Jump to content
cdutra40

I've Been Playing Since I Was 12...19 Now.. And Have Never Hit a Birdie

46 posts / 2550 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Okay guys so I'm new to TST and read that most people on here are pretty nice and give good advice. So here goes my post. Since its my first post I'll give a bit of background as well. 

 

This is my 7th golf season. As I have progressed my scores have gotten consistently and significantly lower. I was a 100-105 when first starting, now I'm pretty consistently below 95 (on a decent day of course). My driver still slices, which is a topic in of itself.  I just bought my first set of truly new irons (Cobra Fmax irons) and before that I had hand me down muscle back irons from the early 2000s.. My reason for this post is, I want to know what I'm doing wrong because I have never hit a birdie. I've had rounds where I hit bogey golf a whole round with the occasional double or occasional par. Even though I have averaged 4-6 GIRs a round but still 2 or 3 putt. Speed is there but I can't seem to read a green. I have had opportunities shouting in my face waiting to be drained and I'll push it. The straightest putt ever... pushed or pulled or not enough or too much speed. Is it the confidence? Is it swing thoughts before I set up at a putt? I'd like to know the same for my driver as well. 7/10 times it will slice or fade right quite a bit. but the other 3 will go right down the fairway. Even though I've changed nothing with the stance or swing. 

 

Sorry about all the info. I just feel like I haven't improved the parts of the game that mean it most and am feeling disappointed that 7 years later I have yet to hit 1 singular birdie.

 

Thanks for whatever help you guys could give me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

It’ll come.

When you least expect it, the hole can get in the way!  

Welcome to TST!  :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Usually I’d say to work on ballstriking but it in this case if you are hitting GIRs then I would do a bit of putting practice. 

I really wouldn’t worry though, it will come

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am... well, nevermind how old I am, but I've been playing for 23 years. I have only hit one birdie. I tee'd off on #18 and the stupid thing swooped down right into the path of my ball. It made that par 5 very long. Stupid bird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm with Dave, it will come.
But let me ask - are you able to make some par putts of decent length, say 15 ft or longer? If so then you have the ability to make that same putt for a birdie: I do see how that would be frustrating because, depending on how often you play, it would seem like you'd get one to fall with 4-6 cracks at it per round.

Good luck - don't focus on it, have those shots just be another putt & 1 will fall; hopefully it will break open the flood gates of getting 1 or 2 per round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Birdies are a pretty rare thing for me as well. 

One thing that might make a difference may be course and/or tee selection. There are definitely certain courses (normally of the short and wide-open variety) that will yield more birdie chances than others. 

If you haven't already, pick out the gentlest course in your area and see if  you can get that birdie. Also try moving up a tee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm with Dave, it will come.
But let me ask - are you able to make some par putts of decent length, say 15 ft or longer? If so then you have the ability to make that same putt for a birdie: I do see how that would be frustrating because, depending on how often you play, it would seem like you'd get one to fall with 4-6 cracks at it per round.

Good luck - don't focus on it, have those shots just be another putt & 1 will fall; hopefully it will break open the flood gates of getting 1 or 2 per round

I have gotten the speed part of my putting to the point where I rarely 3 putt but I always 2 putt. The only time I've really hit a putt from far away was one time I was putting for bogey, was annoyed at that fact and just walked up to the ball and hitting it. Like really? It was around a 25' putt. Something well beyond my range. Golf gods just wanted it to go in I guess because I wouldn't be able to that 100 more times if I tried. haha

29 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Birdies are a pretty rare thing for me as well. 

One thing that might make a difference may be course and/or tee selection. There are definitely certain courses (normally of the short and wide-open variety) that will yield more birdie chances than others. 

If you haven't already, pick out the gentlest course in your area and see if  you can get that birdie. Also try moving up a tee.

So, my friend is a member at a tough course in Rhode Island and works at a pretty tough course in Mass. therefore I get nearly free golf at these places making it more worth while to go there rather than an easier course near me. (the discount is that much) I play the tips at the course he works at but the tips are only 10 yards behind the mens. However at his country club I do hit from the mens. I plan on playing an easier course today actually. The course my golf "career" started at if you will.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tough courses are going to make it tougher. Struggling off the tee will make them even harder. I started playing golf at 13. I made my first birdie at 17 in my senior year in HS, but only because I chipped it in. I actually made a couple eagles this way as well. I never putted for a birdie until well into my 20's...I just wasn't good enough with the long game to give myself many chances. I practiced my short game like mad all through high school (it was easier and faster than improving the long game - but the long game is the key to improving long term), so I managed to shoot decent scores because I could get up and down from just about anywhere within 40yds out. But ballstriking and tee to green is where you will see the most improvement in your chance at scoring under par. I routinely have putts for birdie every time I play now, because I hit fairways and greens in regulation at least as often as I miss them during a round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JeepXJ98 said:

Tough courses are going to make it tougher. Struggling off the tee will make them even harder. I started playing golf at 13. I made my first birdie at 17 in my senior year in HS, but only because I chipped it in. I actually made a couple eagles this way as well. I never putted for a birdie until well into my 20's...I just wasn't good enough with the long game to give myself many chances. I practiced my short game like mad all through high school (it was easier and faster than improving the long game - but the long game is the key to improving long term), so I managed to shoot decent scores because I could get up and down from just about anywhere within 40yds out. But ballstriking and tee to green is where you will see the most improvement in your chance at scoring under par. I routinely have putts for birdie every time I play now, because I hit fairways and greens in regulation at least as often as I miss them during a round. 

Thanks! Yeah the courses are a little tough but I feel like playing them every week is making me better in some ways because I'm starting to know the track really well. Its funny you say that you chipped in for birdie for your first one and I'm starting to think that's the way its going to happen to me. I've almost holed out for eagle from 120 yards out. Line up for the nice straight 6' birdie putt, and pushed it, wasn't even close. I think it might be the jitters I get about the fact that this putt could be that putt I've been looking for.

 

I have said to my friends that I play with almost every round. "If I get a birdie today, I don't care if I shot a 120, because I got a birdie"

 

Thank you for the insight I appreciate it! Any metals are not my strongsuit but I can pinpoint my irons and just don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first birdie was a chip in as well. 17th hole at Bethpage black of all places... But to be playing that long without a birdie is pretty remarkable.  And im not sure about what advice to give except maybe stop trying to get one.. You'd figure you run into one by accident by now. You must have horrible luck 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

My first birdie was a chip in as well. 17th hole at Bethpage black of all places... But to be playing that long without a birdie is pretty remarkable.  And im not sure about what advice to give except maybe stop trying to get one.. You'd figure you run into one by accident by now. You must have horrible luck 😂

My friend (who is an 11 handicap) is quite impressed at the fact I can play well enough to score low but not get birdies too. I bet bethpage was a blast. My friend (same friend) and I plan on playing it this summer before we head back to our respective colleges. Must've been fun to be there! Maybe some advice to be able to get out there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like your first par, as you keep improving your first birdie will come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, cdutra40 said:

My friend (who is an 11 handicap) is quite impressed at the fact I can play well enough to score low but not get birdies too. I bet bethpage was a blast. My friend (same friend) and I plan on playing it this summer before we head back to our respective colleges. Must've been fun to be there! Maybe some advice to be able to get out there?

 

If failure can be impressive then i guess thats it. 

I grew up playing there - it wasn't as much of a big thing back then as it is now. At your index my advice would be to play is to play the forward tees if you're set on playing the black. Who cares what other people think. More of the course is in front of you and you'll enjoy the round alot more. Also, its a walking only course. So be prepared for that if its a hot day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

If failure can be impressive then i guess thats it. 

I grew up playing there - it wasn't as much of a big thing back then as it is now. At your index my advice would be to play is to play the forward tees if you're set on playing the black. Who cares what other people think. More of the course is in front of you and you'll enjoy the round alot more. Also, its a walking only course. So be prepared for that if its a hot day. 

Haha thank you I'll keep that in mind but yeah the walking only thing is our only and planning to go in august is the only deterrent we have. 

Appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what happens when you have a 1 yard putt for par? If you miss them a lot (lets say more then 60%), you have a glaring weekness putting. Might be because of lining up or yips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

So what happens when you have a 1 yard putt for par? If you miss them a lot (lets say more then 60%), you have a glaring weekness putting. Might be because of lining up or yips.

Right now in my past 3 rounds I have been automatic with 4' and in. Start stepping outside 6' and its not as on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just remember - when it happens, act like you been there before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...