Jump to content
jamo

Ball Snaps 150-Yard Stake

17 posts / 1027 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

IMG_7327.jpeg

This happened during a round I played on Saturday. I was playing with my dad and a random guy we were paired up with (Evan).

Evan is about 160 yards from the hole, but thins an iron pretty bad. We're standing about even with the 150 stake, 20 yards left or so, and we hear a loud BANG as his ball splinters the stake. It hit just above the ground, shattering the PVC pipe. The shrapnel blast radius was about 10 yards. 

The bottom of the top couple feet was sharp, so I stuck it back in the ground so groups behind us still had some of a stake (that's what you see in the picture above).

I've seen people hit tee markets, but never a yardage stake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 minutes ago, jamo said:

I've seen people hit tee markets, but never a yardage stake. 

Same here, although someone in my group a few days ago said I came within inches of the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Usually those are removable. Was that one @jamo?

It was, yeah. He was a good 10 (honestly probably even more) yards back though. I don't think it even crossed his mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, jamo said:

It was, yeah. He was a good 10 (honestly probably even more) yards back though. I don't think it even crossed his mind. 

He should’ve tried to hit it..then he’d been guaranteed not to.

Edited by Vinsk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I worked at a cheaper public course last year and you’d be shocked at how many we had to replace because of that.. A couple times people drove straight into them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, freshmanUTA said:

I worked at a cheaper public course last year and you’d be shocked at how many we had to replace because of that.. A couple times people drove straight into them....

Wait... with a cart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A few years ago, I hit one on the fly on a par-4 with my drive. Ball went 90° right all the way out of bounds!  :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, jamo said:

IMG_7327.jpeg

This happened during a round I played on Saturday. I was playing with my dad and a random guy we were paired up with (Evan).

Evan is about 160 yards from the hole, but thins an iron pretty bad. We're standing about even with the 150 stake, 20 yards left or so, and we hear a loud BANG as his ball splinters the stake. It hit just above the ground, shattering the PVC pipe. The shrapnel blast radius was about 10 yards. 

The bottom of the top couple feet was sharp, so I stuck it back in the ground so groups behind us still had some of a stake (that's what you see in the picture above).

I've seen people hit tee markets, but never a yardage stake. 

I’ve done this about 10 years ago. I was about 20 yards back and to the right, but did a low pull. The marker didn’t break though and my ball careened left out of play.😄 I pull it always now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At a USKIDS tournament, 11 year old girls, the girl my daughter was playing with hit one with a 3W stinger and shattered it into pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm at work.  And that is a beautiful fairway. 

...sigh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have removed them when they were in my way. Then replaced them after my shot. 

Ironically the only time I saw a marker get busted up, was when a worker mowing fairway had a brain fart, and drove over it. 

Just a little embarrassed he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I...

I...

... have shattered a 150 yard stake in precisely the manner in which you have described.

🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend did this years ago. He suggested that he should be able to replay without penalty. I explained that this was ROG and that he should have removed the marker. He was not happy.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, freshmanUTA said:

I worked at a cheaper public course last year and you’d be shocked at how many we had to replace because of that.. A couple times people drove straight into them....

 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, Shindig said:

Wait... with a cart?

 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Yeah!

happy hour drinking GIF

And there you have... the rest of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Hey, @Big C, remember the time you bounced a drive squarely off the TOP of the 100 yard marker at mile square Classic #11?

I do remember that! We all saw the ball take this crazy bounce left - seemingly out of thin air. It wasn't until I found the ball with a huge red paint stain on it that I realized what had happened. That was the first and last time I had ever seen that. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...