yeah, I remember that now.

Good call...
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you think the hockey game is meaningless, shows that Badger is going to come back in a big way (i.e., Wisconsin Badgers), or that Walter is going to kill 6 people in the final episode?

I hope it ends with Walter dying, his family getting nothing but misery, and Walter realizing that in his final breath.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

right....

I posted that last week and the user I quoted said I was reaching.

then they showed it last night in the episode

Good call...

I know I'm nitpicking here but ... you said it in regards to the firemans chess game.  Just because black and white = grey doesn't mean that the chess game meant anything.  Regardless, still pretty cool that you were able to guess from that the word association of their company.

A lot of props if the chess game was a coincidence ... A loooooooot of props if the chess game was symbolism. ;)

If he won the NP, he'd have a nice little nest egg and probably set for life professionally wise. I'm sure you meant contributor as the plaque suggests, but in S1, he mentioned he worked for Sandia labs, so pretty good salary and career prospects and was expecting to upgrade to a bigger house when talking to the realtor in house on Negra Arroyo Lane. I want to know how he went from Sandia to HS chemistry teacher/part-time car washer.

In the card game, there were two kings. That meant something, just dunno what.

Not sure what to expect for Grey Matter - how much WW really contributed to its success needs to be explained. Then I'd make my judgement as to whether G&E; deserve the big gun if it comes to that.

Sorry, you're right... He didn't win it personally...  He was a contributor... But still.  Wouldn't that be a pretty big accolade in the world of science? I'd think he could use that to parlay himself into a sizeable gig elsewhere??

:offtopic:
[[Speaking of Sandia Labs... Funny story... I'm in the technology space (no, not space like -- outer space)... But there is a small regional trade show which highlights silicon/hardware/software that goes into various embedded applications.  And this tradeshow travels to various metros, one being ABQ.  And I have the luxury of covering the ABQ market from here in Socal and went to this tradeshow once to man our table top booth.  This tradeshow has become a stomping grounds for engineers looking to get out of the office, and get a free catered lunch... It's really a lame show tbh.  But the Sandia guys are infamous to frequent this event... You should see some of these guys. LOL  Walter White looks like Brad Pitt compared to some of these folk.  Some look like they've never been outdoors... And wearing the same clothes they wore in college... You know, back in 1978.]]

Sorry, you're right... He didn't win it personally...  He was a contributor... But still.  Wouldn't that be a pretty big accolade in the world of science? I'd think he could use that to parlay himself into a sizeable gig elsewhere??

Evidently not.  Although that reminds me ... forgive me if I've already posted this here but I don't think I have.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/if-breaking-bad-had-been-set-in-the-uk

When you break it all the way down, the moral of the entire story could be either to make sure you have good health care, and/or make sure you have life insurance!!

New random (yet plausible) theory the wife thought of last night. How apropos/ironic would it be if Walter White were to "win" next week by accomplishing whatever it is he sets out to do? Let's say he guns down all of the Aryans and gets his money back - and perhaps now we all think the ricin is for his old friends??** - and he succeeds there ... now he's left sitting there on his pile of money with ... nothing else to live for. (It would be extra judicial if his rogue chemo treatments worked and he beat the cancer ;))

LOL rogue chemo treatment

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I know I'm nitpicking here but ... you said it in regards to the firemans chess game.  Just because black and white = grey doesn't mean that the chess game meant anything.  Regardless, still pretty cool that you were able to guess from that the word association of their company.

A lot of props if the chess game was a coincidence ... A loooooooot of props if the chess game was symbolism. ;)

The chess game, and setup was already described by the writers of Ozymandias in the podcast here:

Listen to Episode 514 (Ozymandias).
The writers talk about how they had one of the guys who was part of the BB set crew / directors put together the layout of the chess game in advance.  And they strategically placed the pieces to show that the 'King' - the white piece was nearly in check and was nearly out of moves.
They didn't talk about tying Schwartz + White together = Grey Matter.... So I think that could be far reaching?  Although, there has been a lot of discussions about that in the past.  Heisenberg, while the first to mention it on this board, I've read others in the past tie those two together to come to the conclusion why Grey Matter carried such name.

• Administrator
how you like dem apples?

At this point you haven't actually foretold anything, except a little trivia about where the name of a company that hasn't played much of a role at all in the series came from (and others beat you to that punch). You tried to relate it all to a chess game, and if the series finale brings up Grey Matter as anything more than a blip, I have the feeling I'm going to be disappointed.

WW might be fueled by the way his life has gone since being booted from Grey Matter, but there's really been no sense of that throughout the series except once or twice, and none lately. I said "you're reaching" because you were relating it to the chess game. Absolutely nothing has happened with the chess game, except that the Schwarz's lying got him to not just turn himself in. They were used as they've been used throughout the series - as a convenient plot point to get something past the audience's BS detectors. From the outset, it was how WW paid for his chemo.

In some ways I'm glad Dexter ended last night, because even if the BB finale sucks, it can't be worse than Dexter, so I'm bound to like it at least a little bit. :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

no you're 100% right.

I just quoted my whole post. the chess and the last names being colors were two different ideas.

I was gloating merely about the Black+white+grey thing. =D

In some ways I'm glad Dexter ended last night, because even if the BB finale sucks, it can't be worse than Dexter, so I'm bound to like it at least a little bit.

Watch that last episode of Sherlock S2 - it'll make up for Dexter and more, you won't be disappointed although you might be banging on your flat panel, what the hell happens next!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I think I must have assumed you wouldn't post about that because people figured that out in season 1.

Watch that last episode of Sherlock S2 - it'll make up for Dexter and more, you won't be disappointed although you might be banging on your flat panel, what the hell happens next!

I think that one's not too hard to figure out. He either didn't jump himself, and then switched places with the other body, or he landed somewhere safe (on the garbage truck?) and then lay there. The homeless people helped cover it up, as did Molly to get him declared dead and to swap out his body for burial.

I do think Moriarty is dead, and Sherlock was actually surprised by his suicide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Evidently not.  Although that reminds me ... forgive me if I've already posted this here but I don't think I have.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/if-breaking-bad-had-been-set-in-the-uk

When you break it all the way down, the moral of the entire story could be either to make sure you have good health care, and/or make sure you have life insurance!!

I prefer this one...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Well in the scene it shows the White King move from the corner of the board to the left as we see here.

Also to note there is no white queen on the board. Only two pawns and a knight.

Could symbolize him being cornered and having a way out.

Or like suggested above, just to show the King which is White. Walter White etc.

furthermore: The man who owns Grey Matter is named Elliot Shwartz.

shwarz is German for the color black....

Walter White + Elliot Shwartz = Gray Matter

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I think y'all are officially reaching now.

how you like dem apples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

They mentioned that in the episode.

Quote:
Quote:

They mentioned that in the episode.

right....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Good call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
Quote:

right....

Quote:

Good call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
Quote:

The chess game, and setup was already described by the writers of Ozymandias in the podcast here:

Listen to Episode 514 (Ozymandias).
The writers talk about how they had one of the guys who was part of the BB set crew / directors put together the layout of the chess game in advance.  And they strategically placed the pieces to show that the 'King' - the white piece was nearly in check and was nearly out of moves.
They didn't talk about tying Schwartz + White together = Grey Matter.... So I think that could be far reaching?  Although, there has been a lot of discussions about that in the past.  Heisenberg, while the first to mention it on this board, I've read others in the past tie those two together to come to the conclusion why Grey Matter carried such name.

Quote:
Quote:

no you're 100% right.

I just quoted my whole post. the chess and the last names being colors were two different ideas.

I'm not sure why you're gloating about figuring this out? It was mentioned that this was the genesis of the company name in episode 1.5 entitled "Gray Matter."

Walt and Skylar go to Elliot's birthday party, and while Walt is shooting the shit with some of Elliot's friends/colleagues this is mentioned:
Quote:
Friend 1: This is the "white" in Gray Matter. Tell em, Walt.
Walt: Oh... well... when Elliot and I were in grad school, we came up with the name... Schwartz, "Black." Walter White... so together they made up "Gray Matter Technologies."
Friend 2: Oh so, you run the company with Elliot?
Walt: Uhhh...
Friend 1: No, no... that's really Gretchen and Elliot.

So the audience already knew this... at least, the ones like me who are comfortable wasting precious brain space to remember conversations from season one :-D

If Vince Gilligan or a writer comes out and mentions this chess game as a direct foreshadowing to Walt and Elliot's final confrontation, I will give forth props, but I still find it a stretch to mention that this single shot was anything more than a symbol of Walt's "cornered" situation who was left with only one way out: the Vacuum cleaner guy.

Constantine

Anybody else think that its not over with Saul yet?  I mean, that's it?  He just walks out the door to go to Omaha and then nothing?  Seems unfitting for somebody so important to the story.

Anybody else think that its not over with Saul yet?  I mean, that's it?  He just walks out the door to go to Omaha and then nothing?  Seems unfitting for somebody so important to the story.

I hope that's the end of him.  It might not be exciting, but its a logical and sort of sad ending for him.  Its more authentic this way.
The more I think about it, the more I like this ending for Saul.  He is a guy who built up his image, wore colorful clothes, and plastered his face everywhere.  It seems like he had a successful little practice going and was probably making good money.  But he also did a lot of shady things--he's not a "good" guy.  In the end his moral ambiguity which he employed to make a buck caused him to have to give it all up and as he said, live a quiet life and hopefully manage a retail establishment (or restaurant or whatever).  Its basically the opposite of what he worked his whole life for.  Like Walt, he lost it all.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'm not sure why you're gloating about figuring this out? It was mentioned that this was the genesis of the company name in episode 1.5 entitled "Gray Matter."

Walt and Skylar go to Elliot's birthday party, and while Walt is shooting the shit with some of Elliot's friends/colleagues this is mentioned...

Thank you!  So I didn't dream it... I was trying to remember the damn episode where that was touched on.  But was too lazy to Google it, or go find it.  Also, from listening to 515's podcast today... I think he is going to officially :poo: on Gray Matter Technologies.  It seemed like Bryan and Vince were hinting that - that wasn't going to be the last we saw of those two characters (Gretchen and Elliot).

Perhaps there is a darker secret on why Walt was just a Chemistry teacher?

Note: This thread is 3730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!