IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 1738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

43 minutes ago, skydog said:

Not loving this leaderboard. Hoping Jordan and/or Koepka can make a run tomorrow. 

Why not?  I think it’s a great leaderboard.  Lowery as the leader is huge.  Add in Holmes, Fleetwood, Westwood, Rose, Koepka, and Spieth.  

Any one of them would be a big deal.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gotta be honest, I'm pulling for Lowery. Seeing him laugh after catching that approach into 18 fat.....and the hometown crowd is just loving him. It would be a great story!

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Why not?  I think it’s a great leaderboard.  Lowery as the leader is huge.  Add in Holmes, Fleetwood, Westwood, Rose, Koepka, and Spieth.  

All that said, our winner will probably be Fritelli, Holmes or Harding.

Speaking of which, where the heck did Fritelli come from? Never heard of him until last week.

Edited by ChrisP

57 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

Unless he can put some more distance between him and the others, I don't think so. Too many names a lot bigger than him still within 4 shots.

The same could have been said of Gary Woodland at the US Open.  Yet he held off Brooks Koepka who was just a few shots behind him.  More than anything else, it depends on whether Lowry can keep his cool and perform under pressure.  If he does so, I can see him winning.  Being Irish means he will have a lot of fans rooting for him come Sunday.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

19 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The same could have been said of Gary Woodland at the US Open.  Yet he held off Brooks Koepka who was just a few shots behind him.  More than anything else, it depends on whether Lowry can keep his cool and perform under pressure.  If he does so, I can see him winning.  Being Irish means he will have a lot of fans rooting for him come Sunday.

I can see him winning too, but you stated that he looks like he's going to be tough to beat. I was merely pointing out that with so many names bunched behind him, including big ones like Rose, Koepka and Speith, it wouldn't be that hard for someone to. After all, it's not like he's built a huge lead. Plus all the fans rooting for him just adds to the pressure.

Edited by PeaceFrogg

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing JB take a snowman.

I, too, would like this tournament to last until Christmas. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing JB take a snowman.

Ugh no...watching him take 70 million practice swings on those shots only to plumb bob his tap in for 8 would drive this tournament into December!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Ugh no...watching him take 70 million practice swings on those shots only to plumb bob his tap in for 8 would drive this tournament into December!

Obligatory CPG: 

D_zOEbwXoAAM-SX.jpg

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

37 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Another reason I like Lowery. He rarely even takes a practice swing....just steps up and sends it. 

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

It’s looking better now that Lowry came back a bit. 

I guess I’m just a US homer but the Brits on the board don’t do much for me. Lowry would be a cool story and all but doesn’t get me excited to watch. I would rather see Jordan and Brooks in the mix on Sunday...hopefully they’ll have solid days tomorrow before the weather creates too much chaos on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, skydog said:

Not loving this leaderboard. Hoping Jordan and/or Koepka can make a run tomorrow. 

I'm loving the leaderboard.

Fleetwood, Rose, Lowery and Westwood right up there, Speith and Koepke on their heels.  Marvellous.

Loved Rory's round today, top class... however, glad he missed the cut.  It might give him pause to reflect on the lack of professionalism he showed on the 16th green yesterday.  That moment of madness was the difference between making the cut and not. Poetic justice.

Edited by Jay28

3 hours ago, amished said:

Low key one of the best things about the Open (other than the golf) is the excellent commentary.  Watching some of the featured group coverage has been excellent.  The knowledge and wit that's available on the "secondary" coverage is quite enjoyable.

Agreed. Always one of my favorite things about this tournament. They are more down to earth and calm, not trying to make a big deal out of everything, like the US announcers often do. I can sit and watch this tournament without anyone interesting being in contention. Just enjoying the atmosphere, course and broadcast.

"Oh look there, he made a birdie. Good on you, lad"  

VS

"AND HE DRAINS IT TO GO FIVE UNDER FOR THE DAY!!".

Edited by Zeph
  • Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

9 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

I'm loving the leaderboard.

Fleetwood, Rose, Lowery and Westwood right up there, Speith and Koepke on their heels.  Marvellous.

Loved Rory's round today, top class... however, glad he missed the cut.  It might give him pause to reflect on the lack of professionalism he showed on the 16th green yesterday.  That moment of madness was the difference between making the cut and not. Poetic justice.

I'm pretty sure Rory gets the most improved award for the day, only 14 strokes better - for whatever that's worth

Quick look I think Duval finished in 2nd most improved with his 78 {eek}

Players play, tough players win!

49 minutes ago, skydog said:

It’s looking better now that Lowry came back a bit. 

I guess I’m just a US homer but the Brits on the board don’t do much for me. Lowry would be a cool story and all but doesn’t get me excited to watch. I would rather see Jordan and Brooks in the mix on Sunday...hopefully they’ll have solid days tomorrow before the weather creates too much chaos on Sunday. 

I hope you are not counting Lowry as a brit😕

Edited by Nail

Note: This thread is 1738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!