IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My guess is one of the dark horses, i.e., non-top 20 in WGR, winning this Open.

But I am always hoping for Tiger or Rory to take the trophy.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, Yukari said:

But I am always hoping for Tiger or Rory to take the trophy.

Hopefully not in the same way Shooter took the jacket. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

16 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Looking at guys to bet $1 or $2 on, McIntyre and Niemann at 250/1. Good bargain prices there.

I'd put money on Niemann. Saw him play in Detroit, looking forward to see what he accomplishes. 

- Mark

Thursday looks like your typical "British Open weather" day. Calling for lots of rain and wind gusts in the 20-25mph range. Looks like the whole week there will be at least a 10mph wind each day. That should keep this from being a birdie fest like we've seen really since the PGA Championship. 

I sure hope we get a case of, ‘you never know in golf’ regarding Tiger. He’s saying he doesn’t feel his game ‘is too sharp right now’ and that he ‘has homework to do.’ If Tiger plays poorly and it’s a birdie fest...that will make for one boring Open for me...

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I sure hope we get a case of, ‘you never know in golf’ regarding Tiger. He’s saying he doesn’t feel his game ‘is too sharp right now’ and that he ‘has homework to do.’ If Tiger plays poorly and it’s a birdie fest...that will make for one boring Open for me...

I have a hard time seeing him being in contention this week. I hope I’m wrong, but with as little reps as he gotten, the cold weather coming in, his unfamiliarity with the course and the fact he is admitting his confidence isn’t the highest, things are looking grim.

I love what the R&A is doing with the grandstands around 18 : 

MVIMG_20190715_115756-copy.jpg

The R&A has a simple way to stop players from 'grandstopping', which you can see on the 18th green at Royal Portrush.

• Like 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

21 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I can confidently say that I have never uttered that sentence. Even in weeks where he isn't playing. ;-)

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Yeah, me too. Like him missing the cut.

Ok, we get it. You guys don't like Kuch. 

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Edited by SPJr
  • Like 2

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

35 minutes ago, Shindig said:

The R&A has a simple way to stop players from 'grandstopping', which you can see on the 18th green at Royal Portrush.

Saw this on Live From this morning. Actually think it’s a great idea. Too many guys bail into the grandstands because they know they will get a free drop. This will prevent guys from wanting to do that. If you hit into the grandstand, you deserve a tough shot after that.

Also heard them say the early starters on Thursday could get the worst of the week’s weather. That’s good for Tiger who plays later in the day. High tide and the highest winds and worst rain expected to be between 7am and noon local time.

Edited by ChrisP

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I have a hard time seeing him being in contention this week. I hope I’m wrong, but with as little reps as he gotten, the cold weather coming in, his unfamiliarity with the course and the fact he is admitting his confidence isn’t the highest, things are looking grim.

Is there a reason Tiger is not better prepared for The Open?

49 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Love it!

• Administrator
Just now, mighty said:

The last group will tee off after 4pm? Are they going to play without lights?

Same as every year. It’s light out until almost 10.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, mighty said:

The last group will tee off after 4pm? Are they going to play without lights?

This isn't 100% accurate for Portush, but look at the sunset in Belfast:

cityog.php?title=Sunrise%20and%20Sunset%

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in Belfast – Northern Ireland – United Kingdom for July 2019. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for...

9:50pm is sunset. And you can probably play for a while after that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I know this is OT, but when I visit Calgary during summer months, the sky is light upto almost about 10:30 PM to 11 PM!  So I given the latitude of Ireland, I am not surprised they have the last tee time around 4 PM.

I hope one of the "local" boys wins the Open.  It would be a great story even if it is Rory or GMac.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, SPJr said:

Ok, we get it. You guys don't like Kuch. 

Maybe they caddied for him?

32 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This isn't 100% accurate for Portush, but look at the sunset in Belfast:

cityog.php?title=Sunrise%20and%20Sunset%

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in Belfast – Northern Ireland – United Kingdom for July 2019. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for...

9:50pm is sunset. And you can probably play for a while after that.

If you're competing in a major championship, NVGs are a must have in your golf bag. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!