IGNORED

How to Manage the Heat?

criley4way
Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One thing is that while the ambient temp can be 90 F it can be over 100 in the sun on the fairway. I will always take a cart on a hot day. 

A moist towel to drape around your neck helps too. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wide brim Greg Norman straw hat. It has good air flow. Sunscreen. Water or Gatorade. Long pants, thin socks, and Izod Golf shirts that seem to work pretty well in the heat. Earlier tee times in the summer. Tomorrow is 8:22. Our twilight starts at 10:45 am now but that's a little too late for me. 

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Long story short, Tony's electrolytes were all messed up due to body fluid loss. His brain just wouldn't work properly! 

I don't want to diminish your friend's trying event, but I wonder if some poor decisions on the golf course can be attributed to this too.  Just yet another motivation to hydrate well.

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I purchased some cheap arm sleeves and can't believe the difference they make.   They almost have a cooling feeling and I've actually applied water which almost adds another dimension to cooling.   I'm a believer 

I get so many people asking me if I'm not too hot wearing those on my arms.  I have trouble explaining that no, I'm cooler in them than without.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

21 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I want to warn you that South Florida summers are not like what most Americans identify as "hot".  There are so many northerners who visit here in the winter and tell us that it gets "just as hot" wherever they are from.  This is because they are looking at a number and not actually spending the summer here.  

Surely there are probably fewer breaks in your summer weather than what we have in Ohio, but we also get strings of 90-plus temperatures with 90-plus humidity.

Walked 18 both days this weekend and was sweat-soaked to my undershorts both days. 

Damn shame that we finally got a bit of a break today and it's back to work.

17 hours ago, Patch said:

I have read that the sodium content in powerade is pretty high. I have been advised by my doc to not us this drink because of the high sodium.

Can you tell me why?

The link between sodium and high blood pressure has been debunked: 

salt-shaker.jpg?quality=85&w=1200&h=628&

Sodium has long been labeled the blood-pressure bogeyman. But are we giving salt a fair shake? A new study published in the American Journal of...

On the other hand, low salt levels are linked to things like cramps, mental confusion and irregular heart beat. Sweating depletes your electrolytes (of which salt is one). I have bouts of AFib, and I've been told by my doctor to absolutely not allow my electrolyte levels (including salt) to go low.

35 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Damn shame that we finally got a bit of a break today and it's back to work.

That's Ohio for you. When we do get nice weather, it's usually during the work week.

• Like 1

- Shane

drink more beer.

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

20 hours ago, Shindig said:

I don't want to diminish your friend's trying event, but I wonder if some poor decisions on the golf course can be attributed to this too.  Just yet another motivation to hydrate well.

I get so many people asking me if I'm not too hot wearing those on my arms.  I have trouble explaining that no, I'm cooler in them than without.

A white article of clothing will reflect more sunlight than skin tone. A buddy of mine used to work construction. He told how the young bucks, usually laborers, would show up at a job site in shorts, and, as soon as the sun got hot, would peel off their shirts to get a nice tan and look all buff! Meanwhile, the old timers wore light colored, long sleeved shirts with collars turned up, long pants and hats! My buddy asked one of them why. The old timer replied, "Hell! That sun will kill you boy!" 

I think you have a real point in your first comment. Last week, a buddy and I went to play Windmill Lakes here in NE Ohio. It's in a little town called Ravenna, and is kind of a destination course. It was designed by Edward Ault back in the 70's, and is no pushover! I had a really nice round going until a couple of poor decisions caused me to absolutely butcher the 17th hole. 

Despite my efforts at hydration my legs were getting pretty wobbly by then, and I think the wobbliness went to my brain! I managed to pull it together enough to finish the hole decently. Had to make an 8-10 footer to save quadruple bogey! Played the 18th decently. I think the heat can make your brain foggy and cause you not to think straight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

A white article of clothing will reflect more sunlight than skin tone. A buddy of mine used to work construction. He told how the young bucks, usually laborers, would show up at a job site in shorts, and, as soon as the sun got hot, would peel off their shirts to get a nice tan and look all buff! Meanwhile, the old timers wore light colored, long sleeved shirts with collars turned up, long pants and hats! My buddy asked one of them why. The old timer replied, "Hell! That sun will kill you boy!" 

Now I'm feeling possibly stupid:  for sun safety, is light clothing better than dark?  I thought dark would keep more sun from my skin, at the cost of feeling hotter.

If light clothing is the better, I'm going to go get another pair of white solar sleeves tomorrow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The more light the object absorbs, the more heat absorbed since light is energy. If you consider it a color, black absorbs the most heat. A black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and reflects none. Objects that are white, on the other hand,reflect all wavelengths of light and therefore absorb the least heat.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Remember, folks, white or black clothing is irrelevant. It's an old myth that you should wear white clothing in the summer. It's not true. Do some research or searching or something on the topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Remember, folks, white or black clothing is irrelevant. It's an old myth that you should wear white clothing in the summer. It's not true.

Maybe off topic, but in the electric utility world, conductors are coated black because it helps the conductor loose the heat it's producing faster. This may be due more that conductors can run upwards of 300+ degrees depending on the conductor type.

Overhead conductors with a black surface have been developed in order to optimise the operational behaviour and the continuous current carrying capacity. 

The black conductor surface causes an improvement in the heat emission, meaning that the conductor stays significantly cooler for a given transfer performance or, conversely, more energy can be transferred at a given conductor temperature.

I never particularly noticed that the color of the clothing mattered much. What tends to mater more is wearing something that allows air flow (if you are lucky enough to get a breeze).

light-colored-clothes-1200x800.jpg

Do light colors actually keep you cooler in hot weather, as some say? Read on to find out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Remember, folks, white or black clothing is irrelevant. It's an old myth that you should wear white clothing in the summer. It's not true. Do some research or searching or something on the topic.

I did some very quick Googling, nothing thorough, but then again, my previous understanding was based on zero research, so this is a step up.  And it seems there are some credible sources saying that dark clothing can help keep me cooler in summer.  This is particularly welcome news as two of my favorite golf shirts are dark (one dark blue, the other black) and it sounds like this means I can wear them in the summer.

Now I need to look into if there is a difference for sun safety.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Great suggestions everyone.  I love to walk but sometimes will ride if the heat index is above 100, which it will be for the next several weeks.  I do a lot of these things but Saturday will bring out the umbrella and will drink even when not thirsty to see if it helps and hope to keep walking.

FWIW - if you feel dizzy it is likely dehydration so stop immediately and get shelter.  Has happened only once to me (knock on wood) and one of the few times I have ever walked off a course early.

22 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I did some very quick Googling, nothing thorough, but then again, my previous understanding was based on zero research, so this is a step up.  And it seems there are some credible sources saying that dark clothing can help keep me cooler in summer.  This is particularly welcome news as two of my favorite golf shirts are dark (one dark blue, the other black) and it sounds like this means I can wear them in the summer.

Now I need to look into if there is a difference for sun safety.  

White reflects energy. Black obsorbs enegy. What folks forget about is one's body also produces heat. They tend to only think about reflecting sun's energy, which lighter colors do better than darker colors. 

When it comes the the heat the body is manufacturing, light colors reflect that heat back into the body. Darker colors absorb more body heat. 

Then again color is only part of it. You also want to wear a fabric that dissipates that body heat fasters. Some fabrics act like a glove holding in the heat. Other fabrics "breathe" the heat a way from the body faster.

I wear lighter colored cotton fabric long sleeve shirts,  The lighter color reflects the sun's energy, while at the same time, is dissipating the energy my body produces faster. Add in my body sweat, with the more breathable fabric, and I get a better cooling effect on my body surface due to the evaporation process.  At least this is the way I understand the process. 

• Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 minutes ago, Patch said:

When it comes the the heat the body is manufacturing, light colors reflect that heat back into the body. Darker colors absorb more body heat. 

I don't know about you but the area under my light-colored golf shirt and light-colored golf slacks is shady and dark.  My skin doesn't see it as light in nature from that side.😊

Im a walker. So If the heat index is 95F or more, i just don't play. Its not just uncomfortable, its dangerous.

But if i have to (tournament or rather) i constantly hydrate. I'll have two 24 oz workout water bottles in my bag and I keep them constantly filled. If you're thirsty, its too late. If the course has ice water out ill wet my towel at each station and drape it around my neck as i walk. Keep another dry towel to in to keep my hands dry. I also try to have at least 3 gloves to rotate every three holes. Stick the others on the outside of the bag to get some air through them. 

For apparel, i just try to get as light as possible. Most modern golf gear is light and water wicking already, but ive found the stuff with little holes in them keep me the driest. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 7/7/2019 at 9:52 PM, dennyjones said:

I purchased some cheap arm sleeves and can't believe the difference they make.   They almost have a cooling feeling and I've actually applied water which almost adds another dimension to cooling.   I'm a believer 

which brand?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!