Jump to content
mcanadiens

Driving range with a down draft?

36 posts / 1463 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

The local golf course, Troy's Miami Shores, just opened a driving range a couple of months ago. I want to like it. The grass is nice. They've got a water cooler out there. The balls are nice and new and they do a really good job with the yardage. But ...

Every freaking ball starts to drop like a rock after it gets above the tree line even when it seems like there is no wind. This has happened on a couple of occasions now. With my game, of lack there of, you never know for sure, but I don't see this anywhere else.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Limited flight range balls? It would seem counter-intuitive to have yardage markers out there, then use  balls that don't fly true......but I can't imagine what else would cause that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The local golf course, Troy's Miami Shores, just opened a driving range a couple of months ago. I want to like it. The grass is nice. They've got a water cooler out there. The balls are nice and new and they do a really good job with the yardage. But ...

Every freaking ball starts to drop like a rock after it gets above the tree line even when it seems like there is no wind. This has happened on a couple of occasions now. With my game, of lack there of, you never know for sure, but I don't see this anywhere else.

Anyone else experience something like this?

It could just be the range balls. Less spin = less hang time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, JeepXJ98 said:

Limited flight range balls? It would seem counter-intuitive to have yardage markers out there, then use  balls that don't fly true......but I can't imagine what else would cause that?

For target practice. Also, you can still gauge your distance relative to the limited flight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With range balls, I judge their flight (my hit) for the first 100, or so plus yards. All I am ever interested in, is the line they take off my club face, in regards to where I aimed, and wanted them to go. Yardage is usually suspect so I don't concern myself much with that aspect. 

There is a smallish range I know of that uses yellow, nike, limited flight balls. The course has signage that lets you know they are limited flight balls. Also signs to not steal them...lol  You know something is different about them, just in how they feel. 

The ball start off ok, but then just seems to become a dying duck. They do seem to fly true to how they are impacted though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

 

If you have a couple of your own that are a little beat up, hit them and see if the same effect happens. Also, check wind direction from the local weather and figure out if it is coming over the trees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If you have a couple of your own that are a little beat up, hit them and see if the same effect happens. Also, check wind direction from the local weather and figure out if it is coming over the trees. 

Yeah. I have some beaters I can test with, but I'd be surprised if that was the difference. As for the wind, there wasn't much that previous day and that is what had me really confused. Other days the wind was up and it sort of made sense.

On a level it doesn't matter that much how far a ball goes on the range. I get that. Still it's a crummy thing to watch when you don't understand why it is happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yeah. I have some beaters I can test with, but I'd be surprised if that was the difference. As for the wind, there wasn't much that previous day and that is what had me really confused. Other days the wind was up and it sort of made sense.

On a level it doesn't matter that much how far a ball goes on the range. I get that. Still it's a crummy thing to watch when you don't understand why it is happening. 

I see weird flight at range all the time. But like you said, not with new balls. One grass range I go to have new, full-flight balls and they seem to fly OK although they are a bit harder than the Snells I play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suppose I will have to head up there and verify this. It could be the cool, crisp air reducing your flight. #sarcasm

On another note, are you playing in either of the quota game this weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I suppose I will have to head up there and verify this. It could be the cool, crisp air reducing your flight. #sarcasm

On another note, are you playing in either of the quota game this weekend?

May play the quota game Sunday if I'm still feeling froggy.

Actually headed up to Shelby Oaks to play @Jeremie Boop on Saturday morning. You could come if you want to make that journey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

May play the quota game Sunday if I'm still feeling froggy.

Actually headed up to Shelby Oaks to play @Jeremie Boop on Saturday morning. You could come if you want to make that journey. 

I have to work a gig Saturday afternoon, so I won't be able to make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

I have to work a gig Saturday afternoon, so I won't be able to make it.

I'll try to let you know if I decide to go Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, mcanadiens said:

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

Limited flight balls use a unique dimple pattern and are only a little bit lighter, less than a gram or so?

From what I could tell, iron shots are pretty much the same until spin goes down below 4000rpm. Then they drop like a rock after 200 yards or so. I like watching that though... :-D

Here in So.Cal. We have plenty of room so the balls we use are labeled “Premium Wilson” or “Super Range” and are normal balls except 2 layer and get old pretty fast. At most they only lose 5% distance, if they still look reasonable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, mcanadiens said:

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

New doesn't mean anything. Range balls are typically harder and more durable than the balls you play with so the launch characteristics will be affected. Unless you're at a high end club that uses Pro V1s on the range, I'd still assume they're "range" balls.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I see weird flight at range all the time. But like you said, not with new balls.

Even with new balls, most ranges I go to I'm a club shorter than I am on the course, and the traj is a bit lower, too. I don't use the range for distance so I don't care, but it's a noticeable difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I look at flight with range balls. I’ll hit balls I’ve found on the course if I question the range balls. I’ll usually carry a bag ,just in case, when I go to the range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The best thing is to use a launch monitor... then you can see your performance based upon launch conditions and not where the ball lands 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, billchao said:

Unless you're at a high end club that uses Pro V1s on the range, I'd still assume they're "range" balls.

Is this a thing? Other than tour stops where the pros get their preferred balls at the range, of course.  

Although now that you mention it, tour pros have to practice away from the tournaments too, and ... how do their home clubs handle this?  

Maybe I'm venturing off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • Hi All! I started really making an effort to improve my game this summer. Took a couple of lessons and really started to make good contact with the irons and stop pulling the ball. Getting confident there. Now, I'm having a crazy issue with the driver.  The last time I was hitting my driver straight-ish, I had the ball way farther back in my stance than seemed natural for a driver, basically in the middle of my stance. The ball would be low but for the most part straight. I moved the ball forward in my stance, and all hell has broken loose. Now every shot with the driver is a hard, low-arcing hook that starts way left and stays way left. My swing with the driver doesn't feel comfortable at all. I'm going to take another lesson and ask about it, but I was wondering if any of you had had a similar experience. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Actually he did. They have two of the booths with the screens that show your ball flight and all the numbers they use. He had some other electronic device he was using behind me. This place is a really nice golf course with 27 holes, plus a really nice practice facility. They are supposed to be the best in Wisconsin for club fitting. It took me all day to get there, get this done and drive back. I sure do hope it works out!
    • At least the guy in the store didn't tell you that you were standing too close to the ball after you hit it.  Old joke.
    • I have played Ping GI (GMax) for the past three years. I also start my irons at 6i. I made sure they were a good fit at the time I bought them.  Mine are Ping, red, senior shaft.  I, too, had some difficult getting used to those shafts. I had used steel shafts for decades. It took a while of practicing my 6i,7i and 9i, one club at a time  My coach tore down my swing with these clubs to the basics to get to the level of confidence I have now. We videoed everything, including grip for each club.  We discussed the target range and loft of each clubs.  While you are tending, I think, to see these clubs as a "set", I was told to treat these as individual clubs only.   I have also used tape and spray to mark just about every practice shot I took.  And for a while I need every shot to look for patterns (I tend to hit more towards the toe.) After I examined the markings, the pattern of mis-hits was clear and that gave my coach a clear view of what needed correction. As well, we took it down to position of the face of the club at every point of the swing. We slowed down the swing until I felt comfortable with it. Finally, everything was combined into the swing I now use. Finally, we looked at any changes I might make for each of the clubs.  It took about a month of this kind of steady practice.  Now I am happy with the shots around 90% of the time. Like you, I do choke up a bit on these clubs more than my 3 hybrids.  As many have said, there could be many reasons these are not working for you. I suggest making a video and posting it on line here at TST.  
    • I know I still have a long, long way to go but this is my before swing:   Cutting way across the ball, weak slices, shanks, over the top, out to in - you name it horrible, horrible. Then after one evolvr lesson 6 days later:    Still not pretty at all, but my instructor has got my grip stronger (with my right hand at least, still working on my left hand) and I've got a sensation of trying to leave the club face more closed throughout the swing and bowing the lead wrist more, even though I'm not in reality. Ive had dramatic improvements in ball flight. Hitting a mix of straight shots, draws and occasional hooks now, and all but eliminated slicing, Gained a lot of distance too. It's turned things around for me to be honest. Now I am working on strengthening the grip with the left hand, turning out my left foot and angling my neck to match my shoulders, as per my instructors advice. Any further suggestions welcomed. Im pretty sure Im flipping the club a lot and adding loft. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. jbwright84
      jbwright84
      (35 years old)
    2. mdg74
      mdg74
      (46 years old)
    3. sofingaw
      sofingaw
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...