IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread

colin007
Note:Β This thread is 1731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Nail said:

I hope you are not counting Lowry as a britπŸ˜•

Β 

Β 

No, sorry for the confusion. Even I know better than that 😁

2 minutes ago, skydog said:

No, sorry for the confusion. Even I know better than that 😁

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the weather forecast plays out, especially Sunday’s, this thing is wide open. Sunday looks like it could be fun to watch from a train wreck standpoint. So many guys can win this. Just flip a coin.Β 

4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

All that said, our winner will probably be Fritelli, Holmes or Harding.

Speaking of which, where the heck did Fritelli come from? Never heard of him until last week.

Been on the European Tour for a few years now. Won there too. He was a very good player before last week.

2 hours ago, skydog said:

It’s looking better now that Lowry came back a bit.Β 

I guess I’m just a US homer but the Brits on the board don’t do much for me. Lowry would be a cool story and all but doesn’t get me excited to watch. I would rather see Jordan and Brooks in the mix on Sunday...hopefully they’ll have solid days tomorrow before the weather creates too much chaos on Sunday.Β 

Fair enough going with your countrymen, but Lowry is not a boring player. He has flair, unlike Spieth or Koepka.

10 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

Fair enough going with your countrymen, but Lowry is not a boring player. He has flair, unlike Spieth or Koepka.

Agree on Lowry. He'd be a popular champion. Out of all the guys in top-20, he'd be one of the top 5 or 6 I'd root for. I think Westwood would be a little more popular because he's never won a major. But Lowry is a solid player with past success who hasΒ a fun personality. He's lost his game a bit the last few years, but he has the talent to win a major, that's for sure. He nearly won the US Open in 2016 but he came apart on the back 9 big time.

A few interesting pairings tomorrow: Rahm-Reed (volcano group), Fritelli-Van Rooyen (future RSA stars group), Koepka-Rose (All-Star Ryder Cup group), Fleetwood-Westwood (The Englishmen woods group), Lowry-Holmes (The Beard group).

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jay28 said:

It might give himο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώο»Ώ pause to reflect on the lack of proο»Ώfessionalism he showeο»Ώd on the 16th green yesterdayο»Ώ.ο»ΏΒ ο»Ώ

I haven’t been able to watch all of this yet...what happened here?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

47 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Agree on Lowry. He'd be a popular champion. Out of all the guys in top-20, he'd be one of the top 5 or 6 I'd root for. I think Westwood would be a little more popular because he's never won a major. But Lowry is a solid player with past success who hasΒ a fun personality. He's lost his game a bit the last few years, but he has the talent to win a major, that's for sure. He nearly won the US Open in 2016 but he came apart on the back 9 big time.

A few interesting pairings tomorrow: Rahm-Reed (volcano group), Fritelli-Van Rooyen (future RSA stars group), Koepka-Rose (All-Star Ryder Cup group), Fleetwood-Westwood (The Englishmen woods group), Lowry-Holmes (The Beard group).

I think he has a great chance, but obviously there is a long way to go and anyone within 5 or 6 shots (or more) can win. Lowry is a proper player, and he won a big event on the ET this year. His US Open loss will help him this time. But having said all that, who would be surprised if Koepka wins again?!

4 hours ago, PeaceFrogg said:

I can see him winning too, but you stated that he looks like he's going to be tough to beat. I was merely pointing out that with so many names bunched behind him, including big ones like Rose, Koepka and Speith, it wouldn't be that hard for someone to. After all, it's not like he's built a huge lead. Plus all the fans rooting for him just adds to the pressure.

I have no doubt that someone could catch him.Β  Looking at Rory's round of 65 today, there are low scores out there if you know where to look for it.Β  I have to believe that the fans rooting for him, will only motivate him rather than add pressure.Β  Unlike Rory who was expected to win, Lowry isn't under pressure, unless he puts that on himself.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

MacIntyre reportedly confronts Stanley for not yelling fore

For a player who made the cut in his major-championship debut, Robert MacIntyre wasn’t all smiles Friday at The Open.

The 22-year-old Scot was reportedly unhappy with his playing competitor Kyle Stanley and confronted the American for failing to yell fore on two wayward shots – each of which hit spectators – during his second round at Royal Portrush.

β€œAye, there were harsh words,” MacIntyreΒ told The Scotsman. β€œIt wasn’t too pleasant. But you’ve got to tell him it’s not right. He didn’t take it well at all.”

MacIntyre said that Stanley hit a marshal on the leg on the 14thΒ hole before striking the mother of MacIntyre’s caddie, Greg Milne, on the 17thΒ hole.

β€œWe’re shouting fore as the ball is coming into the crowd, and he’s just standing watching it,” MacIntyre said. β€œAnd people didn’t have enough time to react when we shouted. It hit Greg’s mum, so I told him how it was. I said I wasn’t happy – and he didn’t really like my response. He’s the only one I’ve seen do that. It was straight into the crowd. It was into the crowd from the word go. And we’re expecting him to shout fore. She’s all right, I think, but it’s not what you want.

β€œβ€¦ It’s on the [player information] sheets, it’s on everything, you shout fore.”...

GCLogo.png

Robert MacIntyre was reportedly unhappy with his playing competitor Kyle Stanley for failing to yell fore on two wayward shots.

Β 

1 hour ago, metaswinger said:

MacIntyre said that Stanley hit a marshal on the leg on the 14thΒ hole before striking the mother of MacIntyre’s caddie, Greg Milne, on the 17thΒ hole.

His mother's name is Greg?Β  Okay...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metaswinger said:

MacIntyre reportedly confronts Stanley for not yelling fore

For a player who made the cut in his major-championship debut, Robert MacIntyre wasn’t all smiles Friday at The Open.

The 22-year-old Scot was reportedly unhappy with his playing competitor Kyle Stanley and confronted the American for failing to yell fore on two wayward shots – each of which hit spectators – during his second round at Royal Portrush.

β€œAye, there were harsh words,” MacIntyreΒ told The Scotsman. β€œIt wasn’t too pleasant. But you’ve got to tell him it’s not right. He didn’t take it well at all.”

β€œWe’re shouting fore as the ball is coming into the crowd, and he’s just standing watching it,” MacIntyre said. β€œAnd people didn’t have enough time to react when we shouted. It hit Greg’s mum, so I told him how it was. I said I wasn’t happy – and he didn’t really like my response. He’s the only one I’ve seen do that. It was straight into the crowd. It was into the crowd from the word go. And we’re expecting him to shout fore. She’s all right, I think, but it’s not what you want.

β€œβ€¦ It’s on the [player information] sheets, it’s on everything, you shout fore.”...

GCLogo.png

Robert MacIntyre was reportedly unhappy with his playing competitor Kyle Stanley for failing to yell fore on two wayward shots.

Β 

Fair play.

Stevie T

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I haven’t been able to watch all of this yet...what happened here?

Rory 3-putted from what looked like about 3 feet.

Maybe a sloppy 2nd putt, but his behavior wasn't out of line, from what I saw.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

9 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:
2019-07-18T13-52-13.742Z--1280x720.jpg?i

The championship favorite Rory McIlroy had a rough start in the first round of the Open with a double bogey on 16.

This is hard to watch considering he missed the cut by 1 stroke...

It’s too bad. He was really emotional in his post-round interview. He actually would have had a shot if he just made the cut. Truly believe that. But yeah, that 1 footers was a killer. Also the drive on 17 today. If he hits that in the fairway, it’s an easy birdie for him.

Edited by ChrisP

15 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It’s too bad. He was really emotional in his post-round interview. He actually would have had a shot if he just made the cut. Truly believe that. But yeah, that 1 footers was a killer. Also the drive on 17 today. If he hits that in the fairway, it’s an easy birdie for him.

Yeah I watched that interview live..while at work. Was hard not getting emotional myself after watching him grind so hard and fight back.

:titleist:

:tmade:

29 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Rory 3-putted from what looked like about 3 feet.

Maybe a sloppy 2nd putt, but his behavior wasn't out of line, from what I saw.

Actually it was a 4 putt, he hit the green and left the birdie putt short, if you listen to the announcers the first putt they show here is for par.

Β 

Players play, tough players win!

Note:Β This thread is 1731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!