IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 1711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh man, Xander's driver had an illegal COR when the R&A tested it before the Open this week:

GCLogo.png

Xander Schauffele became the first player to have his driver deemed non-conforming since the R&A began testing individual player’s drivers at last year’s Open Championship.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Oh man, Xander's driver had an illegal COR when the R&A tested it before the Open this week:

GCLogo.png

Xander Schauffele became the first player to have his driver deemed non-conforming since the R&A began testing individual player’s drivers at last year’s Open Championship.

Zoinks.  Callaway has some explaining to do as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I feel bad that Shane Lowry has to play with human glacier J B Holmes. I anticipate a 6 hour round from him.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

38 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I feel bad that Shane Lowry has to play with human glacier J B Holmes. I anticipate a 6 hour round from him.

Human glacier. That’s gold. $20 bucks he won’t get pinged for slow play.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

I hope it’s cold, wet and windy tomorrow so we don’t have to see anymore of these stupid shirts like Finau has on today and others have been wearing this week. They are ugly.

My passport (for now), says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" on the cover. In other words, a unitary political jurisdiction, if not a geographic one.

The UK Open would sound a bit clunky, but would be technically correct.

The British Open has entered the vernacular, I see no particular reason to remove it.

The "Open Championship" / "British Open" conversation flares up here periodically, typically each July. It's all a bit...redundant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Wonder what the odds are that Holmes will be put on the clock at some point today. I would put a few bucks down on yes.

you know what, I think you're right...I would think the R&A might be sticklers for that sort of thing ...

Azinger said pretty much the same thing....yet another thing to watch for and add to the drama   

12 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Wonder what the odds are that Holmes will be put on the clock at some point today. I would put a few bucks down on yes.

37 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Ok, ill be that guy. It’s not called the ‘British Open’. It’s not even being played in Britain.

Yes, but the full title, "UK British Open presented by Her Majesty the Queen and Dubai Duty Free" is a pain to type out, and the acronym UBOpbHMtQaDDF isn't immediately recognizable and looks like the end of a YouTube URL.

10 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Given how close drivers are to the limit, I wonder how many are illegal in practice.  I know they don't test every driver, and while I doubt a player would deliberately pick one that isn't conforming ... I think Nike at one point tested every driver they put in a pro's hands, as they were worried this would happen when someone (it ended up being K.J. Choi) was the first to win a PGA Tour event with a square driver.   K.J.'s driver was conforming, of course. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I’m finding myself rooting for ... Lee Westwood? 

He was pretty good there for a while. Feels wrong for him to never get a major. 

Wouldn’t mind Fowler or Xander winning either. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Lowry seems to be getting a lot of great bounces and lies to go with his good play.  Sometimes a omen of things to come.  He’s putting great too.

John

3 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

No matter how bad the weather tomorrow.  Lowry will be tough to beat.

John

The worse it is the harder it will be to catch him, too! I’m pulling for him to take this one, and have been since round 1!

Note: This thread is 1711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!