IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 1711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jay28 said:

Tiger should really not be playing these types of courses - it's too much for him.

He should play the easier courses with wide open fairways and easy rough where he can boost his stats so his fans can pretend he is a top level golfer. 

It's quite selfish of him to take the place of a player who could actually play Port Rush.

He nearly won the Open and the PGA last year.

Troll.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To all those new to golf...Duval showed us how punitive and mercilessly cruel the Golf Gods can be. He dared to think he ‘could make top twenty if something happens’ and that was it. Imagine the poor bastard on the 5th tee box...-2...some old feelings coming back...then BOOM! They drop his pants and have their way only to get one last dig on the 18th, send him out tarred and feathered ...then let him be told he actually got a 14 not a 13....here’s your 91. Take heed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He nearly won the Open and the PGA last year.

Troll.

And he is ranked #5 in the world, despite not playing 40 events (OWGR minimum divisor). 
With 11 top 10's in the last 2 years (not counting the Hero) - so he definitely has earned the right to be there and isn't taking anyone else's spot.

Troll somewhere else, somewhere less informed

• Like 2

Players play, tough players win!

7 hours ago, SPJr said:

Speith

He hasn’t fallen THAT bad 

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Tiger is good enough to play whatever he wants.  He is good for the game.  I personally think he needs to also play some lesser tournaments that he has a really good chance of winning.

While getting to 19 is the primary focus, getting to 83 or 85 is also important.  I also think winning is always better than Top 10’s for building momentum and putting pressure on his rivals rather than on himself.

Possibly not that different than the route Serena Williams is taking.  Playing a major win or nothing puts a ton of pressure on her.  When the other tournaments are tune-ups for the majors the pressure not to stumble 4 times a year has to be tremendous.

John

3 hours ago, Jay28 said:

Tiger should really not be playing these types of courses - it's too much for him.

He should play the easier courses with wide open fairways and easy rough where he can boost his stats so his fans can pretend he is a top level golfer. 

It's quite selfish of him to take the place of a player who could actually play Port Rush.

I read some male cow fecal matter on this site from time to time. I'm guilty it of myself at times, just for fun. 

However, saying Tiger should not be playing this course, and is taking away a spot from a better golfer, well I am going to move this opinion to the top of my "mcfm" list.

I'm not much of a TW fan, but the guy can swing a club. His career has earned him the right to play any where he wants, when he wants. He's still pretty much the face of the pga. 

Plus, looking over that first round leader board, if we were to use the OP's reasonings, there's alot of other, big name players, who probably should have taken the week off. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

21 hours ago, ChrisP said:

David Duval shoots 90. Yikes.

I’ve seen all four seasons already about 10 times in the last hour.  Crazy. One minute it’s raining, then it’s rain and wind, two minutes later it’s sunny and calm, then the rain comes back in a few minutes.

That's Ireland for you, it would be a great little country if we could only roof it

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GMac birdies the 1st!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

To all those new to golf...Duval showed us how punitive and mercilessly cruel the Golf Gods can be. He dared to think he ‘could make top twenty if something happens’ and that was it. Imagine the poor bastard on the 5th tee box...-2...some old feelings coming back...then BOOM! They drop his pants and have their way only to get one last dig on the 18th, send him out tarred and feathered ...then let him be told he actually got a 14 not a 13....here’s your 91. Take heed.

Anyone find a video of Duval?  It's kind of like a car crash - sorry it happened but I want to see how bad it was. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

It’s only Friday, but Lowry looks like he’s going to be tough to beat this weekend. Seems like the worse the conditions, the better his chances. And conditions don’t look good this weekend, particularly Sunday.

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Anyone find a video of Duval?  It's kind of like a car crash - sorry it happened but I want to see how bad it was. 

...and he's going to have to explain it in front of Brandel Chamblee in front of a massive TV audience.

Dylan Frittelli's outfit today answers the question of what Tom Kite would look like if he were part of this generation. 

I mean this as a compliment, but after typing it, I don't know how to convey that without this second sentence. 

----

Also, David Feherty:  "when I used to play with a single digit handicap, I would hurl before the first tee."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

42 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It’s only Friday, but Lowry looks like he’s going to be tough to beat this weekend. Seems like the worse the conditions, the better his chances. And conditions don’t look good this weekend, particularly Sunday.

Unless he can put some more distance between him and the others, I don't think so. Too many names a lot bigger than him still within 4 shots.

Edited by PeaceFrogg

Low key one of the best things about the Open (other than the golf) is the excellent commentary.  Watching some of the featured group coverage has been excellent.  The knowledge and wit that's available on the "secondary" coverage is quite enjoyable.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

I wouldn’t mind seeing JB take a snowman.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!