IGNORED

Returning Player. Getting New Irons Soon, Need Some Input!

Note: This thread is 1730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Apex forged is one of the best sets of irons I have owned in my 40+ years of golfing. YMMV but definitely give them their due consideration. They feel fantastic, look good and are pretty forgiving (for forged irons) on mishits. Best of luck on your search..the hunt is always fun!

Update on this post!

I've narrowed it down to Callaway & Mizuno after getting input from you all here and doing my own reading/research outside of TST. It will either be the Apex 19s or the JPX 919 Forged, I feel like both of these sets offer what I am looking for long term and will allow room for improvement as I get better! I was almost blinded by the sleek muscle back look of those Ping i500s but after reading about them more and learning more about this newer wave of hollow irons I decided I would focus my attention on a more standard/traditional route instead!

Will update with results when I pit these two brands against one another at the fitting!

:titleist:

28 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Update on this post!

I've narrowed it down to Callaway & Mizuno after getting input from you all here and doing my own reading/research outside of TST. It will either be the Apex 19s or the JPX 919 Forged, I feel like both of these sets offer what I am looking for long term and will allow room for improvement as I get better! I was almost blinded by the sleek muscle back look of those Ping i500s but after reading about them more and learning more about this newer wave of hollow irons I decided I would focus my attention on a more standard/traditional route instead!

Will update with results when I pit these two brands against one another at the fitting!

Sounds good! And with the Mizuno/Callaway as the finalists you can’t go wrong. And yes please let us know how your fitting goes and your thoughts on each one. Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/11/2019 at 11:43 AM, ShawnSum said:

I won't lie...I'm getting pretty hyped up about it all, and you pretty much just listed all the clubs I'm interested in that are on my radar! I've already felt the difference between Forged vs non Forged but I didn't get a chance to hit some of the forged Mizuno's and people say they are pretty special so I've gotta get that done when I go back!

Sorry. You have not. This is a complete myth. You may have felt (heard) a difference, but that is about the design of the club and NOTHING to do with the fact that they are forged.

And if the eguy at the golf shop is saying stuff like "Yeah, that's the forged feel I'm talking about" or "Yhey feel like butter because they're forged", he/she is talking complete BS. There is ZERO evidence to sipport the claim. But plenty of advertising nonsense and internet experts who want to sound as if they have superhuman feel.

Example - Scotty Cameron and their "German Stainless Steel" BS. 

WARNING: You are going to confuse yourself and start believing internet myths about  forged "feel" and "workability" and before you know it your buying clubs that you think will impress others rather than yourself.

Choose a couple of sets in your price range and make sure they have the correct lie and shafts, if at all possible. They are all very similar, at the end of the day.

Otherwise, rely on a GOOD fitter and go 100% on the numbers. All iron sets by name brands are of great quality.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Sorry. You have not. This is a complete myth. You may have felt (heard) a difference, but that is about the design of the club and NOTHING to do with the fact that they are forged.

And if the eguy at the golf shop is saying stuff like "Yeah, that's the forged feel I'm talking about" or "Yhey feel like butter because they're forged", he/she is talking complete BS. There is ZERO evidence to sipport the claim. But plenty of advertising nonsense and internet experts who want to sound as if they have superhuman feel.

Example - Scotty Cameron and their "German Stainless Steel" BS. 

WARNING: You are going to confuse yourself and start believing internet myths about  forged "feel" and "workability" and before you know it your buying clubs that you think will impress others rather than yourself.

Choose a couple of sets in your price range and make sure they have the correct lie and shafts, if at all possible. They are all very similar, at the end of the day.

Otherwise, rely on a GOOD fitter and go 100% on the numbers. All iron sets by name brands are of great quality.

Fair enough...but the reason why forged and feel are often used in the same sentence is because of how forged irons are designed in comparison to cast irons. Less weight in the toe/heel, etc, etc on a forged iron vs a cast iron so by that design they naturally feel better? So could it be said that at the end of the day it's not the actual forging process that makes them feel better but the overall design...isn't it the same thing?

Definitely have zero interest in buying a set of irons to impress other people or a set of irons that I simply cannot hit/play well with! With that being said I'm not even considering certain styles. So no, I'm not going to confuse myself on that front.

I think I will be very pleased with whatever brand I end up with vs what I'm currently using, not saying what I have is garbage...but it's very dated and I'm looking forward to possibly gaining a club or more with some added distance thanks to some modern tech irons!

I was going to wait until they actually came in to post pictures and all that but I went out and found the irons for me this past weekend!! It was a pretty amazing experience and I ended up hitting 6 different brands and multiple series of irons while I was there! It was also pretty funny how everything went down too, right when I got there I told the guy that I did have my favorites as far as brand/series of irons and even told him I didn't care so much about certain brands.....lol guess what brand of irons I bought? The brand that I told him I didn't care so much for!!! When you hit them straighter and are 2 clubs longer than your current clubs and 1 club stronger vs the other new brands/series it pretty much speaks for itself.

I hit Callaway, Mizuno, Srixon, Ping, Wilson and then he handed me the TaylorMade M5s, TM was the brand I told him I didn't care so much for when I got there..lol. Didn't even have a real reason to not like TaylorMade besides I already had a TM driver and putter and I guess I wanted something different.

I think I was pretty fortunate to find a place where the people there are all about making sure you are satisfied with what you are buying vs just selling you what you think will be best. 

The Winner = TaylorMade M5s, #4-PW, -1/2", -2 Deg Flat, Stiff (can't remember the exact shaft..was too excited about how well I hit them). Gonna be the longest 1.5/2 weeks waiting on them to be made!!!!!!

Congrats! Such a great time! And getting that sweet long box and opening it is the best rush! 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

The Winner = TaylorMade M5s, #4-PW, -1/2", -2 Deg Flat, Stiff (can't remember the exact shaft..was too excited about how well I hit them). Gonna be the longest 1.5/2 weeks waiting on them to be made!!!!!!

Got the info on the shafts! Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 in a stiff flex. Next up after I get comfortable with the new irons will be wedges!!

Note: This thread is 1730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!