turtleback

Would Someone Playing Holes from 100 Yards Out Bother You?

45 posts / 2487 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

@turtleback is an experienced player so there would be no pace of play issues.  It is safe to say that he could join any of our groups with no issues.

Play on!

@bkuehn1952 I wish I could give you more "likes" than just the one. Well stated. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, David in FL said:

As long as you didn’t slow down the group you’re playing with, it wouldn’t bother me at all.

But, sadly, I don’t see how it couldn’t slow them down....

I wouldn't be a fifth player, so I don't really see how it would slow down the group.  Sure, slower than if I wasn't there, but how does it slow play down compared to me playing the full hole?  

16 hours ago, David in FL said:

You’re basically adding an extra approach shot to every par-4 and par-3.   As if someone duffed their first approach shot.

Probably not an enormous difference.  Probably quicker than adding another “full course” guy to the group too.  Unfortunately, a group following won’t understand that....

Hopefully any following group can count to 4?  I think you may have misread the plan.  It is either my son-in-law and I as a twosome, or playing with 2 other guys to make 4.  In my plan I'm not an EXTRA guy, I am in place of a 'full course's guy.  So I am not ADDING approach shots, I am SUBTRACTING tee shots and long (i.e., anything more than about 75 yards) approaches.  And will probably not spend any time searching for my ball.

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Again long as it doesn’t slow things up I’m fine with it.

But when everybody else is driving up to the Green and he’s dropping the ball 100 yards out…

and btw, @turtleback, good to hear that you’re finally back...at least partially!   :beer:

Why would they be driving up to the green when I drop and hit from 75 yards?  How is that slower than if I had just hit the ball from far away and was now playing my shot from there.

Please understand, I'm not trying to argue with you.  I have tons of respect for you and I take your comments seriously.  I'm just trying to understand HOW slowing the group could occur so I can avoid causing it, but I honestly do not see how dropping and playing in from 75 yards could be slower than playing the whole hole.

Thank you all for your responses.  I will have heightened awareness of any slow play issues, but I think I'm gonna give it a whirl.  My SinLaw and I are going to go to a range tomorrow so I can remember how to swing a club, then maybe go out on the counter next week.  I also figure it'll be the best chance I ever had/have of breaking 70.  LOL

Edited by turtleback

43 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Why would they be driving up to the green when I drop and hit from 75 yards?  How is that slower than if I had just hit the ball from far away and was now playing my shot from there.

Please understand, I'm not trying to argue with you.  I have tons of respect for you and I take your comments seriously.  I'm just trying to understand HOW slowing the group could occur so I can avoid causing it, but I honestly do not see how dropping and playing in from 75 yards could be slower than playing the whole hole.

Thank you all for your responses.  I will have heightened awareness of any slow play issues, but I think I'm gonna give it a whirl.  My SinLaw and I are going to go to a range tomorrow so I can remember how to swing a club, then maybe go out on the counter next week.  I also figure it'll be the best chance I ever had/have of breaking 70.  LOL

Have fun, and welcome back to golf!

Why would it bother anyone? I know when my Dad had to give up the game (for the most part), he would come along as a rider. Then he would drop a ball and use one of the couple of clubs of his that we put into my bag and play in from about 30-50 yards in. 

Welcome back.  I have a very specific opinion about any busybodies that would CHOOSE TO LET this bother them before they even get any details on what is happening.  screw 'em.  I doubt there a many like this out there, and, frankly, they are the ones that likely get wound up on all the other things that also is none of their business.  They probably even care what kind of watch you are wearing and if your shirt is tucked in (while leaving their butts and sunflower seeds scattered everywhere).

Congrats for finding a way to at least enjoy the game to the extent you can.  I'd talk to the clubhouse and see if they'd give you a discount, clearly you aren't playing your tee and long approach shots.

Edited by rehmwa

4 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Welcome back.  I have a very specific opinion about any busybodies that would CHOOSE TO LET this bother them before they even get any details on what is happening.  screw 'em.  I doubt there a many like this out there, and, frankly, they are the ones that likely get wound up on all the other things that also is none of their business.  They probably even care what kind of watch you are wearing and if your shirt is tucked in (while leaving their butts and sunflower seeds scattered everywhere).

Congrats for finding a way to at least enjoy the game to the extent you can.  I'd talk to the clubhouse and see if they'd give you a discount, clearly you aren't playing your tee and long approach shots.

I'm a pretty above-board kind of guy so I will certainly let the pro shop know what I am doing.  If they offered a discount I'd take it, but I wouldn't just ask for one.

And I appreciate those who expressed possible concerns, as it was all done in good faith.

12 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I'm a pretty above-board kind of guy so I will certainly let the pro shop know what I am doing.

Seems like honest communication would solve a lot of things.  We'd be a better society if people would pursue understanding before defaulting to outrage.  (🤔 if every sitcom ever written has taught us anything,,,)

(and I do understand the irony of me 'pre-outraging' over some hypthetical judge Smail's scenario in this post)

Edited by rehmwa

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

I'm a pretty above-board kind of guy so I will certainly let the pro shop know what I am doing.  If they offered a discount I'd take it, but I wouldn't just ask for one.

And I appreciate those who expressed possible concerns, as it was all done in good faith.

Have fun and tell us how it went.

3 hours ago, turtleback said:

The more I think about it, the more I think that there’s less chance of slowing things down than I initially thought.  Especially for someone who is clearly concerned about the possibility!

And I’m genuinely happy that you’re getting back out there, regardless of how you do it!

Welcome back my friend.  And guess what I'm playing on Wednesday?  A friend of mine is coming back to golf from a surgery.  His doctor finally gave him permission to hit full swings, but cautioned him not to play a full round.  With his doctor's permission, he's going to drop at 150 yards to the green and play in from there.  The other three of us are going to play a normal round.  He'll help look for errant balls, but tee to 150 he won't be hitting.  

I'm happy he's joining us, and if I saw this in the group ahead of me, I'd assume it's the same thing.

Welcome back to golf.

Surely doesn’t bother me. You could even get creative with where you drop the ball on each hole maintain some strategic interest in the game. I hope you get back out there man. 

I see many members play with their children in this manner.
Either early morning or late evenings.

Most of the time, they will step aside and wave fast players approaching them play through.
Not comparing your situation turtleback to juniors, just reflecting on the situation of playing it forward, per say.

Have fun and do not get upset if anyone gripes.

It would not bother me.  Go out and enjoy as much golf as you can.  

If you are de 5th player not cool. If you are the 4th it´s ok. 

More power to you and congrats on even a limited return to the game!

On 6/30/2019 at 12:14 PM, turtleback said:

I haven't been able to play golf for a couple of years due to physical infirmities.  I probably won't ever be able to play full blown golf again.  But I still get the itch.  I'm pretty sure I could handle pitch and putt since the stroke is much gentler.  Unfortunately we have no pitch and putt course anywhere near.

So I'm thinking of doing my own version.  I'd go out with my son-in-law to a local course and pay the full regular greens fee.  But I would just ride along with him until we got to within 50-75 yards.  Then I would drop a ball and play the rest of the hole in the normal manner.

So my question is, if you saw someone doing this would it bother, irritate, or annoy you? 

I can't imagine why this would  bother anyone.