IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, what a round by Lowry. But its not decided yet. Tomorrow weather like it should be on the last day of the British open. Looking forward to it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the great rounds by Lowry. Brilliant composure.

His to lose on Sunday.

Excellent from the over rated Tommy Fleetwood, challenging once again at a major.

I think it's great to see these two in the final pairing as I think they are the 2 best players in the world yet to win a major.

8 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Wow, what a round by Lowry. But its not decided yet. Tomorrow weather like it should be on the last day of the British open. Looking forward to it.

It will be great if the wind blows as forecast... should see some creative links shots.😀

4 hours ago, Hazsa said:

Ok, ill be that guy. It’s not called the ‘British Open’. It’s not even being played in Britain.

Yeah, it's referred to as The Open, the premier golf tournament in the world.

I’d REALLY like to see Lowry finish it off.  What a story!

3 hours ago, jamo said:

I’m finding myself rooting for ... Lee Westwood? 

He was pretty good there for a while. Feels wrong for him to never get a major. 

Wouldn’t mind Fowler or Xander winning either. 

Agree.  I wouldn’t mind seeing Westwood pull it off at all...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I’m pulling for Lowry, but there are quite a few names in the top 10 that would be nice to see holding the claret jug. Tomorrow is going to be fun!

I see Shane Lowry is ranked 33 in WGR. 
with my favorites not even making the cut, I have to pull for Shane to win both for my prediction and having one of Irish’s own winning. 

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

28 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

Rain and up to 20mph winds tomorrow whilst the leaders are out.

👍

Lowry lucky they moved tee times up some. Going to be worst once they get to back 9. Supposed to be worst from 4pm to 9pm their time. But yes it looks ugly.

56CA555C-3EFA-4DEC-8263-B06C20BE40B0.jpeg.8163de248c487188ac9462b1edd3a99b.jpeg

Edited by ChrisP
  • Thumbs Up 1

Koepka is paired with Holmes tomorrow;  think he'll go to the restroom for five minutes in the first few holes to get them put on the clock?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Koepka is paired with Holmes tomorrow;  think he'll go to the restroom for five minutes in the first few holes to get them put on the clock?  

Haha that could get ugly. Koepka is known to call players out especially for slow play. 

What will help Lowry is three of his five wins came in pretty big events. The WGC Bridgestone, HSBC Abu Dhabi, and Irish Open. All had strong fields. Plus he tasted a major at the ‘16 USO where he had a rough final round. So he has some experience on his side.

Edited by ChrisP

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yes, but the full title, "UK British Open presented by Her Majesty the Queen and Dubai Duty Free" is a pain to type out, and the acronym UBOpbHMtQaDDF isn't immediately recognizable and looks like the end of a YouTube URL.

Top, top work

Stevie T

Why are they moving tee times up? Isn’t part of the lore of The Open the terrible weather? 

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

5 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Why are they moving tee times up? Isn’t part of the lore of The Open the terrible weather? 

There's terrible and there's unplayable. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

27 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Within reason.  With 40 MPH gusts, the ball would not stay on the green in which case they would have to call off the play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

My passport (for now), says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" on the cover. In other words, a unitary political jurisdiction, if not a geographic one.

The UK Open would sound a bit clunky, but would be technically correct.

The British Open has entered the vernacular, I see no particular reason to remove it.

The "Open Championship" / "British Open" conversation flares up here periodically, typically each July. It's all a bit...redundant.

It hasn't entered the vernacular in the uk.

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

Within reason.  With 40 MPH gusts, the ball would not stay on the green in which case they would have to call off the play.

And Monday’s forecast looks worse than Sunday. They’re not going to escape the wind even if play gets called for some of tomorrow. They come back Monday and the wind is worse. 

The worst wind I ever saw was St Andrews in 2015 the end of round 2 that Sat morning. That was insane. It was brutal cold, too. They played for like 15 minutes and said enough is enough and called it.

Edited by ChrisP

21 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Oh man, Xander's driver had an illegal COR when the R&A tested it before the Open this week:

GCLogo.png

Xander Schauffele became the first player to have his driver deemed non-conforming since the R&A began testing individual player’s drivers at last year’s Open Championship.

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Zoinks.  Callaway has some explaining to do as well.

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Given how close drivers are to the limit, I wonder how many are illegal in practice.  I know they don't test every driver, and while I doubt a player would deliberately pick one that isn't conforming ... I think Nike at one point tested every driver they put in a pro's hands, as they were worried this would happen when someone (it ended up being K.J. Choi) was the first to win a PGA Tour event with a square driver.   K.J.'s driver was conforming, of course. 

Doesn't Rule 4.1 cover this?  Or are they assuming that there was no documentation that it was conforming when manufactured?

a. Clubs Allowed in Making a Stroke

(1) Conforming Clubs. In making a stroke, a player must use a club that conforms to the requirements in the Equipment Rules:

• A club used to make a stroke must conform not only when the club is new, but also when it has been deliberately or accidentally changed in any way.

• But if the performance characteristics of a conforming club change because of wear through normal use, it is still a conforming club.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

23 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Doesn't Rule 4.1 cover this?  Or are they assuming that there was no documentation that it was conforming when manufactured?

I don’t think the COR should change from normal wear/use in a driver that new. If it wasn’t within the limits it most likely was poorly manufactured or just plain made illegal.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not a fan of Lowry.  Anyone but him.  Westy, Holmes, Koepka even and I’m not a huge fan of him either 

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!