IGNORED

Marker Doesn't Sign Card: Who Is in the Wrong?

Nail
Note: This thread is 1756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Where I live, you check the result first. Then the marker signs and gives the card back. This might differ for the USA, but thats how it works here in Spain. Played many tournaments over here. So yes, I will point a finger. Skunky move by the marker who knows this is possibly the best card (relative to handicap) the player ever carded. I would be rooting for him, if I was the marker. I would make sure my part would be done for sure.

What complete and utter nonsense. First of all, 42 points will rarely guarantee a win in a stableford competition in a grade where there are guys playing off 20..

Secondly - where is the "Skunky move"? That would be the case if the marker submitted the card before giving it to the player to check and sign.

Thirdly, when I have a decent score I check signatures several times - almost to an obsessive degree - and so should everybody.

There is not one single iota of blame upon anyone but the player. 

I'll tell you how this sort of stuff usually happens: A player gives an ALREADY SIGNED card to his marker on the first or second tee. The marker marks it, doesn't sign it and submits it. The player has stupidly assumed that the marker signed it.

There are absolutely no grey areas in the OP's dilemma in this thread. He is 100% wrong. What I find disturbing is tat the the player thought it wasn't his fault. On what possible basis?

1 hour ago, Nail said:

He still got cut two strokes though lol so he is now off 18 and he got no prize for his efforts 😂

Why? It shoud have been a DQ.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

4 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I don't know the CONGU rules, but in the USGA areas, a player's score is still submitted for handicap in most situations where a DQ is warranted.  And with the "ratchet" system that CONGU uses, I could see his handicap being reduced by 2 strokes with such a good score.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't know the CONGU rules, but in the USGA areas, a player's score is still submitted for handicap in most situations where a DQ is warranted.  And with the "ratchet" system that CONGU uses, I could see his handicap being reduced by 2 strokes with such a good score.

You are probably right -  I think this is to prevent people from manipulating their handicaps. An NCR can result in a handicap going down for low markers.

23 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What complete and utter nonsense. First of all, 42 points will rarely guarantee a win in a stableford competition in a grade where there are guys playing off 20..

Secondly - where is the "Skunky move"? That would be the case if the marker submitted the card before giving it to the player to check and sign.

Thirdly, when I have a decent score I check signatures several times - almost to an obsessive degree - and so should everybody.

There is not one single iota of blame upon anyone but the player. 

I'll tell you how this sort of stuff usually happens: A player gives an ALREADY SIGNED card to his marker on the first or second tee. The marker marks it, doesn't sign it and submits it. The player has stupidly assumed that the marker signed it.

There are absolutely no grey areas in the OP's dilemma in this thread. He is 100% wrong. What I find disturbing is tat the the player thought it wasn't his fault. On what possible basis?

It was a DQ but the club still cut him, I assume because he played to a certain standard shooting an 85 so they cut him.

btw I’m the OP but not the player or the marker. I’d never make the mistake to not get a good score signed

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Ya I think he was off 19.9 before and he shot 5 points over the competition standard scratch for the day so (5 x 0.3) 1.5 off his handicap is 18.4 so playing handicap goes from 20 to 18. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Marker Doesn't Sign Card: Who Is in the Wrong?
Note: This thread is 1756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!