TN94z

In the Market for a New MacBook

6 posts / 210 viewsLast Reply

With my wife starting back to school, me starting back to school in the fall, and I am starting a new side job, I will be in need of a new laptop. I obviously want another Macbook, but wanted to know where to draw the line on the Air and step into a Pro. I have had a Pro in the past and really liked it but they are pricey. I like the price of the Air and the size/weight. But I also like the touch bar and the doubled storage of the Pro. Battery life looks to be a bit better on the Air versus the Pro with touch bar.

What pushes you to the Pro over the Air?  Photo/video editing? Resolution??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

@iacas and @nevets88 are very knowledgeable with Apple products.

The club is where I posted the thread 

5 hours ago, TN94z said:

The club is where I posted the thread 

🙂

I think that if you can afford the Pro, go Pro. It'll last longer, it's thin and light on its own merits, etc.

Especially for, what, $200?

Apple today updated MacBook Air, adding True Tone to its Retina display for a more natural viewing experience, and lowering the price to $1,099, with an even lower price of $999 for college students. In addition, the entry-level $1,299 13-inch MacBook Pro has been updated with the latest 8th-generation quad-core processors, making it two times more powerful than before. It also now features Touch Bar and Touch ID, a True Tone Retina display and the Apple T2 Security Chip, and is available for $1,199 for college students.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

🙂

I think that if you can afford the Pro, go Pro. It'll last longer, it's thin and light on its own merits, etc.

Especially for, what, $200?

Very true. I could get the college discount as well with my wife in school. I haven't checked into that portion but do you have to buy from Apple to get the student discount? The plan is to pick one up during our tax free weekend at the end of this month.

I dunno. I think that in the past, stores like Best Buy have had college pricing too.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2019 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • Hi All! I started really making an effort to improve my game this summer. Took a couple of lessons and really started to make good contact with the irons and stop pulling the ball. Getting confident there. Now, I'm having a crazy issue with the driver.  The last time I was hitting my driver straight-ish, I had the ball way farther back in my stance than seemed natural for a driver, basically in the middle of my stance. The ball would be low but for the most part straight. I moved the ball forward in my stance, and all hell has broken loose. Now every shot with the driver is a hard, low-arcing hook that starts way left and stays way left. My swing with the driver doesn't feel comfortable at all. I'm going to take another lesson and ask about it, but I was wondering if any of you had had a similar experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Actually he did. They have two of the booths with the screens that show your ball flight and all the numbers they use. He had some other electronic device he was using behind me. This place is a really nice golf course with 27 holes, plus a really nice practice facility. They are supposed to be the best in Wisconsin for club fitting. It took me all day to get there, get this done and drive back. I sure do hope it works out!
    • At least the guy in the store didn't tell you that you were standing too close to the ball after you hit it.  Old joke.
    • I have played Ping GI (GMax) for the past three years. I also start my irons at 6i. I made sure they were a good fit at the time I bought them.  Mine are Ping, red, senior shaft.  I, too, had some difficult getting used to those shafts. I had used steel shafts for decades. It took a while of practicing my 6i,7i and 9i, one club at a time  My coach tore down my swing with these clubs to the basics to get to the level of confidence I have now. We videoed everything, including grip for each club.  We discussed the target range and loft of each clubs.  While you are tending, I think, to see these clubs as a "set", I was told to treat these as individual clubs only.   I have also used tape and spray to mark just about every practice shot I took.  And for a while I need every shot to look for patterns (I tend to hit more towards the toe.) After I examined the markings, the pattern of mis-hits was clear and that gave my coach a clear view of what needed correction. As well, we took it down to position of the face of the club at every point of the swing. We slowed down the swing until I felt comfortable with it. Finally, everything was combined into the swing I now use. Finally, we looked at any changes I might make for each of the clubs.  It took about a month of this kind of steady practice.  Now I am happy with the shots around 90% of the time. Like you, I do choke up a bit on these clubs more than my 3 hybrids.  As many have said, there could be many reasons these are not working for you. I suggest making a video and posting it on line here at TST.  
    • I know I still have a long, long way to go but this is my before swing:   Cutting way across the ball, weak slices, shanks, over the top, out to in - you name it horrible, horrible. Then after one evolvr lesson 6 days later:    Still not pretty at all, but my instructor has got my grip stronger (with my right hand at least, still working on my left hand) and I've got a sensation of trying to leave the club face more closed throughout the swing and bowing the lead wrist more, even though I'm not in reality. Ive had dramatic improvements in ball flight. Hitting a mix of straight shots, draws and occasional hooks now, and all but eliminated slicing, Gained a lot of distance too. It's turned things around for me to be honest. Now I am working on strengthening the grip with the left hand, turning out my left foot and angling my neck to match my shoulders, as per my instructors advice. Any further suggestions welcomed. Im pretty sure Im flipping the club a lot and adding loft. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. jbwright84
      jbwright84
      (35 years old)
    2. mdg74
      mdg74
      (46 years old)
    3. sofingaw
      sofingaw
      (32 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...