Jump to content
Keysbear152

I need a scond opinion on my driver settings

10 posts / 952 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I have a Cobra Fly-Z driver that has adjustable lofts between 9-12 degrees with draw settings available a the 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5 lofts. I have had it for about 6 months and I was not fitted for it. I got it used on eBay. I was having difficulties getting the right setting dialed in so I went to a Dick's Sporting goods to get a "fitting". Well sort of a fitting. Just looking for some help. Anyway the guy seemed knowledgable but told me some things that I would like to get some opinions on. I had been playing the driver at the 10.5 degree draw setting. According to the trackman my swing speed ranged from 82-86 (I'm 63 years old btw}. He said that I didn't need to go to a senior flex shaft just yet. I was getting a low trajectory and hitting offline to the left. We changed the loft setting to the 11.5 degree loft without the draw setting. That seemed to be better. Then he said something that I really didn't quite understand hence my looking for thoughts here. He said that although he didn't think I was ready for a senior flex he thought that my shaft may be a bit too heavy for me. The shaft on it is 85 grams and he said I should consider something around 55 grams. I am a novice when it comes knowledge of shaft weights, swing weights etc so any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. I played today and hit it pretty well at the 11.5 setting. Averaged around 185-195 with a couple in the 220-225  range with reasonable accuracy. Would the shaft weight really make a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

16 minutes ago, Keysbear152 said:

I have a Cobra Fly-Z driver that has adjustable lofts between 9-12 degrees with draw settings available a the 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5 lofts. I have had it for about 6 months and I was not fitted for it. I got it used on eBay. I was having difficulties getting the right setting dialed in so I went to a Dick's Sporting goods to get a "fitting". Well sort of a fitting. Just looking for some help. Anyway the guy seemed knowledgable but told me some things that I would like to get some opinions on. I had been playing the driver at the 10.5 degree draw setting. According to the trackman my swing speed ranged from 82-86 (I'm 63 years old btw}. He said that I didn't need to go to a senior flex shaft just yet. I was getting a low trajectory and hitting offline to the left. We changed the loft setting to the 11.5 degree loft without the draw setting. That seemed to be better. Then he said something that I really didn't quite understand hence my looking for thoughts here. He said that although he didn't think I was ready for a senior flex he thought that my shaft may be a bit too heavy for me. The shaft on it is 85 grams and he said I should consider something around 55 grams. I am a novice when it comes knowledge of shaft weights, swing weights etc so any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. I played today and hit it pretty well at the 11.5 setting. Averaged around 185-195 with a couple in the 220-225  range with reasonable accuracy. Would the shaft weight really make a difference?

Maybe. People react to the weight differently. For some, the lighter shaft will give more speed and an ability to sense where the head is throughout the swing. Take the driver in and try out some different shafts. Hit on a good launch monitor and note your ball speed, launch angle, etc. shoot for a descent angle about 40* to get good carry and rollout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could pick up a 55 gram regular flex shaft with the adapter on eBay for around $25-$35.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have an 85 gram shaft in your driver? What shaft is in it? I will go ahead and say not knowing anything about your game or swing, that is way to heavy. I could only think of a couple PGA pros using a shaft that heavy. Don't know if you need/want to go down to 55g but definitely 65g at least would benefit you based on your distances you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Adam C said:

You have an 85 gram shaft in your driver? What shaft is in it? I will go ahead and say not knowing anything about your game or swing, that is way to heavy. I could only think of a couple PGA pros using a shaft that heavy. Don't know if you need/want to go down to 55g but definitely 65g at least would benefit you based on your distances you mentioned.

The Shaft says "VLCT -SP  regular flex +85". I assumed 85 was the shaft weight but maybe I'm mistaken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an aftermarket Matrix shaft. 85 is actually not the weight. That is the flex designation on these shafts. I think these shafts sold pretty poorly, and that numbering system probably didn't help. 85 is basically the swing speed recommendation for that shaft. They go from 75 up to 115 which equals light up to XX flex. So 85 would be the R flex. They do come in different weights and that number should be printed somewhere on the main graphics section in a small font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Adam C said:

That's an aftermarket Matrix shaft. 85 is actually not the weight. That is the flex designation on these shafts. I think these shafts sold pretty poorly, and that numbering system probably didn't help. 85 is basically the swing speed recommendation for that shaft. They go from 75 up to 115 which equals light up to XX flex. So 85 would be the R flex. They do come in different weights and that number should be printed somewhere on the main graphics section in a small font.

Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find a weight # anywhere on the shaft but if it is for 85 swing speed it is probably fine for me since the monitor had me between 82-86 swing speed on all shots. I was hitting it well enough during my last round so I guess I'll leave well enough alone. At my age if I can get it out there around 200 yards and in play I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not ever hit one, and I know they did not sell well, but Matrix made many great high end shafts that just usually flew under the radar, probably why they closed shop. If it works for you keep it, it's a quality shaft as good as any of the $300 aftermarkets out today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Adam C said:

I have not ever hit one, and I know they did not sell well, but Matrix made many great high end shafts that just usually flew under the radar, probably why they closed shop. If it works for you keep it, it's a quality shaft as good as any of the $300 aftermarkets out today.

Will do. Again thanks for your input. I learned a lot today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Adam C said:

I have not ever hit one, and I know they did not sell well, but Matrix made many great high end shafts that just usually flew under the radar, probably why they closed shop. If it works for you keep it, it's a quality shaft as good as any of the $300 aftermarkets out today.

Yes Matrix Radix SV in my Cleveland driver is lightweight, per Cleveland's philosophy that lighter weight equates to more speed for slow swingers like me. Best, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • What constitutes practice?   I work from home and am in charge of my own schedule which leaves me plenty of time throughout the day for "activities".  The city offered a membership to 4 of the local courses for $65 a month, unlimited play so I picked it up.  Right now I'm playing 9 four days a week and 18 once a week. While I'm definitely seeing improvement, especially when it comes to club selection and judging distance, there are areas where I'm still struggling.  I tend the view the 9 hole days as practice rounds, but should I be doing other things as well?   I'm pretty consistent at being on or within about 5 to 10 yards off the green for my 3rd shot on a par 4.  But 95% of the time I'm 3 putting and ending up double bogey by inches.  I work on putting around the house, but it's a totally different beast on the course.  And I've seen huge improvements from when I started till now so I do feel that playing everyday during the week is helping, but instead should I go spend an hour or so on a practice green?   Thanks in advance!
    • The Virtues is the former Longaberger. Usually #1 in the state. Fantastic place. Stonelick Hill outside Cincy is phenomenal. The owner is a restaurant owner who didn't like the stuffiness of a club he joined, so he bought land, hired an architect and started his own. Little Mountain is good but gets a lot of play so it's not always pristine. I think The Quarry is much better than Boulder Creek. Management and the "pro" are extremely rude at Boulder as well. If you've never done the 9 Stars of Golf package with Eagle Sticks and The Virtues, grab your buddies and a weekend and get it done. They are 45 min apart. 
    • Translation: "I have nothing to actually say, so I'm going to go ad hominem and attack the person who isn't just blindly accepting my 'premier ball flight dynamics' talk instead." If I "lorded over" anything here, I'd probably just stop you from posting. We wouldn't even have this topic. Instead, I ask you questions, engage in discussions with you (or attempt to, if you weren't busy ducking out of them at any opportunity), and actively give away a bunch of my own information and help people here on the forum play better golf. You, from my perspective, just come on now and then, throw a few things out there about how great your "swing" is, and then when challenged, find new and creative ways to duck out. 🤦‍♂️ Dude, I do that too. This has nothing to do with "peace." I… wait for it… disagree with the statements you've made about golf. And I've asked you to prove or clarify or at least discuss some of them. That's it.
    • Or, "Give par a chance".  That's all I am saying.
    • I had a roller-coaster adventure for about eight years trying to find a hybrid that I really liked. I tried a brand X hybrid for $20 from a coupon my brother won at a scramble... Tried the TM Raylor (early 2000s version... Then had the Adams V4 in 3H and 4H. V4 worked fine for a year, until my swing got stronger and the offset face started delivering left misses. Anyway, I went into a local golf shop during August sales and the fitter set me up with the Cobra FlyZ 4H in a 73-gram A-flex shaft! It just worked, and I got the FlyZ 3H a few months later. These non-SGI hybrids have a square face, and slightly heavier stock shafts than most midlines. Unless your BioCells create a gapping problem, why not keep them awhile?   Sounds like you found things similar to what I did. If some better hybrid shows up in spring demo days, then add it. Until then, why not just play the BioCells which work for you? Remember, the perfect can be the enemy of the very good...
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Nevsteve
      Nevsteve
      (60 years old)
    2. Pab4141
      Pab4141
      (26 years old)
    3. rdpoffenberger
      rdpoffenberger
      (34 years old)
    4. Salem Golfer
      Salem Golfer
      (54 years old)
    5. stothemc
      stothemc
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...