IGNORED

When Are You No Longer a Beginner?

Nail
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/29/2019 at 9:01 PM, Piz said:

You cease being a beginner when you meet one.

...and start giving him or her advice! 😁

I'd say you are no longer a beginner when you begin to have some idea of what you're doing out there. You know your yardages, so know what club to pull. You can read a green halfway decently, and have some idea of how hard to stroke the putt. 

It's also when you understand some of the etiquette of the game, and the rule book. You're not unduly holding up groups behind you through your poor play. Although I might have qualified as a beginner this past week when I absolutely butchered the 17th! If there had been a group behind us, I would have held them up. I hate doing that! I also hate being held up. 

I also think being interested in better equipment than what you currently have enters into it. It doesn't have to be brand new, just new to you. I have some new to me stuff in my bag. Bought the TM 3.4.5 Rescue hybrids off my buddy who couldn't hit them. I love them! Also traded him my TM A Wedge for his old Odyssey White Hot putter, which I absolutely love! He had the biggest Super Stroker grip on it which did not fit me. I had it re-gripped and am putting the best I ever have in my entire life! 

And as far as who tees off first. we've done the throw the tee in the air thing. Most times, if guys are hem-hawing around, I'll just step up and say, "I'll go first." Nobody ever minds. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/6/2019 at 10:05 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I have not heard that.  I'm thinking of trying an experiment with my friends.  To not jump up and tee off first.  I'll just linger to the side.  After about 5 minutes of inactivity the course marshal or starter will probably come up and inquire if we're waiting for our gallery to arrive or if rigor mortis has set in.

Well over here in tournaments the starting list is always in low hcp to high hcp so the starter will call the names in that order. 

So we also start that way in casual rounds. So we perceive it more like an honor and not something to be avoided. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to When Are You No Longer a Beginner?
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!