Talldog

Long Pants or Shorts in Hot Weather

67 posts / 2886 viewsLast Reply

It's turning out to be a blistering hot summer, and we're not even to the hottest month, which has gotten me thinking of ways to beat the heat.

Is it better to wear long pants to block the sun, or shorts to allow more air flow?

I've always worn shorts, but I'm rethinking my options.

Also, any recommendation of long golf pants? 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I try to wear long pants whenever possible, but I feel more comfortable in shorts in the very hot weather.  I would love more suggestions for long pants that are as comfortable as shorts.  Someone told me a while back to go to REI and get moisture-wicking hiking pants.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shorts will always be the cooler option.  A tremendous amount of body heat is trapped inside pant legs no matter how light or "breathable" they are.  Unfortunately, I have some regrettable tattoos on my legs and need to wear pants when golfing with clients or prospects.

I prefer to wear shorts, but I will wear long trousers on a wild course with lots of sticker bushes. 

Well simply in an effort to avoid making everyone puke, long pants are the only option for me.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but for me pants are cooler than shorts.  The reason is very simple, I don't have direct sunlight on my skin, which keeps me cooler.

1 hour ago, geo63 said:

I wear Van Heusen Classic Fit. Never a problem for me. Wear them year round. 

Given where you live, this is huge information.  Anything special about them in particular?  

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but for me pants are cooler than shorts.  The reason is very simple, I don't have direct sunlight on my skin, which keeps me cooler.

Ditto for me.

I used to wear shorts all the time until about 10-15 years ago.  Now I wear long pants only.  Keeps the sun off so it is cooler and I don't have to put on any sun screen.

I think I only own 1 pair of long pants. It's shorts 365 days a year for me.

In Texas with the heat, and more importantly the humidity, I would not play between April and October if I had to wear pants.  The humidity drains your soul and eventually your will to live. 

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Ditto for me.

I used to wear shorts all the time until about 10-15 years ago.  Now I wear long pants only.  Keeps the sun off so it is cooler and I don't have to put on any sun screen.

Same question as for the others who said similar:  what kind of pants do you wear?

Not trying to be difficult, I am making a shopping list.