Nail

When Are You No Longer a Beginner?

20 posts / 1714 viewsLast Reply

On 6/29/2019 at 9:01 PM, Piz said:

You cease being a beginner when you meet one.

...and start giving him or her advice! 😁

I'd say you are no longer a beginner when you begin to have some idea of what you're doing out there. You know your yardages, so know what club to pull. You can read a green halfway decently, and have some idea of how hard to stroke the putt. 

It's also when you understand some of the etiquette of the game, and the rule book. You're not unduly holding up groups behind you through your poor play. Although I might have qualified as a beginner this past week when I absolutely butchered the 17th! If there had been a group behind us, I would have held them up. I hate doing that! I also hate being held up. 

I also think being interested in better equipment than what you currently have enters into it. It doesn't have to be brand new, just new to you. I have some new to me stuff in my bag. Bought the TM 3.4.5 Rescue hybrids off my buddy who couldn't hit them. I love them! Also traded him my TM A Wedge for his old Odyssey White Hot putter, which I absolutely love! He had the biggest Super Stroker grip on it which did not fit me. I had it re-gripped and am putting the best I ever have in my entire life! 

And as far as who tees off first. we've done the throw the tee in the air thing. Most times, if guys are hem-hawing around, I'll just step up and say, "I'll go first." Nobody ever minds. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

On 7/6/2019 at 10:05 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I have not heard that.  I'm thinking of trying an experiment with my friends.  To not jump up and tee off first.  I'll just linger to the side.  After about 5 minutes of inactivity the course marshal or starter will probably come up and inquire if we're waiting for our gallery to arrive or if rigor mortis has set in.

Well over here in tournaments the starting list is always in low hcp to high hcp so the starter will call the names in that order. 

So we also start that way in casual rounds. So we perceive it more like an honor and not something to be avoided. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2019 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • Speaking of 4:30 POP, if someone plays in five hours, that is fast, and if someone plays in three hours, that is slow. When you have had to deal with 6 hour rounds, 4:30 seems like a reasonable compromise. When I'm marshaling, it is not "recommended", it is the maximum allowed (in my  mind). 😁 In our case, there is some rhyme and reason to 4:30, but you'll have to follow me . . . .  Each of our first four sets of four holes has a par 3, a Par 5, and two Par 4s.  Bobby Clampett consulted on the course design, and the Par 3 are paced at 12 minutes, the Par 4s at 15 minutes, and the Par 5s at 18 minutes.  Figure that out and you will see the each set of four holes in 1 hour.  17 & 18 are Par 4s, so that's another 1/2 hour, and, Wallah!, 4:30. (PS:  I'm then only one left of the early employees who knows that.) It's really easy to marshal when you get that four-holes-an-hour ingrained in your brain, but it's amazing how many brains are not ingrainable. BTW, unless I'm really have a good round, if I'm stuck in a 4:30 round, I normally go in.  One day this year on the tenth tee I looked at the other guys and said, "Looks like rain.  Bye."  I'm sure it rained somewhere that day.
    • If you have administrator access, you can see the entire history, but the rest of the world can't.  I have access as my club's handicap committee chair, and the pro shop does as well, but that's all as far as I know.  Rank and file golfers can't go any further back than the 12 month history available in the phone app.  Apparently I can look up the complete history for anyone, as long as I know their name.  
    • Last week had two birdies.  Not sure which was the better shot, but here goes. 1) PW from about 110 or so and put it pin high within about 3 to 4 feet and make the putt. 2) nGIR, probably around 5-10 yards from the green.  Chip in for birdie
    • Wow!  Thanks! I've been on Internet forum for 20 years, and I can count on one hand how many times I've seen someone actually compliment someone for their comments. So, kudos to you. 😁
    • Hmm, I could of swore several years back I was in the Golf shop and our pro pulled my history. Maybe the MAGA Assoc. is different? I can check the next time at the club. I could be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time... 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. internal911price
      internal911price
      (37 years old)
    2. kamaaina1
      kamaaina1
      (58 years old)
    3. kenrooker
      kenrooker
      (76 years old)
    4. MSchad
      MSchad
      (57 years old)
    5. pchaney301
      pchaney301
      (32 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...