Talldog

Long Pants or Shorts in Hot Weather

68 posts / 2327 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

9 minutes ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

You may be a robot. 

I don’t use a glove. I sweat, just not much.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking out my window and watching the lawn guys doing my lawn. They are covered head to toe with long sleeve shirts and long pants, along with the wide brim hat. Most of the outdoor working contractors (roofers, landscapers, road crews) here are always covered from top to bottom. It may be for sun protection, heat, or a combination.

Just now, Rkrider99 said:

I'm looking out my window and watching the lawn guys doing my lawn. They are covered head to toe with long sleeve shirts and long pants, along with the wide brim hat. Most of the outdoor working contractors (roofers, landscapers, road crews) here are always covered from top to bottom. It may be for sun protection, heat, or a combination.

When you literally spend everyday all day in the sun, it's has less to do with comfort and more to do with protections. Otherwise you would be extra crispy melanoma bacon. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So you are like all the French Canadians we see on the beaches here in New England!

I understand the science behind long sleeves and pants, but I sweat a lot. I am a sweat hog. I can sweat on a cold day in January. I admit it. That is the first stage in recovery, no?

I've found that with pants (and I have tried) they tend to get wet and feel heavy even with moisture-wicking material. It just doesn't evaporate fast enough. Same with hats

I am going to try the sleeves. They arrive today. And I am looking for a broad brim hat now. Maybe that will help.

I’m the same. I’ve done the sleeves which certainly prevented direct rays from blasting my arms but I soaked them to no end. It does feel good riding the cart with the breeze hitting them though. Pants? Yeah just like you said. They become just soaked and sloppy. 

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m the same. I’ve done the sleeves which certainly prevented direct rays from blasting my arms but I soaked them to no end. It does feel good riding the cart with the breeze hitting them though. Pants? Yeah just like you said. They become just soaked and sloppy. 

And let’s not talk about swamp ass!

The boys seem to get more air circulation in loose shorts too.  :-D

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And let’s not talk about swamp ass!

The boys seem to get more air circulation in loose shorts too.  :-D

This is where the regimental kilt would really shine. Air flow directly to the nether regions!

I live in Northern California where summer temps regularly hit 100 and often go as high as 110. I started wearing pants this year and absolutely love these:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/adidas-mens-ultimate365-golf-pants-16adimltmtpntblckapb/16adimltmtpntblckapb

They keep me cool and repel water nicely. I usually wear them with long sleeve Under Armor Heat Gear and stay very comfortable. I also usually play most of my rounds in the afternoon during the heat of the day. 

I wear Adidas 360 or other light fabric pants.

5 hours ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

Here in Texas, the phrase "if you don't sweat" sounds like science fiction. 

Texas? Heck in that state you can go from shorts, and tank tops to snow ski parkas, boots, and pants in a matter of 3 or 4 holes.

You might need a set of snow/ice chains for your 4wd Clicgear trolley tires. 

22 hours ago, Shindig said:

Same question as for the others who said similar:  what kind of pants do you wear?

Not trying to be difficult, I am making a shopping list.

For me the best pants are cotton.  Otherwise, look for golf pants with modern moisture-wicking material.  Brands you will have to look in your area

30 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

For me the best pants are cotton.  Otherwise, look for golf pants with modern moisture-wicking material.  Brands you will have to look in your area

When it's super hot here (which is rare) I'm wearing a pastel aqua or light yellow golf shirt with a pair of white linen slacks.  I'm stylin', smilin' and coolin'.  The linen slacks are what they wear in the tropics and they go great with an end-of-round gin & tonic.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

11 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

During my working days when visiting jobsites, during hot summer days, just about everyone who worked in the sun were dressed from head to toe. No skin seeing the sun. Hispanics, Caucasians, Asians, it didn't matter. This was done mostly to avoid skin cancers later on in life.

Even a crew of Navjo Indians I had working would be fully dressed. 

Everyone knew how to stay cool. 

Edited by Patch

4 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Cotton?! I don't know where Bangalore is in India, but I know India gets hot. I live in NE Ohio, USA, and we can get some heat and humidity pumped our way from the Gulf of Mexico. I no longer own a single piece of cotton golfwear. Everything is now moisture wicking. It seems the older I get, the hotter it gets! 

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

Seems with multiple people saying Adidas 360 or 365, I'll have to give a pair of those a try. 

I've checked those out and they feel amazing! It seems like wearing those pants would be like wearing air!  But, the price asked is a bit prohibitive. So, I wear moisture wicking shorts and use sunblock on the exposed parts. 

19 minutes ago, Patch said:

During my working days when visiting jobsites, during hot summer days, just about everyone who worked in the sun were dressed from head to toe. No skin seeing the sun. Hispanics, Caucasians, Asians, it didn't matter. This was done mostly to avoid skin cancers later on in life.

Even a crew of Navjo Indians I had working would be fully dressed. 

Everyone knew how to stay cool. 

My buddy related the same to me regarding the construction trades. The old timers covered up to protect themselves, while the young bucks paraded around half naked! 

I also noted Sean D's comment about the climate in northern California. I was in the fine wine business for 30 years, and one year the company scheduled a trip to Napa Valley in August! It can be smoking hot there at that time. It was over 100* every day, with a couple of days hitting 110*! 

I will say this. 90* with 90% humidity like we can have here is more uncomfortable than 110* with 25% humidity out there! Yes, it's hot, but your sweat actually evaporates in that dry air and your clothes don't end up pasted to your body! 

And the thing about us golfers is, we're not forced to stay on the jobsite. Between shots we can go hunt shade! 

I wish there was a poll here with data on walkers vs riders and pants vs shorts. If you're walking, you're gonna sweat.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:57 PM, colin007 said:

I wish there was a poll here with data on walkers vs riders and pants vs shorts. If you're walking, you're gonna sweat.

Not necessarily.

Some people sweat less than others. Or in different places.

I'm one of those guys who sweats in the heat. I sweat so hard it was running off the brim of my hat in an almost steady stream onto the inside of my glasses and onto the ball when I was trying to putt. I found an adhesive absorbent insert to put in the brim of my hat that helps with that issue. I wear shorts with suspenders when the weather permits but today was 70 and raining for the first four or five holes so it was long pants and a polo shirt.